Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any former vegetarians of 15 yrs or more.....???? page

janagram is offline Senior Member

Cool any former vegetarians of 15 yrs or more.....????

Primal Fuel
    I've read a few former vegetarians on this forum....a lot of them are youngish.....how bout us oldish ones? Back in the 70's it was the thing to do.....did it for 27 years!!!! Really bad idea!!!! Health was compromised, but like Lierre Keith, did I realize it? You can get so set in your philosophy that you can't see the dying face in the mirror.......thank god someone got me on the right supplements and then I went on the zone, which upped the protein, and ditched the bread and pasta.....but only recently I decided to go off grain altogether........best idea yet!!!!! (I also go by the Blood Type Diet...picking the foods that are best for my type, "O".) Feeling better at 63 than 43!!!!

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    I was a veg for 18 years, (five of them vegan) - ages 17-35.

Feeling much better now that I'm a big carnivore, thank you very much!

janagram is offline Senior Member
    cool, good to hear how much better you feel! I never mentioned when I started to eat meat. It was about 5 yrs ago. That really tipped me toward health.

anne is offline Member
    Hi, I'm new here. I just stopped being a vegetarian last week after exactly 15 years, before that I was already eating unprocessed foods but also lots and lots of freshly ground grains and legumes.

I was constantly tired and people kept asking me if I was sick because I'm very pale. I kept telling them that this is normal for me and no need to worry since that is "just the way I am". Since I had been a vegetarian from the age of 13 I just didn't know anything else and did not even realize that there might be something that I could do about it.

So far I'm extremely happy about my decision because it has helped me tremendously with getting my carb cravings and binge eating problem. I'm really excited to find out how things will change in the long run. It's great to hear that starting to eat meat has worked out so well for all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by janagram View Post
    cool, good to hear how much better you feel! I never mentioned when I started to eat meat. It was about 5 yrs ago. That really tipped me toward health.
    So do most people still don't know that you started eating meat again or did I get that wrong? I'm still unsure about how to handle the news but I guess I'll just see what feels right...
    Last edited by anne; 12-03-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 14 years-from 1982-1996--even made my own soymilk--funny to think how proud I was back then....if I had only known...
    It was probably the huge amounts of grains and legumes that made me sick--I was certainly getting plenty of protein from eggs & dairy. So happy to be Primal!

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I was veg for 16 years, ages 10-26. Stopped when I was so ravaged by Candida that I could hardly get out of bed or care for my children. Haven't looked back and feel better without grains than I ever have.

Flexi is offline Member
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years - from age 34-44. started eating meat abt 6 months ago. I was vegetatarian amongst meat eaters and now have a new problem. Many of my friends don't want to spend money on quality - they buy cheap meat and eggs and expect me to eat it. I want to eat only organic meat and free range/organic eggs so keep telling them to still prepare a veg option for me. This leads to confusion.

I have an organic butcher just 5 minutes from home, so really don't see the need to skimp on the quality of meat. Some friction there, more with family members than friends.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    20 years, from age 17-last May, and a couple of those (20-21) were vegan. Funny thing is I didn't start on meat for any very positive reasons; it's just that I'd been reading about going low carb, and then started reading up on Primal, and didn't see any way to be a soya-free, legume-free, grain-free, limited-dairy vegetarian. I didn't expect any health improvements from the change; barely even expected any weight improvements, really, it was just that I had to try something. So the radical improvements in skin, hair, joints, lungs etc have come as quite a surprise. I don't know what to attribute to removing grains and what to attribute to adding meat, though.

jessher is offline Junior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 20 years. From 12 (dad was a veg, and still is) until I was 32. Read Paleo Diet for Athletes and that convinced me to change my ways.
    That was about 4 years ago. Been primal/paleo for a couple of years now. A lot leaner and happier mentally than I was as a vegetarian.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    I was a veg for 18 years, (five of them vegan) - ages 17-35.

Feeling much better now that I'm a big carnivore, thank you very much!
    Omnivore?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast