Thread: Dear Mark : the yoga sequence of Suryanamaskar page

tania is offline Junior Member

Question Dear Mark : the yoga sequence of Suryanamaskar

Primal Fuel
    Dear Mark,

I just downloaded the Primal Fitness eBook (Thanks a ton!), and was going through your Five Essential Movements. It struck me, as to how similar it was to the poses in the suryanamaskar cycle in yoga.

Now, I'm no Yoga buff, but I'm from India and have seen it being done by almost everyone. We had to do it mandatory in school. It includes, one pushup, one overhead press, one squat, in addition to back, hamstrings, calf stretches and all positions are held in to the 'core'. It does not however, include a pullup. It's repeated 12 to 60 times, depending on the level of stamina.

Other differences is that it is supposedly done better slower and there is a rhythm to the breathing. Im no expert at all though.

So what do you say about that ? Is Surya Namaskar a good beginner starting point for the primal movements ? With pullups added in ?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Well I think it rocks, but then I'm a yoga fanatic. For anyone who wants to learn step by step how to do it with precision (after all that's the way to get the full benefits), I have a DVD called "Ashtanga Yoga, introductory poses" with Nicki Doane which does a brilliant job of teaching it with great clarity, including the breathing.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    The more I do yoga, the more I see other types of exercises emulating yoga while at the same time poo-pooing yoga.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's very funny. yoga does the same thing, though. yoga takes from other disciplines and the poo-poos them. lol

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I think the movements are pretty close, but repetition to exhaustion seems to be a key to the bodyweight exercises, and suryanamaskar doesn't typically do that unless you do an obscene number of sets.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    what would be "obscene?"

it's pretty common to work up to 108 sun salutations over time, but most people work between 10 and 50.