Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 15

Honeybear is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I blog about my struggles with food and about the joys and pains of daily life at pinesiskin

Would love to have any of you visit and comment! I still haven't taken the Primal Challenge but visit this site daily. My church teaches vegetarianism, and I'm not that big of a meat eater, but do love eggs and cheese and the occasional steak! I think I can be more or less primal just by eating lots of veggies and a big omelet every day. What do you guys think?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat fish? If you're not eating grains and don't eat tofu, you'd probably do ok
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Cletc ...Hi Ladies, I'm new
    I was supposed to be new last week or so, but have been reading so much on the internet about fat loss and nutrition I lost my way....Advice welcomed and requested.
    PRIMAL DIET – EAT THIS, NOT THAT

EAT THIS
    - Meat (preferably grass-fed)
    - Poultry (preferably free-range)
    - Fish (preferably wild-caught)
    - Eggs (preferably cage-free)
    - Non-starchy and/or green vegetables (preferably organic)
    - Avocado
    - Butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
    - Lard
    - Ghee
    - Coconut oil
    - Coconut milk
    - Olive oil (but not for cooking)
    - A berry (up to a handful)

YOU CAN AND SHOULD EAT IT. In fact, it should be the backbone of your diet.

NOT THAT
    - A legume (bean, pea, peanut)
    - A grain (wheat, corn, rice) or made of a grain (cereal, oatmeal, bread, cake, tortilla, pasta)
    - A processed food product
    - A "low-fat" manufactured food product
    - A "low-carb" manufactured food product
    - A "diet" manufactured food product
    - Anything with an ingredient that ends in "ose" (sucrose, glucose, fructose) or that contains sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
    - Anything from the center aisles of the grocery store...

YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IT. Throw it away (unless it's a cleaning or stationery product, in which case use it for its appropriate purpose).

EAT IN MODERATION
    - Dairy product (milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, half & half) , whole milk (not low-fat)
    - Nuts (peanuts are not nuts)
    - A seed
    - A fruit other than a berry
    - A starchy or sugary vegetable (carrot, beet, winter squash)
    - A tuber (potato, sweet potato, yam)
    - A nightshade (tomato, bell pepper)
    - Coffee

UNLESS:
    - You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
    - You are lactose intolerant (for dairy)
    - You are significantly inactive/sedentary
    - You are insulin resistant (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, tubers, and coffee)
    - You want to go 100% evolutionary diet and avoid anything we aren't sure he ate

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Ladies. Hope you all are doing well.

I've finished two complete weeks of PB and have lost zero weight. I get discouraged, but then I remember my thyroid issues are still being worked out, and hey, I wasn't losing on Weight Watchers anymore, either. So, I'll stick with this WOE, as intended.

I am kinda proud that I've eaten very little non-PB foods in the past couple weeks. Today I split a luscious strawberry shortcake with DH. We get this at a local art fair once a year. The shortcakes are homemade, the strawberries are fresh, the whipped cream is real and unsweetened, and the vanilla ice cream is good, even tho the church ladies don't make it, LOL. Anyway, I stuck to the strawberries, whipped cream, & ice cream, & ate a couple bites of the shortbread. Yay for DH for cleanup!

I just did a boatload of gardening, which falls somewhat in the LHT category, and somewhat in the move slowly category. I feel like I've had a productive day.

OH! Got a piece of FRESH (as in, was swimming yesterday) salmon that was flown in from Alaska to central Indiana! It was expensive, but we never eat out. I'm planning on grilling it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. My favorite grilled salmon recipe is to lay the fillet on a piece of greased foil, drizzle olive oil over it. Then sprinkle with capers and a little of the caper juice. This I grill on high for 10 minutes. Comes out med rare and lovely. I just did this yesterday with some fresh Copper River salmon. Yummmm Enjoy your meal.

It poured rain here so no grilling outside. I started it off atop the (ancient) Jenn-Air electric stove grill appliance, but I couldn't see how the top of the fillet would ever get cooked, so I finished it off in the oven. It was really succulent--also fresh Copper River salmon.

I'd like to grill chicken today, but the skies are threatening again. We'll see...

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    Hi, Ladies. Hope you all are doing well.

I've finished two complete weeks of PB and have lost zero weight. I get discouraged, but then I remember my thyroid issues are still being worked out, and hey, I wasn't losing on Weight Watchers anymore, either. So, I'll stick with this WOE, as intended.

I am kinda proud that I've eaten very little non-PB foods in the past couple weeks. Today I split a luscious strawberry shortcake with DH. We get this at a local art fair once a year. The shortcakes are homemade, the strawberries are fresh, the whipped cream is real and unsweetened, and the vanilla ice cream is good, even tho the church ladies don't make it, LOL. Anyway, I stuck to the strawberries, whipped cream, & ice cream, & ate a couple bites of the shortbread. Yay for DH for cleanup!

I just did a boatload of gardening, which falls somewhat in the LHT category, and somewhat in the move slowly category. I feel like I've had a productive day.

OH! Got a piece of FRESH (as in, was swimming yesterday) salmon that was flown in from Alaska to central Indiana! It was expensive, but we never eat out. I'm planning on grilling it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    Read Paleobird's recent thread on calorie restriction. Primal is winderful, but it is easy to take in all your body needs, in which case there is no need for the bod to release its stores.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

I think I need to recant my "zero weight" statement. As of yesterday my weight *is* down about four pounds since I began. I guess I was feeling disappointed that the weight isn't just "melting away" like it seems to for some.

Anyway, I'll keep on keepin' on. I'm not quite ready to consider calorie restriction, just the though brings up a lot of <<feelings>> for me. But I'm also going to continue practicing patience, and work toward getting my thyroid/immune system issues worked out, too.

Update: I have read the calorie restriction thread and found it to be very interesting. Didn't bring up any <<feelings>> at all, LOL! Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    I'd be happy to help out if there are any questions you might have. I've lost 18 pounds since March.

CW style calorie counting is torture. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I think Jenny had the best term for this new kind of calorie restriction within the PB plan. She called it "mindful eating". I liked that. There are a lot of negative, stressful connotations to calorie counting learned through years of doing it the CW way that just don't apply here.

Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast