Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 28

Iwannabeslim is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another 50 something jumping in, nice to have a place with people sharing the same struggles. I will be 59 in December and have found Primal a life changing discovery . As soon as I began sticking to the rules I found my appetite for chocolate and other snacks plummeted, no struggling and fighting with myself! This has never happened with any other diet/eating plan.
    One of my nieces has three kids, all very different with there very own strong personalities. The littlest, two years old, was born hungry, every time you turn around she is reaching up to the table to help herself to whatever food her little mitt can grab, she absolutely lives to eat. It suddenly dawned on me that I was looking at a tiny version of me, I can remember an Uncle and Aunt of mine calling me a little Gannet (not that I knew what it was at the time!) I just wish I'd had this information years ago, instead of spending my whole life fighting a battle with my own personality.
    I am so sad to say that I have never been slim and never been happy with my physical body which is a bit sad really because it has served me well and has always been strong and healthy - but fat!!!
    Anyways it is nice to meet everybody and I look forward to continuing on the adventure with you all.
    Just need to get into the exercise now.
    PS What about that menopause thingy I had my last period at 50 and I still have regular hot flashes! Though I have never taken anything for them, thinking they would pass eventually (when I'm 90 looks like )

GrannyGrok is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannabeslim View Post
    PS What about that menopause thingy I had my last period at 50 and I still have regular hot flashes! Though I have never taken anything for them, thinking they would pass eventually (when I'm 90 looks like )
    Same here! I'm 52 now and rarely have a hot flash, if that's any encouragement! I never took anything either - I'm glad I waited it out!

GrannyGrok is offline Junior Member
    It's nice to see so many "more mature" ladies on here! I figured I'd be the only granny on this site. I hope we can offer each other support because our struggles are definitely different than they were in our 20's (or 30's....or 40's)! I've been a follower of low carb in some form or fashion for a lot of years. I've managed to keep about 20 pounds off on my own, but this year, I just couldn't seem to get anywhere. I was still tempted by carbs and caved in so many times. After reading Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis, I started questioning grains. Even when I was on Atkins, I would have a few croutons, half an English muffin, etc. After all, they just had a few carbs, right? I decided I needed to treat this like grains didn't exist, which brought me to here. I'm also trying to really increase the fat (and hopefully not gain weight and freak out), which is something I also never did with Atkins. I had also converted over to more organic meats/dairy this year, hoping that would get my weight loss going again (which it didn't). So, I'm going Primal!

Kelly Barr is offline Member
    Hi everyone, I will be 50 in February. Just started Primal on Monday. I am also a fitness instrucotr (not teaching), that is why the weight gain. I need to lose 30 lbs.... I just made myself an exercise routine daily, so far, have only managed a few this week. My biggest thing I need to give up is cocktails. That is my biggest downfall. I just cant have one glass of wine and be done, I drink the whole bottle.... I would love a group to be accountable to. I starteda journal, but it is boring......
    Kelly

Kelly Barr is offline Member
    I found aplace called Julian bakery online. I order 1 carb bread and it awesome toasted. I eat it a few x a week. It is the best.....

diving diva is offline Member
    yey, so excited !!
    At last I've found a page for silverbacks like myself, I had thought everyone doing PB was young and a fitness fanatic. But to finally find somewhere where ladies of a certain age are experiencing the same problems as me , I can't tell you how good it feels not to be on my own !

My Introduction :-

I am 50 years old ,
    I am 5'6"
    weight 165
    gw 147

have a history of dieting since 13, tried them all , lost and gained so many times, the did VLCD 4 years ago and got down to a weight of 143 and looked and felt great at that . Since then have been up and down , but don't want to go the 600 calorie route again . After lots of reading around the subject found this site , bought the book and it makes such sense. I have been low carb for a while but also low fat, so I am now eating more fat.

I have lived in the Caribbean for the past 3 years and previously was very active , walking , hiking, salsa dancing , jive , lindyhop etc etc and doing yoga, but since living here have turned into a sloth !! My only exercise now is diving and housework and gardening , which for the latter 2 in this heat is hard work .

I have been doing the Leptin reset for the last 5 weeks and I have seen lots of dramatic changes in my body.
    Back pain that was constant for 10 years has gone
    .3 x weekly- Migraines gone ,
    skin much improved,
    sweating after eating increased,
    No temptation to snack or binge anymore !

On the reset I have not counted calories , but have been eating nuts and dairy, weight went down initially by 4 lbs , but now has gone back up , I think the nuts and the diary are probably to blame , so I am going to cut those out for the time being .

As for menopause, I am not sure where I am with that , I ave a merina coil, so don't have periods anyway (had it fitted because of lots of fibroids ). I get hot sweats which are to the point of sweat dripping of my body , Much worse here than back in the cooler climate of the UK ! Do have a bit of brain fog now and again and completely off sex at the moment (poor DH !)

At the moment I seem to be completely unable to shift any weight, no matter what I do and I hate it , don't feel in control of my body !!

I am sticking with the LR principles , but now having signs of LS am going to begin to do some exercise , starting with walking and yoga , then if I continue to see improvement in LS will begin with the HIIT.

There is no grass fed meat on the island and very little organic food available, so I am doing the best I can with what I can find. Also no chance of getting blood tests done here .
    Since LR I have found that sugar gives me palpitations , and wheat makes me bloat, retain water and gives me headaches . ( I had a small cheat one weekend ). So will continue to avoid those .

I feel miles behind a lot of you as notice many have been PB for almost a year now , but at the start of my journey and looking forward to regaining control of my body , getting back some muscle tone and strength and getting through menopause with minimal symptoms !!

I really hope that this thread continues to keep going as it provides great inspiration.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I have fallen completely off the Primal wagon in the last 4 months, since August. Weight is back up about 8-10 lbs to my old setpoint of 150ish. Most of my clothes don't fit. I'm into winter hibernation mode, no exercise, knitting and watching Netflix movies online most nights. I don't feel as healthy, but I just ran out of energy to constantly stress myself over diet and gave myself permission to relax for a while. Now, unhappiness with myself is greater than the caring about obsessing about food and I'm ready to do something again. So, 2 1/2 weeks before Christmas, I'm going to start moving towards Primal again. Get back into some movement. Get back into the rest of my wardrobe!

diving diva is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I have fallen completely off the Primal wagon in the last 4 months, since August. Weight is back up about 8-10 lbs to my old setpoint of 150ish. Most of my clothes don't fit. I'm into winter hibernation mode, no exercise, knitting and watching Netflix movies online most nights. I don't feel as healthy, but I just ran out of energy to constantly stress myself over diet and gave myself permission to relax for a while. Now, unhappiness with myself is greater than the caring about obsessing about food and I'm ready to do something again. So, 2 1/2 weeks before Christmas, I'm going to start moving towards Primal again. Get back into some movement. Get back into the rest of my wardrobe!
    Good luck with the weight before Xmas , hope we all go down on the scales and up with the energy !!

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Diva! Looks like hot weather is not agreeing with you? Extremes in either direction don't agree with me either, luckily I'm in Southern California where every day is about 72 degrees!

Have you read the Primal Blueprint? Also, on this site is a couple of articles about why weight loss is stalled. You're probably just eating too many carbs.

The winter has affected me too - I'm not motivated to work out and I feel blah. I recognize that and I'm trying to beat it. Martha why is what you eat stressing you out? Sounds like you need to put some kind of routine in place where you fill your pantry and fridge with the same Primal foods every week. So you don't have to think about it. Then later when the routine is set, you can add more different foods and try different recipes.

Fibroids Diva? They should shrink and stop bothering you at some point with menopause. That ring thing doesn't sound natural, and who knows what it's doing to your hormones. I still have a little bit of hot flashes - mostly when I am too warm for sleeping.
    I changed to a Latex/foam mattress earlier this year and it is a lot cooler for me now, but I've peeled off lots of pajamas in the middle of the night!
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Older women who have dieted their entire lives really do have a hard time losing weight even eating Primally BUT I certainly feel amazingly better in so many ways and I have not gained any weight since eating this way for nearly two years now. I am almost never hungry also which is truly amazing. Even if I don't lose the weight I will continue to eat this way since I don't have to stress about food any longer. My guess is that when my body is done healing from all the stress I have put on it over the years of dieting the weight will start coming off. It is really amazing that I have not gained anything these last couple of years now. Yippie!!! I am going to appreciate this great achievement and trust in the healing process.

Every now and then I slip up for a few days and start feeling awful, achy and bloated but it only takes 2 days or so of clean eating and I feel great again. It is amazing.

Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast