Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 30

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Netuno View Post
    Being a newbie, can you tell me the difference between this diet and "whole foods Atkins?" Thanks!
    I'm not really familiar with "whole foods Atkins," though I did Atkins years ago. As I recall, they were OK with artificial sweeteners and such, not that heavy on avoiding processed foods. If by whole foods you mean a more sensible approach than that, I'd say they're fairly similar!

What I like about the Primal Blueprint is that it IS a blueprint, not a diet. It's a change in lifestyle. It's not really counting anything unless you really want to or feel the need. It encourages sleep, play, fun, cutting stress...it takes in the whole picture! I also like the 80/20 approach, KNOWING no one is going to be perfect, so you don't worry as much about "failing" or falling off the wagon.

My whole family (except me) went on South Beach last month, and not a one of them stuck with it. "It's TOO HARD," they said. And the lovely thing is that I don't find the Blueprint hard, at all. I've been on it since July, and it's a piece of cake, if you'll pardon the experssion!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    Thanks Kate !!

I'm loving this way of eating, but remain scared of overdoing the saturated fat......

Also, I'm confused as to how many carb grams I should be consuming?

I've read that below 50 is not healthy?

Did I read that 50 - 100 grams per day is good for losing weight?

100 - 150 is good for ???????? I can't remember... lol
    You will have to experiment for yourself to see how you feel. If you are keeping track of your carbs, try for around 100 for awhile and see how you feel. We certainly all are an experiment of 1. The thing I like about this Primal way of eating is that Mark really pushes the experiment idea to get what is right for you. There is no "one size fits all" approach here.

My best friend is 66 and was always pretty slender, but I found out she was taking a pretty hefty dose of statins and really got upset with her. (that is a entire story all by itself) I told her about this primal way and she tried it for a bit and loved the fact that she can have cream on her nuts and berries in the morning. Her Cholesterol panel is great now and she is down to the weight she was in high school and feeling great. The other day she said to me "I don't think I could go back to eating my old way now that I have these rich wonderful foods in my diet.

BTW I save the bacon fat when cooking bacon and use it for cooking other things. mmmmmmm good. I also use butter or rendered leaf lard.

SusanMcL is offline Member
    Thank you Kate and Classic !!

This whole saturated fat thing has me scared.. but I do love bacon and butter so that's a huge plus... lol

I think I've been doing too much heavy cream the last couple of days.... I feel like a kid at Christmas.... being "allowed" to have whipped cream on my fresh blueberries for dessert... but I've gone WAY overboard.... so need to cut back on that.

but I am eating eggs and bacon and butter and beef and avocados and salad dressing made with olive oil and it's all delicious !! And, of course, lots of veggies. Only blueberries for fruit. No grains, no beans, no sugar. I am eating my Greek yogurt. I love that and have no intention of giving it up.

I was worried that I'm not getting enough carbs, so I've started tracking them on FitDay and will see how it all shakes out....

ETA: It seems really difficult to get to 100 grams of carbs unless I have potatoes...... I've been having a sweet potato every day just to get my carbs up...
    Last edited by SusanMcL; 12-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome to all the newcomers! Just want to put in a plug not to be afraid of healthy saturated fats (yes, you heard that right). Saturated fats are stable, do not oxidize and go rancid nearly as easily as unsaturated. Fats are an essential part of the brain, the nerve sheaths, and every cell membrane in your body. You need fat in your diet in order to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Your body is designed to run primarily on fat as a fuel, not carbs. Eating a higher fat, low carb diet will keep you satiated for hours and hours. Food cravings will disappear.

I encourage you to eat all the skin with your chicken, the fat that comes on your chops, cook with butter or coconut oil or bacon grease or lard. Everything will taste better. You might be amazed at how much less food you need, how much more you enjoy it, and how long you can go between meals once all your fat burning apparatus is up and running again- as it should be.

The extra benefit is it will help your skin be more moist and youthful looking. You need to eat fat to make a healthy amount of skin oil. Moisturize from the inside out.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Tracking on Fitday is a good tool to give you a feel for how many carbs are in your favorite foods. After a while you won't need to do that.

Yes, that's what I did too, Classic...used fitday.com for about a month and got a good feel for it, discovered I was always under a hundred grams of carb, and stopped worrying about it. If I want to I can always go back...

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    <snip> Eating a higher fat, low carb diet will keep you satiated for hours and hours. Food cravings will disappear.

I encourage you to eat all the skin with your chicken, the fat that comes on your chops, cook with butter or coconut oil or bacon grease or lard. Everything will taste better. You might be amazed at how much less food you need, how much more you enjoy it, and how long you can go between meals once all your fat burning apparatus is up and running again- as it should be.

The extra benefit is it will help your skin be more moist and youthful looking. You need to eat fat to make a healthy amount of skin oil. Moisturize from the inside out.
    Barb, I think you're absolutely right...I almost never have cravings, I don't get raving hungry, I don't have that sweaty-upper-lip, shaky thing now. My skin hasn't exactly turned back the clock but it IS more even now, I think.

Thank you Kate and Classic !!

This whole saturated fat thing has me scared.. but I do love bacon and butter so that's a huge plus... lol

I think I've been doing too much heavy cream the last couple of days.... I feel like a kid at Christmas.... being "allowed" to have whipped cream on my fresh blueberries for dessert... but I've gone WAY overboard.... so need to cut back on that.

but I am eating eggs and bacon and butter and beef and avocados and salad dressing made with olive oil and it's all delicious !! And, of course, lots of veggies. Only blueberries for fruit. No grains, no beans, no sugar. I am eating my Greek yogurt. I love that and have no intention of giving it up.

I was worried that I'm not getting enough carbs, so I've started tracking them on FitDay and will see how it all shakes out....

ETA: It seems really difficult to get to 100 grams of carbs unless I have potatoes...... I've been having a sweet potato every day just to get my carbs up...
    Really, you don't HAVE to eat 100 carbs...though some say women do better with a few more carbs than men. It's just something to aim for, between 50 and 100 if you want to lose weight. If you don't, then maybe a little higher, also if you're active and burning a lot of carbs.

SusanMcL is offline Member
    okay.. thanks Kate. I'll try to relax :-)

I'll aim for 50 to 100, do my regular workouts and see how it goes........

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    okay.. thanks Kate. I'll try to relax :-)

I'll aim for 50 to 100, do my regular workouts and see how it goes........
    That's the nice thing, we can tailor what we do to our OWN needs. No rigid rules. If that works for you, great! It does for me...

Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast