Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 42

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome newcomers. We are a happy bunch here.

I don' know about others here but when I first started and went VLC I had trouble that I had a hard time describing. Well after the carb flu had passed I was feeling very much like how I felt before getting my thyroid med. I thought it very weird that everyone else was talking about zero carbs and VLC to lose the weight and have energy to spare and I was not experiencing it that way.
    Sure I lost about 15 pounds initially and had more energy but then stalled for about 18 months. I think my body had to heal itself. Since I was having other very beneficial results that I have mentioned earlier I stuck with the program.

Yesterday I read an article by Dr Cate that just hit home for me and helped me understand what might have been going on there for awhile. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Going Low-Carb too Fast May Trigger Thyroid Troubles and Hormone Imbalance | drcate.com

kathytnt is offline Junior Member
    Glad to find this thread. I just joined. Some friends of mine have recently converted to Primal or Paleo eating and I am researching. I am doing a Transformation challenge that starts on Monday. We have Primal workshop coming up that I am hoping to attend. Anyone here from the Dallas area??

MooseM is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone...
    I am so happy to find this thread as well. As women of the "50ish" age category, we have specific common grounds and it's hard to find answers in a forum full of such a mix of men, athletes, and various ages.

I just turned 51. I am about 5'6", weigh 140 lbs, which sounds high to me at least, but I only wear a size 4 pants and dress. I am healthy and have no health issues except for an old whiplash injury that has caused a deteriorated disc in my neck that gives me headaches until adjusted. I take no medications and never have.

Although I am still having regular periods I do think I have some symptoms of menopause like hot flashes. I went primal 6 weeks ago and have been 100% from day 1. The only grain/bread I've had in 6 weeks is a cube of bread for communion lol. I do eat dairy but it's organic and not alot. I used to be lactose intolerant but have found since going primal that has pretty much disappeared oddly enough.
    What my problem is, and what I can't understand is that also since going primal, I have had such bad stomach bloating. I don't feel sick or gassy at all. Everything is normal, but I always look like I'm 5 months pregnant! It never goes away no matter what I do. It's clearly bloating and not fat. I would normally get bloated before periods like most women. But since going primal it's constant all the time bloating.

I keep reading all this success about how bloating has disappeared and everyone is losing weight. My weight has stayed the same. I do feel better all around since eating this way and I know it's the right way to eat without a doubt. I just can't seem to find any help or reason for this bloating problem. Not only that, but since going primal my libido has dropped to ZERO.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Hi everyone! I'm so glad to have found this thread! NOt to take away from the hard work and dedication of younger people but with age we face a whole different set of challenges, and its nice too know women my age ARE getting results! I'm 51, need to lose at least 50lb. I was skinny all my life until around late 30's early 40's. Major life style changes (going from labor intenisive job of 20+ yrs to desk job and traveling) I started wt training and cardio in my mid 20s and still exercise consistantly. I have tried Atkins, South Beach, lost few lbs but by the end of the enduction phases I was sick of the diets, gained back wt lost. I then got on the Eat Clean (Tosca Reno) band wagon eating 5-6x a day. I lost wt but constantly thinking/planning when/what to eat drove me nuts! I lost wt again, only to gain it back. Over the yrs of trying different diets, I'd gain back even more wt than I lost. I bought a Paleo book by Loren C (can't recall the title), then I bought Robb Wolfs book and have ordered Primla Blueprint. I've been playing around with Paleo for a couple weeks, got sick with a stomach virus (took days to recover) Today I'm going Paloe 100%, its time to quit playing around. I have digestive disorders (reflux and IBS) Currently I'm not on any medication and hope to stay that way for a long time!
    In regards to exericse, I was a high impact cardio junkie for years! One thing that had me bummed for a long time was having to scale down the impact, my body just can't take more than once or twice a week of it anymore. I have a history or punishing myself with exercise because my diet stinks! This just wore me out, started having knee/foot pain which is not fun at all!

I am 4 weeks away from completing P90X rotation. Its been nice not doing so much intense cardio! I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, but I've added walking DVDs a couple times a week along with P90X cardio (I sit at a desk all day and I feel I need to move more) Leslie Sansone DVDs are good IMO and you can usually find them at Wal-Mart or Target
    Leslie Sansone
    When the weather gets warmer I'll start walking outdoors again.
    Last edited by ConnieSB; 03-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I too am glad to have my in-box pop up a thread from vantage-aged women. I was a cardio and weights junkie for years too, and now work from a home office, in the forest in the country. I need more cardio now, although I do keep active and lift heavy things, etc.
    Have a great day all.

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittredge305 View Post
    I love all you primal folks, but I wanna read a journal of someone over 50!
    Me too, but I'm just not ready to put a journal out for the world to see!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    ghd hair??? what IS that post about????

janagram is offline Senior Member
    I lost a bunch of weight last year this time....eating paleo, very low carb.
    But then a few months ago, I began to put it all back on...(emotional reason, death in the family) though I still ate primally, with a little sugar being sneaked in, as in ice cream
    ....so now I try to remember what did I eat then?
    I had 2 poached eggs for brkfst, 2 natural hot dogs for lunch (plain, with mustard)
    ....and really can;t remember what dinner was......(vegetables, anyone?)
    There must be a happy medium.....cuz I need to get this weight back down!!! I feel I need a monodiet. The perfect brkfst, the perfect lunch, the perfect dinner....and repeat (changing out the dinner meat)....any ideas?
    I was just eating to keep my body going, not for pleasure.....!!!!

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathytnt View Post
    Glad to find this thread. I just joined. Some friends of mine have recently converted to Primal or Paleo eating and I am researching. I am doing a Transformation challenge that starts on Monday. We have Primal workshop coming up that I am hoping to attend. Anyone here from the Dallas area??
    Good luck, you'll love it! This is a great group...wish I were going to the workshop!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseM View Post
    Hi everyone...
    I am so happy to find this thread as well. As women of the "50ish" age category, we have specific common grounds and it's hard to find answers in a forum full of such a mix of men, athletes, and various ages.

I just turned 51. I am about 5'6", weigh 140 lbs, which sounds high to me at least, but I only wear a size 4 pants and dress. I am healthy and have no health issues except for an old whiplash injury that has caused a deteriorated disc in my neck that gives me headaches until adjusted. I take no medications and never have.

Although I am still having regular periods I do think I have some symptoms of menopause like hot flashes. I went primal 6 weeks ago and have been 100% from day 1. The only grain/bread I've had in 6 weeks is a cube of bread for communion lol. I do eat dairy but it's organic and not alot. I used to be lactose intolerant but have found since going primal that has pretty much disappeared oddly enough.
    What my problem is, and what I can't understand is that also since going primal, I have had such bad stomach bloating. I don't feel sick or gassy at all. Everything is normal, but I always look like I'm 5 months pregnant! It never goes away no matter what I do. It's clearly bloating and not fat. I would normally get bloated before periods like most women. But since going primal it's constant all the time bloating.

I keep reading all this success about how bloating has disappeared and everyone is losing weight. My weight has stayed the same. I do feel better all around since eating this way and I know it's the right way to eat without a doubt. I just can't seem to find any help or reason for this bloating problem. Not only that, but since going primal my libido has dropped to ZERO.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
    Moose~ Google FODMAPS!

Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast