Thread: Super Happy.... Dad now Primal Success for 5 months page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Red face Super Happy.... Dad now Primal Success for 5 months

Primal Fuel
    Here is a story of why you should never give up on anyone

Back in June I sent my 63 yr old Dad a copy of the Primal Blueprint. While I was hopeful, I wasn't going to hold my breath that he would read it, let alone adopt the philosophy. He is a major creature of habit and those habits included a daily bagel, sandwich with chips, and a Dairy Queen Blizzard probably far more often then I wanted to know. Attempts in the past to get him to shift some thinking was usually met with a pleasant smile at his first born trying to fix things again and nothing more.

He was at his heaviest ever, 200lbs at 5'8". He was complaining that nothing fit anymore, he was in a newer job and did not want to have to buy all new clothes. He was tired all the time, his knees and back were wearing him down, he carried most of his weight in his abdomen which just compounded his lifelong back problems, and his bloodwork was just getting worse even on statins and such. Good sleep was a far distant memory.

First surprise for me, he read the book right away. He had studied nutrition for his race horses for years, and all the insulin discussion from Mark really hit home for him. Woohoo.

Second surprise, he finished off a few things in the house and started shopping for more primal foods and local items even though his girlfriend had zero interest in primal or helping him. This is a big step for my dad, I felt sure he would not adopt something where he had to do his own cooking. Boy was I wrong.

He had a bit of low carb flu but nothing major to start off.

First thing he noticed...SLEEP. He started sleeping more through the night and was waking up at a more reasonable hour (less 2 am wake ups).

Next, his joints stopped hurting, something he never thought possible. He started riding horses again which he had to give up a few years ago. He is walking with the dogs more, he has more energy then he thought possible for his age.

He started going back to school to help burn some of his time since he no longer wanted to laze around on the couch all night! Yes, my 63 yr old father is now back in school because of primal!

When I went to visit him in October we went for a hike. It was steep and rocky, but he had no issues at ALL. Just a couple years earlier he barely made a walk around a local garden without being in so much knee pain I thought we were going to have to find a wheelchair to get him back to the car.

Lastly, after some initial adjustment, his digestion improved. Funny thing was, he never really knew he had a problem until he went primal.

Weight wise, his ultimate goal is to lose 50lbs. 5 months in he is now down 30lbs. His exercise is pretty much just walks with the dogs and working with his horses. Diet wise, he still treats himself with a small blizzard about once a week, and he does not count carbs at all. I would guess he is more in the 100-150g of carbs a day on average. He is very relaxed and has embraced this as a lifestyle completely. He does not feel like he is sacrificing. He has noticed that if his weight loss stalls, a couple IF's and he gets back in gear again. But for the most part he isn't thinking about it and has just lost 30lbs with no effort.

He shows no signs of giving it up, he says he doesn't miss bread or any of that, he is just so happy that he feels 'alive' again he has no desire to go back to the way he was.

I am mulling a few more copies of the primal blueprint for Christmas now. After seeing my father take the leap, anything is possible!!

Agatsu is offline Member
    Outstanding!
    Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Wow Erin I really liked your story. It is great to hear when someone gets his/her life back. You never know when the seeds you plant are going to grow.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome! Congrats to him! Also to you - I'd say you're going to have more healthy years with him now.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    That is awesome! Congrats to him! Also to you - I'd say you're going to have more healthy years with him now.
    He was a bit depressing to talk to about the future before. His dad had countless heart attacks and even though he lived into his 80's really could not do much for the last 20 years of his life. I think my father had sort of accepted that was the path he was going to be heading down as well. He would joke about needing a 'rascal' (scooter) soon, things like that. Going primal has given him a new spark, he is talking about his future in a much different way. He may not realize it, but I see it every time I chat with him.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I think he sees it, or will soon. Primal is life. Last year this time I was quickly fashioning my own demise. Radical changes are ahead for him. I'm always very excited when someone catches the spark.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Terrific!