Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 21

Violette is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think I'm following a similar plan. Last time I ate in a similar way I got to my own healthy thin weight without dieting. I've been trying to do the same thing but couldn't remember exactly. I am just getting back into it. So, I have no goal weight but want what it was last October. I think this will happen now that I'm back on course. And it's even better now with the Leptin Reset threads and all this support.

I agree, my body doesn't want to think it has to lose weight. And my goal is to eat the way I think I want to and not be led by cravings and hypoglycemia or whatever else tries to control me. I'm doing the 3 meals too and it's new to me. Even when I did well before I had little snacks. But apparently those snacks kept me from healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    I have been eating Primal since Feb of 2010 and lost about 13 pounds the first couple of months but stopped (even gained 2-5) after that and haven't been able to lose till the last couple of months. I was not gaining, most of that tim, and do feel amazingly better eating this way.

I decided to stop focusing on losing weight and just focus on being healthy and eating nutrition dense foods with focused relaxation (meditation). I also have only been eating 3 meals a day with no snacking in between and I stop eating at least 3 hours before bed. I seem to have a bit more energy and have lost 5.5 lbs these last couple of months.

It may be that just the thought of trying to lose weight makes my body go into preservation mode or something. Stress also plays a big role for me. I believe the meditation has helped the most. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues. I am going to continue to focus on the stress aspect mostly.

I keep checking back every few days hoping somebody has posted.

I do remember one more thing about my former success. I did my treadmill walking after dinner. And the dinner was the smallest meal of the day. I had a high protein breakie and lunch too. It was quite a bit like the Leptin Reset. It was primal except that I had corn chips and a gin martini for dinner! Well, I'm not drinking now or doing the corn chips. But at this time of year it is light enough to do a walk after dinner.

It took me so long to remember what I did since I din't take notes.

Hope to hear from somebody but maybe this is a dead thread?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I think sometimes that threads just drop down too many pages and people don't pick up on them. This little bump should help
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

belinda is offline Senior Member
    @ LadyC ... have you figured out why you're gaining on the Leptin re-set? Were you fasting before?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Addition to my post above. I was describing my activity and eating for two weeks spent in Palm Desert year before last when I felt so good. I ate a high protein breakie with an 2 egg omelette with veggies, maybe 6 pcs bacon, and a half grapefruit. Then I'd go next door to Starbucks for a latte. DH and I would have dinner around 3. I'm grain free so that would be a beef patty or chicken and a green salad. Then, at 6, I would have tortilla chips, and a martini. My DH would have no drink since he was ill with prostatitis. That was the reason we stayed so long. Otherwise, we'd have only been there 3 days.

I would walk for an hour or so during the day. And around 7, I'd go on the treadmill for an hour. ....

The upshot is that, without intending it, I lost weight and felt good. I also did an hour of gentle exercise when I awakened. Stretching mostly..

Now, looking back, I see I was walking after eating. Oh, think I'll take a little walk now. Out of the pajamas and into the yoga pants.

@LC sister-chick: hoot hoot.

Hi Sister-Chicks,
    I do like that. hehe. Well, I'm writing to tell you that I feel GOOD for the first time since maybe January. I really never thought I would again. I'm such a CO that once I break out, it goes on endlessly. That happened when I got surgery on my leg veins. I strove valiantly for a while but then lost it. I don't want to go into that just now since it's grim.

But I've been paleo for a long time. It's easy to go astray and think you're still doing it right. Then you get thoughts like, "I'm too old." Well, I'm 66 and I'm not too old to feel strong and healthy again.

By saying I feel good, I mean my clothes almost fit, by body feel strong, I feel unhopeless! That sort of thing. When I got out of bed this morning, my body felt light and lithe. Like it moved well. This has not happened in months. And I have to tell you that when it happened before it was a new thing. I only felt that way for about a year or 2. It's not been a lifelong thing.

So, chicks, we can do this.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I just spent the last 2 mornings doing heavy landscaping at my church. Shovelling topsoil and mulch, pushing and dumping wheelbarrows, on knees smoothing all that out. 3.5 hours each morning, just me and one other gal, also north of 50. About 200 running feet of gardens completely overhauled, two sides of the building. I felt so strong and had endless energy for more and more barrow loads. It's all about pacing, going slow but long.

Like you, Violette, I'm feeling GOOD!

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Hi
    I would like to join in. I grew up more primal than not, however there were grains involved, mostly in the way of corn. I've been fully primal now since May. I haven't really seen anything dramatic (yet) as far as weight loss or change in clothing sizes. My capris that I wear though are making little folds of fabric all up and down my legs, so obviously I am losing some fat there. I've actually wondered if a part of this is due to the fact that I eliminated the majority of the SAD foods over a year ago ....
    The one thing that I have realized is that I am not stressed over food now and this is an amazing thing for me !
    When I got back the results of multiple tests a year ago April, I eliminated all gluten, all dairy, plus over 20 other foods that I am reactive to (including all nightshades). I had been off of sugar for about 6 months when I was tested and cut out 90% of all processed foods then as well. One of my first reactions to the medical absolute that I would not have gluten or dairy again was to stock up on non-gluten things like gluten-free crackers and flours. The flours are all unopened in a big basket, sitting there for the past year. Yeah, I ate the damn crackers. That shopping spree still mystifies me because I've never been one for bread and baked goods. Panic reaction I suppose.
    I did two rounds of hcg, with the extreme caloric restrictions, lost around 40lbs ... 15 that came back after the hcg injections and 600 calorie days were over; went the route then of 6 small meals a day, 3 of them egg white protein shakes (and that added in another 5lbs). Truthfully I was hungry 95% of the time with the 6 meal thing and stressed to the max with having to eat all the time. I finally got to the point where instead of feeling stronger and energized, I was depressed, and generally pissed off at everyone and everything.
    I spent days looking through primal/paleo books on Amazon, I knew that I needed to get back to how I ate when I was a kid, well minus the grains and dairy (cheese and occasionally sour cream). Thankfully one day Twibble posted about PB on a Celiac email list we are both on and I found this site.
    I've been doing the leptin reset, with the exception of two-three days where I have not managed the first meal within 30 minutes or so after getting up - and the fact that I am working out in the mornings. I do weights 3 days a week, body weight things at home and getting back to sprints on the spinner and outside soon now that my foot has healed more.
    I've been using a lot of meals out of Everyday Paleo as well as meals on here. I cut out fruit about 2 weeks ago, with the exception of a handful of blueberries this week ... I am still looking at online counters, but I have been keeping the overall carbs down, especially without the fruit.
    I cut WAY back on nuts, keeping it to macs and very minimal (allergic to almonds) ....

Meals yesterday - bacon, eggs cooked in coconut oil, handful of fresh arugula
    grilled portabello shroom with chicken, 1/2 avocado, arugula, onions
    pork chop, mixed veg stir fry (okra, broccoli, shrooms, celery, 5 baby carrots)

So far today ... 2 eggs, arugula, and a leftover pork chop

Strength wise I am moving along well ... increasing weights, added in more squats (doing weighted goblet squats and adding in deeper ones - with a wider stance with the bar this week) ... but I do admit to a sizable amount of frustration that I haven't seen a big inch loss. I've been working out consistently for 2 years with no great visible change in body composition.
    Because of this I can't help but wonder if there is still something I need to tweak ....
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette View Post
    I keep checking back every few days hoping somebody has posted.

I do remember one more thing about my former success. I did my treadmill walking after dinner. And the dinner was the smallest meal of the day. I had a high protein breakie and lunch too. It was quite a bit like the Leptin Reset. It was primal except that I had corn chips and a gin martini for dinner! Well, I'm not drinking now or doing the corn chips. But at this time of year it is light enough to do a walk after dinner.

It took me so long to remember what I did since I din't take notes.

Hope to hear from somebody but maybe this is a dead thread?
    Hi Violette,
    I like the gin martini idea. ;-) I can't handle them very often anymore but once in awhile I like to sip one with 3 olives. Gotta have something to chew on while I enjoy. I have to say that I have had much more energy this last couple of weeks than I have had in years. I went out to our property last weekend and cut wood all day and felt great. Was a little sore the next day but not too bad for a 59 year old bat. I think the sunshine has helped me a lot as well. I just feel good inside.

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast