Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 22

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Love the gin martini idea too, but between getting older and Primal, I seriously can't drink at all.

Definitely a sad part of going Primal, though it's worth it to feel better.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Violette is offline Senior Member
    I have a little trouble getting to this thread. Usually I go to Primal Nutrition and choose from there.

It's dreary and overcast here after raining all night. This is not uplifting! I read an article on Mercola the other day that inspired me. I'll try to find it and post a link here:

Is Your Food Aging You?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I drink very little now too. Usually because I'm the designated driver, but also because I can't stand that hangover feeling. I probably have a glass of wine at Xmas or other special occasions and perhaps half a beer if it's really stinking hot out, but that's it for me.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, me too. I find I just do't have the tolerance for it that I used to. I'm not sure how much of that is going Primal, how much is menopause, and how much is just generally getting older.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I seem to be ok with a glass of wine now and then but when I had a cocktail a couple of weeks ago I had a terrible time sleeping and felt awful the next day. It felt like I had been drinking all night or something. yuk. I will stick with the occasional glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    I seem to be ok with a glass of wine now and then but when I had a cocktail a couple of weeks ago I had a terrible time sleeping and felt awful the next day. It felt like I had been drinking all night or something. yuk. I will stick with the occasional glass of wine.
    Same. I had a big martini last night and zowie, awake at 2:30am. I slipped on a puddle in the Produce Section yesterday so decided a drink would be good before din. Nope. But, must say that I slipped like a ballerina quite gracefully.

I remember in my martini or G & T days I'd awaken a lot. Well, those days have been over since Mother's Day. Occas wine here too.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Well, I am 54 having all the terrible symptoms of menopause, yet still having periods. I am on a low dose estradiol patch so I can get some semblance of sleep - otherwise I am awakened every 90 minutes with a scorching hot flash. On this dose I still have about one hot flash a night, but it is tolerable. I am getting more lower pelvic cramps - both during a period and when not menstruating - than I ever did in my younger days. Last month I had 14 days straight of severe cramping. OUCH! I get bad headaches when my hormone levels go up or down or both. And I am just so much more fatigued than I was 2 years ago. I guess I am struggling with just not feeling very good a lot of the time.

I have been primal for 1.5 years now, and happily so. I am comfortable eating pretty low carb and can easily go 6-7 hours between meals without much hunger. I have recently been following a few of the leptin sensitivity rules - eating just 3 meals a day and no eating after dinner, dinner 3 hrs before bed (except on the 3 days a week that I work, when I have to eat dinner at 8:00 pm). I have no need to lose weight at 5'5" and 118 lbs.

My problems are that I am just not sleeping very well - often waking at 3:30 or 4:00 and not really getting back to sleep - and then just feeling pretty fatigued much of the time. I have stopped working out with weights due to fatigue and my exercise consists of walking and some biking. I have experimented with eating more carbs at dinner to see if it helps my sleep, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

I feel like I should be feeling better than I do because I am eating so much better than I used to - no processed food! grass-fed beef! raw milk! pastured eggs! Organic vegetables! But just a couple years ago when I was eating lots of bread and cereal and candy in the afternoon when my energy flagged a bit I had so much more energy than I do now. I guess I just need to whine. And the truth is, I would be feeling even worse if I was still eating that way. I have no desire to go back to the SAD.

Has any one gone through menopause and felt like crap but then regained their energy on the other side of it? I need some encouragement. Thanks for listening!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Barb, I'm 54 too. And still having periods. I've been on oral estradiol for several years,when tests revealed undetectable levels. I'm also on prometrium as taking estradiol unopposed can cause uterine lining buildup and possibly cancer. I hate the prometruim and only take it every 3-4 months for 10-12 days.

If you're not supplementing progesterone you might want an ultrasound to check uterine lining. It might explain the cramping.

Daytime hot flashes have never been a real problem for me. I've only had a handful. Night sweats and insomnia are another story. HRT has helped but I still go through times when I wake up soaked and cant get back to sleep. At one point insomnia was so bad I was on prescription sleeping pills.

I am also hypothyroid and know it can cause fatigue and sleep issues, as can low ferritin. If you haven't had these things tested I suggest ruling them out.

For thyroid tests make sure to get a full panel-- TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and antibodies. Make sure the tests are for frees not total as estrogen supplementation interferes with thyroid hormone so testing total T4 & T3 wont give a clear/accurate picture.

I started menopause when I was 57. I'd been using natural progesterone for years and had begun natural estrogen (tri-est, but I now use bi-est) for several years. I never got hot flashes. I see you are in Seattle. Do you know of Jonathan V Wright, MD who was the first to prescribe natural estrogen? He is at the Tahoma Clinic. I have been a follower of his since I attended a class of his in LA. A very bright man. He wrote a short book on natural hormone replacement.

BTW I had terrible PMS and cramps before I started the progesterone and tri-est... The natural progesterone is available OTC but u need an Rx for the tri-est from a physician experienced in alternative medicine.

Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast