Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 759

Thread: gals over 50? page 29

  1. #281
    Kate Ruckman's Avatar
    Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    384
    Primal Fuel
    How did I not notice this sub-group before!? delighted to find you all...I am WAY over 50, but who's counting!? Doing great with the blueprint, losing slowly, feeling better, and looking forward to sharing our special challenges! I DO think it's harder to lose weight with age, but then that's not what it's all about, for me. I plan on a great quality of life!

  2. #282
    Classic's Avatar
    Classic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    592
    Hi Kate,
    Yes, this is a much more satisfying way to eat and at this point in my life how I feel is much more important than being slender. I believe the weight will come off for me when I retire and get rid of a lot of undo stress. I really am starting to think that stress plays a huge role in weight loss. Now I don't stress about food any longer so that is one less thing to stress over. Meditation seems to help as well. It is amazing that at 59 I am still learning this. I am really looking forward to my 60's.

  3. #283
    Netuno's Avatar
    Netuno is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3
    I am 52 and 2 weeks into Paleo. I like it, though I am still missing sugar. I left another thread about Einkorn wheat. While I know wheat is a dirty word, Einkorn is the original grass, in its natural and first form before it was ever messed with or hybridized. It was found in the belly of the Ice Man from 5000 years ago. I made some bread with the flour and it was unlike anything! Dense and nutty tasting! High in protein and with only 14 chromosomes. I so want to include it occasionally in my diet!

    I am already getting bored so need some recipes girls! The piece of meat with a salad or side of broccoli is getting boring. And what oils do you cook with?

  4. #284
    Netuno's Avatar
    Netuno is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3
    Being a newbie, can you tell me the difference between this diet and "whole foods Atkins?" Thanks!

  5. #285
    SusanMcL's Avatar
    SusanMcL is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    40
    I'm a newbie also... been doing Paleo/Primal for 2 days... today is my 3rd.

    I'm still confused about the differences between Mark's Primal Blueprint and Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution. I just received both of their books and I will read them cover to cover.... but for now, can someone outline for me the main differences..

    From what I'm seeing..... Paleo is lean protein, whereas Primal is heavy on saturated fat ?
    Paleo eliminates all dairy, Primal doesn't ?
    Both allow eggs... ?

    Are those true assumptions? Any other differences?

    TIA

    I'm 66 years old... healthy except for an excess 45 lbs that I'm lugging around :-)

    Blood pressure is good. Cholesterol is higher than my doctor wants it to be but not off the charts.
    I take no meds.

    I was a "normal" weight until I hit 50 and menopause..... I quit smoking several years ago... that added some weight.. had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago.. that added more weight. ..... sooo.. with all that... I gained 45 lbs. Time to get rid of it !!!!

  6. #286
    Kate Ruckman's Avatar
    Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Netuno View Post

    I am already getting bored so need some recipes girls! The piece of meat with a salad or side of broccoli is getting boring. And what oils do you cook with?
    Take a peek at the primal recipes thread, and the Food Porn...LOTS of ideas.

    And I cook some with olive oil, a bit of toasted sesame oil (TASTY), but mostly with unsalted butter or beef fat if I need a vehicle to cook in. I'm allergic to nuts, and since coconut IS one, I avoid that just to be on the safe side...

    Good luck, you'll hit your stride and I'll bet you love it!

  7. #287
    Kate Ruckman's Avatar
    Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    I'm a newbie also... been doing Paleo/Primal for 2 days... today is my 3rd.

    I'm still confused about the differences between Mark's Primal Blueprint and Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution. I just received both of their books and I will read them cover to cover.... but for now, can someone outline for me the main differences..

    From what I'm seeing..... Paleo is lean protein, whereas Primal is heavy on saturated fat ?
    Paleo eliminates all dairy, Primal doesn't ?
    Both allow eggs... ?

    Are those true assumptions? Any other differences?

    TIA

    I'm 66 years old... healthy except for an excess 45 lbs that I'm lugging around :-)

    Blood pressure is good. Cholesterol is higher than my doctor wants it to be but not off the charts.
    I take no meds.

    I was a "normal" weight until I hit 50 and menopause..... I quit smoking several years ago... that added some weight.. had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago.. that added more weight. ..... sooo.. with all that... I gained 45 lbs. Time to get rid of it !!!!
    Hang in there! I'm 69, and have been on it since July. Feeling great, for the most part, and lost almost 20 lbs.

    I haven't read Robb's book, so I can't help there, sorry...I know he's more lean meats and no dairy, though. If you're lactose intolerant that's a good way to go, but I'm not, far as I know, so I do some dairy.

  8. #288
    Kate Ruckman's Avatar
    Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Hi Kate,
    Yes, this is a much more satisfying way to eat and at this point in my life how I feel is much more important than being slender. I believe the weight will come off for me when I retire and get rid of a lot of undo stress. I really am starting to think that stress plays a huge role in weight loss. Now I don't stress about food any longer so that is one less thing to stress over. Meditation seems to help as well. It is amazing that at 59 I am still learning this. I am really looking forward to my 60's.
    I think you're right! Stress has a lot to do with it...it's been a pretty stressful couple of years for us...okay, FOUR...and I'd gained about 25-30 lbs (EEEP.) Lost almost 20 of it again, and it's EASY for me. Thanks, Classic!

  9. #289
    SusanMcL's Avatar
    SusanMcL is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    40
    Thanks Kate !!

    I'm loving this way of eating, but remain scared of overdoing the saturated fat......

    Also, I'm confused as to how many carb grams I should be consuming?

    I've read that below 50 is not healthy?

    Did I read that 50 - 100 grams per day is good for losing weight?

    100 - 150 is good for ???????? I can't remember... lol

  10. #290
    Kate Ruckman's Avatar
    Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    384
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    Thanks Kate !!

    I'm loving this way of eating, but remain scared of overdoing the saturated fat......

    Also, I'm confused as to how many carb grams I should be consuming?

    I've read that below 50 is not healthy?

    Did I read that 50 - 100 grams per day is good for losing weight?

    100 - 150 is good for ???????? I can't remember... lol
    I know, it took me a while to get past the fat thing. I don't OVERdo it, I don't think, but I'm definitely not afraid of butter or sauteeing in beef fat I rendered myself. (I do that once or twice a week, not all the time.) I eat chicken skin on occasion, and don't worry if my steak has some marbling. Of course, that's just me!

    I believe the under 50 is when you REALLY need to jar something loose (as I recall, Atkins induction phase--2 weeks--was 20 grams or less!) Yes, 50-100 for losing, and I think the higher number is more of a maintenance level. I'm normally somewhat below 100, but not below 50. I'm not in that big of a hurry!

Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •