Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 27

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The only advice I can offer is to start where you're at. PB makes sense to you, yeah? So, start by eating Primal. Eat plants & animals. Don't eat grains or legumes. If you must have dairy, then have some. Limit your tubers & nuts. Avoid alcohol. Get lots of rest. Move your body a little bit each day. Lift something a little heavy once in a while. Go all out effort (sprint) once a week. Play. It's that easy.

What to eat? Marks Daily Apple has tons of recipes, and the Primal Blueprint cookbook is very good. I personally HATE to cook but I made myself pick 3 things out of the PB cookbook that looked good & were simple to prepare. I went to the store, got the ingredients, and made them over the next 3 nights. Enough for a meal & lunch the next day. If I liked whatever it was, I made it again. You only need like 6 recipes to start.

Movement. I don't know how well you are able to move, but it's amazing what you can do with simple movement. Peggy Cappy has some excellent DVD's "Yoga for the Rest of Us" (although when you do mountain pose DON'T tuck your butt in. Just leave that booty hanging out in space, because that's the way we're supposed to stand) & she does an even gentler one for folks who have arthritis. ANY movement at all counts. An easy walk around the block is fine. Go a little farther the next time. I can't really sprint, so for my "all out" effort, I walk as fast as I can make myself go. I'm sure I look stupid as hell, but I don't care. It's good for me to do once a week, and it's kind of fun.

Please reply when you can. I'd love to hear how you're doing.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    I've done them on and off - the ones I can do anyway. I just jumped in and did whatever the workout that day was until I learned all the basic exercises and then started doing whichever I felt like. She uses some equipment like sandbag, kettle bells, Ugi balls, pull-up station, jumprope etc. so I just do the ones I have equipment for. The site will change now - the couple running it have split up, so we may see other people doing the workouts now - but if you subscribe to their channel on Youtube there are enough workouts archived to last anyone forever.

I like them because they are high-intensity bodyweight exercises and the workouts are short.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliprain View Post
    Just feel frozen and don't know what to do next. Anybody out there willing to offer some advice?
    Best thing to do is buy Mark's latest book - The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation - link goes to Amazon. It spells it out for you and contains worksheets for the beginner.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    JKC- Your Mom is funny!!! told hubby and he had a real good laugh too.

Fliprain is offline Junior Member
    The only advice I can offer is to start where you're at. PB makes sense to you, yeah? So, start by eating Primal. Eat plants & animals. Don't eat grains or legumes. If you must have dairy, then have some. Limit your tubers & nuts. Avoid alcohol. Get lots of rest. Move your body a little bit each day. Lift something a little heavy once in a while. Go all out effort (sprint) once a week. Play. It's that easy.

What to eat? Marks Daily Apple has tons of recipes, and the Primal Blueprint cookbook is very good. I personally HATE to cook but I made myself pick 3 things out of the PB cookbook that looked good & were simple to prepare. I went to the store, got the ingredients, and made them over the next 3 nights. Enough for a meal & lunch the next day. If I liked whatever it was, I made it again. You only need like 6 recipes to start.

Movement. I don't know how well you are able to move, but it's amazing what you can do with simple movement. Peggy Cappy has some excellent DVD's "Yoga for the Rest of Us" (although when you do mountain pose DON'T tuck your butt in. Just leave that booty hanging out in space, because that's the way we're supposed to stand) & she does an even gentler one for folks who have arthritis. ANY movement at all counts. An easy walk around the block is fine. Go a little farther the next time. I can't really sprint, so for my "all out" effort, I walk as fast as I can make myself go. I'm sure I look stupid as hell, but I don't care. It's good for me to do once a week, and it's kind of fun.

Please reply when you can. I'd love to hear how you're doing.
    Thanks! Really good info. Also, I got the 21 day challenge yesterday and have the cookbook. So it's a matter of reading and absorbing into this feeble, addled brain. LOL. This morning I had bacon and eggs with strawberries. I have chicken cooked with green chiles left over for lunch and I can make a salad from romaine and arugula and cucumbers.
    This does appeal to me. I want to be healthy for my remaining years. I want to be a help to society, not a burden.
    My learning curve needs help. Can anyone tell me why I can't do a Reply, except a quick reply? Maybe because I haven't hit the intro thread, yet?
    Thanks so much for your advice. I'm 57' live in middle America.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    . Adrianag, I'm a newbie - what is Leptin Resistance Reset or where can I find info on it? I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as strict as I am with eating and still lose weight this slowly
    The basics of Dr. Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset Prescription are:

1. Eat a Big Ass Breakfast with 50 grams protein within 30 minutes of waking (7 eggs, 7 oz. Meat)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day 4-5 hours apart
    3. Eat paleo or primal diet, no more tha 50 grams carbs per day (25 if obese)
    4. No snacking between meals except for black coffee or green tea (no cream, sugar, coconut milk)
    5. Eat dinner at least 4-5 hours before bedtime
    6. No cardio or heavy lifting during reset (6-8 weeks), walking OK

This will get you started:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse
    THE LEPTIN RX……….. FAQ’s | Jack Kruse

There is also an epic thread here on MDA that just hit 10,000 posts this week. When it got monstrously big we helped Dr. Kruse develop the FAQs. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
    Last edited by Adrianag; 11-01-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    So I can find it later~

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    I was helped with this just yesterday. At the top of the page next to 'Forum Actions' are the words 'Quick Links'. In there, click on 'subscribed threads'. You can add the page you want and then just open quick links when you want to find it again. HTH.

Penguin is offline Junior Member
    Hello Ladies. I'm brand new here. My story reads just like many of those I've read on this thread.

Skinny kid. Got heavy at puberty. Got heavier as an adult. Tried every diet in the book but am still overweight. I had the most success with Weightwatchers but resented the fact that all the counting and calculating ruled my life, as well as the fact that I was almost always hungry.

Lots of stomach issues over the years and a lack of energy. Recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I feel MUCH better without gluten in my diet. Even the gluten-free bread upsets me so there must be something else, perhaps the yeast?

Over the last six months, I've tried SO hard to lose weight. I walk for up to an hour a day and I run three times a week. All of the gluten containing foods are gone. Caffeine and sugars are gone. My one indulgence is a glass of wine or two. Still, my weight is creeping up.

This program sounds wonderful but after so many years of cabbage soup, grapefruit etc diets, I'm skeptical.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Penguin

I started Primal eating and exercising in July. Previous weight loss efforts were WW and Calorie counting, several times getting almost to goal before going off the track. Eating Primal seems to be a ridiculously easy way to keep my weight stable and I feel so much better. If I do over eat and put on a few grams then it just falls off again seemingly without much effort. I think it's because the cravings have gone so it's very easy to get back on track before any damage is done. I eat so much food I'm never really hungry between meals so not as tempted to pick. The other thing is sweets, chocolates, bakery stuff has lost its appeal. I walk up to 8km 3-4 times a week and do the exercises in Mark's Primal Fitness E book (that I downloaded) on the other days.

There is so much information available and tools to use on this site, not to mention the huge number of helpful people who participate in the forums. If you have a question or just need a bit of support there is always someone here to help.

I was just going to say "Good luck on this journey" then thought, No! It isn't luck, but mostly determination and persistence that helps us achieve our goals. Hope to keep seeing you here.

Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast