Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: gals over 50? page 11

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I've mentioned several times in various posts that my spouse is the big testament to skin improvement. He is Irish-American with the pale skin that easily gets crepey with age (we are in our 60s), and three months ago I started putting coconut milk in his morning protein shake, and giving him a 2T coconut butter treat after dinner. His skin has seriously improved. Wish I had pictures. I've always been careful with moisturizing, not too much sun, etc, and have the benefit, but this is your golfs-too-much, what-i- moisturized kind of guy. He has had those white patches on his forearms the dermatologists say are pre-cancerous go away. Needless to say, we are believers in coconut and primal for maintaining a youthful inside and out.
    If you are taking coconut oil or butter in the evening you may have trouble with sleep. It is very energizing and caused some sleepless nights for me when I ate coconut ice cream after dinner a few times. When I realized this I stopped and sleep fine ever since.

Oh, I should add that when I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned this week the gal told me that I had the healthiest gums she had seen in a long time. I have been primal for 15 months so I know it must have contributed to this since mine used to bleed when getting my teeth cleaned. Just one more plus to the primal lifestyle.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I don't do the coconut at night, that's my partner who could sleep through an earthquake.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I started drinking more bone broths lately and I swear I can see a difference in my tooth enamel and my skin. Bone broth has all the important collagen and connecctive tissue building blocks. My tooth enamel is more opaque and whiter. My face skin is definitely firmer. I have been using coconut oil to moisturize with for several months now, been primal for 15 months. We make broths from chicken, turkey, ham/pig parts, and beef. I think of it as my "bone, joint, and skin juice." You know you've got good stuff when it turns nice and gelatinous when refrigerated!

Metta is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    ...a 2T coconut butter treat...
    Like, just straight coconut butter?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    Like, just straight coconut butter?
    I warm it a bit then spread in a small square container, when it resolidifies I cut into 2" squares, and he has one every night. It has a sweet, nutty taste. Sometimes I toss in 2T of shredded coconut, or pecan pieces, to vary. I also eat a square at my lunch.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

wylde_child is offline Member
    Greetings all, I've been primal for about 6 weeks. Have lost 12 pounds, yahoo!!! Have another 60 to go. I am feeling better but still have brain fog and some inflammation. Doesn't mean I'm going to quit, though. I love eating/living this way.

I've always felt that people weren't meant to eat the garbage that industry feeds us. We weren't built to sit in chairs or wear high heels or bras, for that matter! And going to a gym to get regimented exercise? Geez! How did we get here? So far away from our true nature and being-ness.

I have a little issue with the diet though. I've had diarrhea/loose stool pretty much the whole time I've been eating Paleo. Anybody else suffering from this? Any thoughts on what may be the cause? It would be nice for this to resolve!

Barb, how do you make your bone broth? Do you add veggies?

Love this thread!!

Jan

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I have a little issue with the diet though. I've had diarrhea/loose stool pretty much the whole time I've been eating Paleo. Anybody else suffering from this? Any thoughts on what may be the cause? It would be nice for this to resolve
    Are you taking fish oil? The recommended dose gave me diarrhea until I cut back. Coconut oil could be another contributor.

Hi wylde_child,
    Bone broth is really easy to make. The easiest is to take the bone carcass from your roast chicken and throw it in a pot of water with a Tablespoon or 2 of vinegar and a little sea salt and simmer for a few hours. I usually do about 6 hours but you don't have to go that long. The vinegar helps draw the nutrients out from the bones. Sometimes I crack the larger bones with a pair of pliers before simmering. You can also throw in an onion and celery or other root veggies you have around about an hour or two before cooking is complete. You cannot really do it wrong. Add some herbs towards the end of cooking as well if you like. When done cooking strain through a collander and enjoy.
    With chicken you usually won't get that gellatonous consistency unless you throw in some chicken feet as well. I get bags of those at the farmers market for just this purpose. They are cheap also.

You might want to throw any bones you have left after a meal (from any meat) into a bag or bowl then into the freezer until you have enough for a pot of broth. This way you can save them for when you have more time at home to make it. Turkey carcass has enough gellatin of its own so you won't need to add extra feet if you don't have them.

"Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon has lots of wonderful recipes for nutritious food prep. She really pushes bone broth for health. Good luck and let us know what works for you. These bone broths make great soup bases as well. I just used some chicken broth as a base for the Chiopino recipe shown in Marks latest cookbook last night and it was delicious.

Metta is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Where are people buying cocoa butter?

Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast