Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 16

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey, PB, thanks! As I've finished up some semi-PB stuff like dairy products and nut butters, I'm considering not replacing them, but continuing to get every more primal with mostly proteins, fats, & low carb vegies. After I read the other thread on calorie restriction, I wasn't scared of it. And I'm also into mindfulness, so the way you phrased it was just what I needed to hear.

I'm just staying the course. I feel good, and my mind is CLEAR. E.g., yesterday DH opened the cleaning closet & noticed that I had meticulously organized all our cleaning cloths/rags/towels/etc. I told him when I eat well, as I've been doing, I get really productive & organized. (He's still not ready to give up his Cheerios habit, tho.)

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    It's amazing how many adults eat cereal on a regular basis. Cereal really is the devil.

Jane can you come and organize my house next?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I used to be addicted to Rice Krispies.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    Hey, PB, thanks! As I've finished up some semi-PB stuff like dairy products and nut butters, I'm considering not replacing them, but continuing to get every more primal with mostly proteins, fats, & low carb vegies. After I read the other thread on calorie restriction, I wasn't scared of it. And I'm also into mindfulness, so the way you phrased it was just what I needed to hear.

I'm just staying the course. I feel good, and my mind is CLEAR. E.g., yesterday DH opened the cleaning closet & noticed that I had meticulously organized all our cleaning cloths/rags/towels/etc. I told him when I eat well, as I've been doing, I get really productive & organized. (He's still not ready to give up his Cheerios habit, tho.)
    Clarity is a good thing. I think once you start counting some macros for a week or two you will see that the nut butters and the dairy just kind of naturally fall away. You don't get much bang for your buck in terms of the protein/calories tradeoff with those foods.

And yes, cereal is evil. I know a middle aged man who eats cereal for dinner because he can't be bothered to cook.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I used to be addicted to Rice Krispies.
    I never kept cereal in the house, I knew I could easily over-do it. I let my children have cereal only in the summer, happily neither of them wanted cereal as they got older or now. Cereal is one of those especially insidious foods that people have seen as far better than it is. There was a study done in the early 80s in which one group of rats was fed Frosted Flakes, and the other group ate the ground up box from the FF. The box eaters where healthier at the end of the trial.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Paleobird Guest
    I used to eat a bowl of Kashi with non-fat milk along with a big glass of OJ for breakfast and thought I was being so healthy.

Oh, believe me, I have eaten my share of cold cereals, so I totally sympathize with DH's inability to eat one serving and stop. I'm the same way. But that is in part why I prefer to just not start eating it at all. Over the years I've gotten quite good at passing things by in the supermarket--much easier than controlling myself around them once they're in my house. I just keep trying to encourage DH to believe this.

Gina, which room shall we start in?

Dellastreet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    Jane can you come and organize my house next?
    Oh my. I read 'Jane can you....' as 'Jesus can you...' I've asked for a lot of things, but never thought to ask Jesus to come clean my house. It's an option though!

Well, hello ladies. May I join this group? I am 57, diabetic, recent former low fat vegan, getting used to eating meat again. I really thought that being vegan would help my diabetes (see Mark's article 'My Escape from Vegan Island' for what I was into with McDougall), but it just never worked for me. Over 3 years I've only lost 20 lbs, my blood sugars are not where they should be and I need to do something.

Maybe 10 yrs ago I tried Atkins and got so depressed over what I couldn't eat, I couldn't stick to it. I don't know if I was a carb addict, but the idea of no rice or crackers just threw me for a loop and I already felt 'punished' for being diabetic and having to take meds, etc. Since that time, I've come to a better understanding of carbs and diabetes control and have decided to take back my health before it's too late. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family and a few have died from its complications. So far, my health is good, but I know the sugar in the blood stream is doing insidious damage and I have to put an end to it. I'd also like to free myself from the expense of diabetes care and frequent doctor visits (and I have good insurance).

So, I started back on the new Atkins program for vegetarians and vegans, but when I learned about Primal eating, I could see immediately that the Atkins option was giving me too many grain-based carbs and I might still have a problem with blood sugar control. Now I'm eating meat again, trying to understand this whole Primal thing, reading the boards here and on other Primal/Paleo sites and looking at recipes. I love to cook and became quite the vegan cook/baker. I realized I needed to cut out the vegan sweets : ( , but it still wasn't enough to get my diabetes in control. I know low carb works for most diabetics and I'm here to give it another try. I'd also like to be slimmer before I hit 60. I'm tired of being the plump, but really cute, person in the room.

Nice to meet all of you.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome aboard Dellastreet! I hope you find a way to kick the diabetes - many primal diabetic folks have posted on this site about getting off meds, great improvements in blood sugars, etc. Take a look around - there are some great success stories.

I am not diabetic, but have found that I almost never miss the carb laden foods that I thought I would feel deprived without. The key has been getting plenty of fat in my diet, particularly animal fat (butter, cream, fatty meats, chicken skin). Bread, cereal, pasta - none of that tempts me. My taste buds have changed too, I am much more sensitive to sweet and a small amount of sweetness satisfies. I find most sweet "treats" (cakes, cookies, etc) are just WAY too sweet for my taste now. I have been eating primal for a year and a half and find it incredibly satisfying. I don't feel deprived or like I am on a some kind of "diet". It is just the kind of food I prefer to eat now. It seems very normal to me. What seems ABNORMAL is all the processed, packaged, sweetened, industrial junk that passes for food nowadays (even all the organic, processed, packaged, industrial, vegan food at my food coop!).

I tried it for the health benefits and I stayed because I love the food I get to eat.....keep us posted as to how you are adjusting.

Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast