Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 36

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    pbbrown61,
    Go to the "Forum" tab and scroll down the first page that comes up to find the journal thread.

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Lynn1 -- I think that one of the trickier things to accept with age is that everyone's body is different and it takes time to figure out what works best for you. Patience has never been one of my stronger virtues (if at all!), and the constant media hype of "Lose 20 Pounds in 3 Days!" sort of nonsense doesn't help either.

I suggest you just keep tinkering with food variations, exercise, sleep, etc. and see what evolves for you. Hang in there! My own weight loss so far (about 20 pounds over 10 months) has obviously not been speedy or that huge, plus there have been periods of stalling and even gain. The thing that did change most noticeably was a marked increase in good mood and energy. Huge win for me. That (and developing some muscles from committing to more exercise) is ultimately what I love best about being Primal.

As frustrating as the lack of immediate results can be, I say keep trying :-)

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Lynn, I have been messing around with Primal for over a year. Lack of real motivation was my problem.

I have been trying to lose weight for years after injuries to and operations on both Achilles tendons left men with a situation where I had constant pain for 2-3 days after any serious walking. In 2005/6 I laws 131.5 kegs and lots 29.5, but after a car accident I lost my way and crept back up to 120kgs. Almost twice what I should weigh, with a small to medium frame and 170cm height.

Since August I have been swimming for exercise and trying to eat better. Swimming is a new thing for me. I could never master the breathing for freestyle stroke as a child, even though my Mother and sister were competition swimmers and I had a pro coach trying to teach me (poor frustrated soul he must have been!). So for a long time I went away from it.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use. So I started with the kickboard and now have my own kickboard, golggles, flippers (muscle building short type) and snorkel! I look pro, anyway!

So! I am now up to 36 laps (1.8kms in 90-120) 3 days a week 6each of kickboard, breaststroke / backstroke, and freestyle (with a snorkel). On the other 2 or 3 days a week I go (depends how I feel, what I have on) I do 24 laps, 300m of walking in the water, and 15 mins of aerobic exercises in the water (jumps, running on the spot etc) about 60-75 mins. And I feel great.

I went back and revisited my food/weight loss diary from 2 years ago. In December 2010 (the last recorded) I had the following measurements in cm:
    Weight 121 kgs bust 145 waist 130 hips 145 upper arm 43 thigh 71.5 base of neck 47 calf 39

And the corresponding measurements for January 2012
    Weight 110 kgs bust 131 waist 119 hips 136 upper arm 39 thigh 68.5 base of neck 43 calf 39.5

I have now lost 10kgs or 8.33% of my body weight. And I do feel fantastic the swimming is really strengthening my muscles and to be able to do normal things like walk upstairs, go shopping, carry bags etc without long bouts of back pain is like a miracle. And last weekend I put on a pair of pants I hadn't worn since November, the elastic waist with a drawstring type. I've never had to use the drawstring, they have always been a firm fit. Imagine my delight when they fell down! I wish Id discovered swimming years ago!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

pbbrown61 is offline Junior Member
    Have you gals thought about creating a group for the Gals over 50?

res
    res is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Here's how:
    While on this Thread, there is a grey bar under the title. Click on the Thread Tools. Then click on Subscribe to this thread. It will take you to another page. Choose how you want to be notified (I choose instant notification through email for my own journal and through my control panel for the other journals I follow.)

Then when you are looking for this thread, sign in. At the top of the page, under the photo banner, there is a black bar. On the right it says Quick Links with a drop down arrow. Click on Subscribed Threads and it will be there...
    Whoa! You're Amazing. Thank you!

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Hi Everyone -- So great that this group is posting!

Res/Chris -- I hadn't really thought about hairloss in connection with my thyroid issues before. I wouldn't say I have "loss," but maybe a bit thinner--never had thick hair, though, so it's hard to really tell. My most problematic symptoms before getting diagnosed and during all sorts of tinkering with right dosage of meds were being exhausted alllllll the time, plus having the chills--with that last I actually kinda' enjoyed getting a hot flash every now and then :-)

I'm glad to hear you worked out. And enjoyed the music (I'm a classic funk gal myself...). I do think that at this stage/age just doing the exercise and enjoying it is more important than how,what, where, etc. I had such a fear and panic about exercise for so long--practically scarred for life by PE classes!

But one of the big gifts of going Primal has been learning that I actually like to move, and it's fun to have some muscles and be more physically capable. So bravo to Kate, Odille, and RitaRose! They've found something they enjoy and that makes a world of difference. Hmmmm, bellydancing, now that sounds like fun!
    LOL@ scared for life because of PE. Gawd, I remember those days.

You're a wise woman. I continue to have a 20 year old brain but a 57 year old body and the two are in a constant tug o war. And I'll never look 20 again but my brain isn't convinced yet. Muscles are sore and I'm feeling good about what I started at home which will help get me to the gym and the heavier weights.

I'm also menopausal which could have a lot to do with hair loss. It's rather chronic and has me freaking out for the most part. But I'm working on it.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    My workout this afternoon was playing in the snow. And it was a workout, but fun! We got about 14" of snow in two days. It isn't supposed to last long, so I went out with the grandkids and the sled.
    Sounds like fun Lisa! Kind of like walking in sand on the beach. It's a bit of a tougher workout than just the sidewalk.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbrown61 View Post
    Have you gals thought about creating a group for the Gals over 50?
    I started a section in the "Primal Women" group a couple of years ago called "Women 50+" but the groups don't seem to get as much use as these forum sites. Not sure why.

Paleonewbee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    My workout this afternoon was playing in the snow. And it was a workout, but fun! We got about 14" of snow in two days. It isn't supposed to last long, so I went out with the grandkids and the sled.
    Lisa - I love being able to get a workout in outside with the Grandkids! It is the most enjoyable type of workout for me anyway. I hate exercize!!!

Cathy
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Paleonewbee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    I started a section in the "Primal Women" group a couple of years ago called "Women 50+" but the groups don't seem to get as much use as these forum sites. Not sure why.
    I've noticed that too. It's just good to have someplace we can all post and help support each other on.

Cathy

Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast