Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 13

eliana is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I am 57 and on Monday I will start my Integrative Nutrition classes to become a certified wellness coach. I will probably be my own best client. I will definitely need to walk the talk. PB will be my preferred wellness approach though not my only one. You have to be able to meet people where they are. So I have one year from Monday to be healthier, 50 lbs lighter and for sure fitter than I am right now. My primary goal is to just be healthy and be a good role model for my future clients. I have been low carbing for a while so this won't be such a radical transition.

I am also hoping to make many friends here.

roromisty is offline Junior Member
    Hi all - my first post! I'm 52, and started Atkins (again) in mid-April. But then I read Why We Get Fat, and The Primal Blueprint, and decided to ditch Atkins and go Primal. Doing pretty well so far; down 14 lbs, and have a LOT more energy. I still have a long way to go as far as weight is concerned, but I'm going to try not to obsess, and concentrate more on my general health & sense of well-being, and also increasing my physical activity. Which is becoming easier as I lose weight!

I was hesitant to post anywhere on the forum because everyone seems so young & in better shape then me . Then I came across this thread. You all are probably still in better shape than I am, but hopefully I'll catch up with you soon!

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Hello! I'm 45 and happy to find this thread. (I'm the youngest of five, where the other four are all baby boomers, so all you 50-something Lady Silverbacks are "my people.")

I've been doing PB for a week, and am feeling excited and hopeful and also scared that it won't work *for me* they way it has worked for many others. I.e., I'm afraid I won't lose weight, my blood sugars, etc., won't respond the same way.... I'm just trying to have faith and to perservere--I know anything dealing with our bodies takes sustained effort, and one week is not enough time to know what's going on.

I'd like to lose ~60 lbs and get off some or all of my meds for diabetes & HBP. I already walk a lot (2 miles to/from work) and cycle, do ballroom dancing for play, and do things like gardening and hanging my laundry out on the clothesline. I'm looking forward to working with weights, as well as sprints.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome new ladies!

Do be patient. I'm 48 and it has taken 6 months for me to really feel and see all the benefits of Primal. I'm just about bikini ready (and believe me--having just a few pounds to lose is much more challenging than I though it would be!)

Lots of great changes immediately, though--you can check out my journal & the others to see...

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Dragonfly! Six months from my start date is around my 46th birthday, so my deal with myself is to stay the course & re-evaluate then.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm 48 and I doubt that I'll ever be bikini ready. I was thinking today, though, that it might be nice to actually tuck in a shirt some day!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

roromisty is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    I'd like to lose ~60 lbs and get off some or all of my meds for diabetes & HBP. I already walk a lot (2 miles to/from work) and cycle, do ballroom dancing for play, and do things like gardening and hanging my laundry out on the clothesline. I'm looking forward to working with weights, as well as sprints.
    Me Jane, you're already way ahead of the game with all your activity! I've lost 14 lbs so far, but I have another 70 or so to go, and really have to push myself to do anything physical. Not because I'm lazy or I don't want to, but because I haven't built up the physical stamina to do a lot yet. And my joints still hurt!

My friend wants us to sign up for a beginning fencing class, which I'm seriously considering! But for the most part, I'm trying to walk more every day. I get to sprint at work (hospital) when there's a code or a bed alarm goes off!

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I'm 48 and I doubt that I'll ever be bikini ready. I was thinking today, though, that it might be nice to actually tuck in a shirt some day!
    That's entirely achievable. I'm 49, and started the primal WoL earlier this year, with the goal of looking good for my 50th birthday. I've not been able to incorporate as much of the exercise as I'd like (although if we ever see actual warm weather here, I'll start the sprints), but even with the little bodyweight work I'm doing in addition to my karate training, I'm seeing steady firming and weight loss. I'm also post-menopausal, for what that's worth.

Welcome to all of you! My words of wisdom (worth what you're paying for them ): Although Mark titled his book Primal Blueprint, it's best thought of as a customizable set of guidelines. You may need to watch your caloric intake some, and/or your macronutrient balance, in order to see body fat burn off. Pay attention to your body, and do what works for you (even if it's increasing carbs a few days a week), and you'll get there.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Fiftyfriggingfour years old today.

Woke up feeling it.

I'll tell you if it feels the same when I get back from putting a few miles under my feet while the sun's still out...

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday, Metta! I hope you're feeling better than ever!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast