Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 3

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just turned 58. I've been pretty consistently eating properly since about August. I was *expecting* to lose maybe 20 pounds or so, all I really needed, and I did lose 8 almost immediately. Since then, I've probably gained 4 or 5 back.

There are a couple of things I haven't got figured out: (1) can I or can I not eat dairy? I think the full-fat yogurt turns straight to fat, so I'm off it again and if I lose weight or gain definition, I think the answer will be no, I cannot eat dairy. (2) do I or do I not have a thyroid issue? I've got almost all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but they seem to be moderating. I'm willing to wait and see what happens as time goes on.

However, these have happened:

I don't grind my teeth at night any more. This is HUGE!
    Sometimes I think my teeth are startlingly whiter. Although I have no idea how that could be.
    I have more energy, and it's more stable.
    My body composition has changed. I have more muscle, more defined muscle, and I am stronger. I've definitely lost fat off my face and my lower thighs.
    No more SAD
    General elevation of mood
    No more cold hands and feet if I stay low carb.

I accept that my body wants to be the weight that it is (it's in the healthy zone) and will keep working on making it stronger.

Maybe this works a little differently when we're older, but it's still a great way to live, in my opinion.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I think my teeth are startlingly whiter. Although I have no idea how that could be.
    That is not the first time I have heard this before...I wonder if acidity in the belly and condition of the gut influence this? Also, I would not be surprisdif saliva composition changes under a primal diet. Might be worth putting up a stand-alone thread to see.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    wow, that is amazing about the teeth. I hope I stop grinding!!
    And marcadav and anagram I'll be watching your posts!

Chew the Fat is offline Junior Member
    I am 54, have a hip replacement, and have been PB since mid November. I have lost 10 lbs and am very happy. I am 99 percent compliant. My only exercise is hiking in the woods about 5x/wk, and I have noticed I am stronger going uphill than I used to be. I have less digestive upset when eating, and now there's no more snacking all day from constant hunger pangs. Now I can concentrate on what I'm doing. My mind is much clearer too, and my sleep is deeper. I have no intention of ever eating grains, milk or beans again.

Paleonewbee is offline Junior Member
    I'm 52 and new - so no journal at this point. I've been eating primal since Dec 19th and have just found it something I can live with. I mean, really live with. I've lost 10 lbs but haven't concentrated on counting calories yet. Just trying to eat the right foods and only when I'm hungry. I get some sweet cravings - still, but hope they go away. Haven't found anything primal that satisfies my sweet tooth. (I eat no dairy or artificial sweeteners.) I'd still like to loose about 30 lbs more so I'll probably have to start watching my daily calorie intake now that I've somewhat mastered this way of eating.

jacsuza is offline Member
    I'm 48 and started cutting the carbs about a year ago, both to lose some weight and to provide encouragement to DH, who needs to lose a lot. I went from 142 and looking like I was several months pregnant, to 128 and a much flatter tummy. (DH dropped about 25-30 lbs; has about the same to still go.) I definitely slacked off in the second half of the year with too many trips to fast food joints.

Since I've gotten "back on the wagon" with the new year, I've definitely noticed an improvement in my roseacea as well. For this year, I want to work on the fitness component. My goal is, ultimately, to live at least as long as my mom (she turned 92 in November!) and be in better shape than she is (she's kind of frail now).

Glad to see other women our age on the forums!

Paleonewbee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Fat View Post
    I am 54, have a hip replacement, and have been PB since mid November. I have lost 10 lbs and am very happy. I am 99 percent compliant. My only exercise is hiking in the woods about 5x/wk, and I have noticed I am stronger going uphill than I used to be. I have less digestive upset when eating, and now there's no more snacking all day from constant hunger pangs. Now I can concentrate on what I'm doing. My mind is much clearer too, and my sleep is deeper. I have no intention of ever eating grains, milk or beans again.
    I admire you! It's not easy getting a hip replaced and then hiking in the woods! I'm like you though, in that I have no intention of eating grains, dairy or beans again. My digestive system is finally at peace. My sleep is pretty much uninterrupted now, where before it was every 1.5-2 hours I'd wake up. I know I've tried everything and these changes have to be attributed to my new way of thinking/eating!! Keep up the good work - you give the rest of us incentive!!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    OK, I'll join in! Just turned 55, post-menopausal, transitioned to PB from whole foods Atkins last year, have lost 130#s since the Fall of 2009. Biggest noticeable benefit from going grain-free was no more osteo-arthritis in my hip.

I've been eating whole foods for a few years (South Beach --> Atkins --> PB) so PB was an easy move and has helped me clean up my diet even further. I have to admit I still miss beans and lentils though.

jacsuza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    have lost 130#s since the Fall of 2009.
    Wow! Congratulations!

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I am 48. I have a journal. I have been pretty bad about updating the last few days (last month as well). I don't think it really shows much recent accomplishment, but hopefully it will soon. I lost about 30 lbs around 7 years ago when I went low carb, got stuck in sort of this place I am now, but hope to change that.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast