Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 39

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    @ Kate Ruckman...I have arthritis with no inflammation. Although I have OA in my left knee, I still can do different things. Try bone broth and anything that might help. Kate, I'm with ya....sending best energy your way!

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    oh yay! I just discovered this thread!! I'll be 57 on the 18th of this month! I have a journal, link below, that chronicles my primal journey. I went primal "cold turkey" on Jan 3rd & am feeling better than I have in over 25 years!! After struggling with trying to lose weight & get healthy for about 35 years I have found my answers in the Paleo/Primal way of eating. Since Jan. 3rd I have lost almost 11 pounds. I haven't done that since 1980 when I went on a very restrictive High Protein/Low Carb diet of that day, worse than Atkins.

Another book to read (after reading Mark's of course), is Wheat Belly by William Smith. Very Very eyeopening & just validated that the way I'm eating is the right way!

Looking forward to sharing the journey with my over 50 warrior sisters!!
    SW-211
    CW-209

Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Bodyrock...nah, not for me at 60 years. I prefer yoga, climbing, walking, dancing, hammering, climbing some more, oh, and eating real good food ...Belly dancing sounds like a lot of fun!
    I am with you here, especially the hammering part. We are building a house right now so I am getting a lot of that in as well as heavy lifting etc. It has been a good ten years since I was building things so I am really enjoying this. I like the sore muscles at the end of the day. They don't last nearly as long as they did 10 years ago though.

I just spent the entire week doing planing and sanding on some beams for my new house and I am amazed that I don't have any arthritic pain in my hands. They are a little swolen from the constant vibration but no pain. I used to be in tears after doing something like this, my hands hurt so badly.
    I LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING.

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    I just spent the entire week doing planing and sanding on some beams for my new house and I am amazed that I don't have any arthritic pain in my hands. They are a little swolen from the constant vibration but no pain. I used to be in tears after doing something like this, my hands hurt so badly.
    I LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING.
    Congratulations, Classic! I love it when these kind of experiences happen. We just keep chugging along, trying our best to be as primal as possible, and then wham--we notice a real change, sometimes in something we least expected. And bonus points for change in something that CW says isn't possible!
    My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Well WOW, that IS good, Classic! I love those "primal leaps." So far my arthritis still kicks my behind rather often, but I think not as badly as it used to. (Very little cartilage in my knees is hard to overcome with the occasional cup of bone broth, but I'm keeping at it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Yes, indeed. I guess I should say that compared to other people my age I feel like I am much younger in both strength and health. I am looking forward to a good quality of life in my retirement (I am 60 now) without medications and much less aches and pains than I would have imagined a couple of years ago. I am certainly primal for life. I want to live life and drop dead in my tracks when my number is up. I don't want big pharma pickling me into an old doddering existence.
    Not only strength and health, but mentally, which delights me. Sure, I forget stuff on occasion, but I like to think it's because I'm juggling SO MUCH with my sharp little brain. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    Not only strength and health, but mentally, which delights me. Sure, I forget stuff on occasion, but I like to think it's because I'm juggling SO MUCH with my sharp little brain. :-)
    Oh yes, those moments of pure clarity that creep up on me way more often than I can ever remember are pure heaven. ;-) When the fog clears the sun will shine.

I've always been a huge multitasker (I'm trying to get over that, a bit!)--hey, no wonder I drop the occasional ball. Let's hear it for the fog clearing!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I can recommend swimming as an exercise for your regimes, ladies. due to Achilles tenon injuries and operations on both ankles, I got fatter and fatter because walking caused me so much pain - 15 mins of waking left me in so much pain I would hardly move for 3 days. I was actually considering buying a mobility scooter!

Since mid-August I have been swimming for exercise and trying to get back to Primal eating. Swimming is a new thing for me. I could never master the breathing for freestyle stroke as a child, even though my Mother and sister were competition swimmers and I had a pro coach treaching me. So for a long time I went away from it.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use.

So! I am now up to 36 laps (1500m in 75-90 minutes) 3 days a week a mix of kickboard and breaststroke and backstroke. On the other 3 days a week I go I do 24 laps, some walking in the water, and 15 mins of aerobic exercises in the water (jumps, running on the spot etc) – about 60 mins. And I feel great. I do all this exercise at the pool and have no pain afterwards. And this type of exercise – I do NOT ‘go for the burn’! – fits in with the Primal lifestyle, which I am aiming to get back to. I have even bought my own pair of flippers – the type that makes your muscles work harder, not the go faster ones – my own kickbooard, googgles and swim shirt. Who’d have thunk it?

I have lost over 1 kgs (& over 5 already on my 2012 goal of lose 20 kgs!), my energy levels are up, and, as some have said, my mental processes are much sharper - I am doing cryptic crosswords again.

Primal (& swimming) rocks!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast