Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senomyx & taste - anyone heard of this? page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

Senomyx & taste - anyone heard of this?

Shop Now
    The next wave in foods labeled "low-salt," "low-sugar," "no MSG":
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...#ixzz14zhmEixz

The short version: harvesting kidney cells from aborted fetuses to develop genetically engineered triggers for taste bud receptors so that they can make foods that taste salty, sweet, or meaty when they aren't. And companies like Pepsi (which owns Fritos, Lay, Tropicana, Quaker), Nestle (Gerber, PowerBar), Campbell (Prego, Swanson, Goldfish, V8, Wolfgang Puck) have already signed on. The product will be listed as "artificial flavors" on the label, although the company is petitioning to be able to list it as "natural flavors".

I wanted to check out the info here and anywhere else as much as possible before sending the above info to ... uh ... everyone I know. So I'm posting it in case it helps others to persuade their loved ones to get away from Phude (pronounced like 'food' but the resemblance stops there), but also to get more info if anyone has any.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I admit, I haven't yet read the full version but based on what you said, if this is true, I'm eternally thankful that due to primal I buy almost nothing from said companies already. If this is true, i will tell everyone I know; how horrific on many levels.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    One step closer to Soylent Green. Good job, America. And of course fooling the human brain is always a good idea.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    That is absolutely horrendous.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    wow, if what you say is true, this is a high-tech form of cannibalism imo.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Someone posted on here a while back about Sensa. I bet that Sensa "tastants" are made by Senomyx. Here's what I found about this company:

Zuker realised the huge potential of finding
    molecules that did not have any flavour of their own
    but interacted with other flavours. “We thought, my
    God, if we have the receptors, maybe we can find
    clever ways to make a little bit of sugar taste as if
    you have a lot.” They screened 200,000 compounds
    before they identified the one that makes sucrose
    taste four times sweeter.
    Up until this time food companies had to
    identify new flavour compounds by trial and error
    with humans tasting the results. Using Zuker’s tastereceptor
    structure made it possible to rapidly identify
    new flavour modulators. In 1998 Zuker and his colleagues
    set up a company that was to become Senomyx. Having unlocked the mystery of taste biology
    these new taste perceptions are revolutionising the way processed foods are produced. Senomyx, a San
    Diego based company is developing inexpensive compounds that make foods taste sweeter, saltier and
    more savoury than they really are. By adding minute amounts of these ‘modulators’ to traditional foods
    manufacturers can reduce the amount of sugar, salt or monosodium glutamate (MSG) needed to satisfy,
    thereby producing a healthier product. Nestlé started incorporating Senomyx’s savoury flavour modulators
    in its bouillon products last year and Coca-Cola and Cadburys started using the company’s modulators
    earlier this year. Because these compounds are used in such small amounts they do not have to undergo
    the rigorous US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) safety process usually applied to food additives.
    Senomyx just submits information regarding a new compound and a panel of independent scientists
    reviews the chemical content and decides if it is safe to consume. Even this process can take two
    years but some critics do question the soundness of this system.
    Improving the quality of artificial sweeteners is one of Senomyx’s main aims. Today’s lowcalorie
    alternatives to sugar often have a bitter aftertaste in the high concentrations used in fizzy drinks
    etc. The market potential is huge, it is estimated that over 5,000 products currently contain sucralose a
    no-calorie artificial sweetener which is approximately 600 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar).
    The company is also working on bitter blockers to make less palatable foods taste better. These
    could expand the use of soy proteins which have a bitter aftertaste and also reduce the amount of sugar
    added to cocoa based products to block bitterness. There is also great potential for ‘pharmaceutical
    crops’ such as rice and soybean that contain oral vaccines which are practical in developing countries
    but are not very palatable.
    As well as researching the six basic tastes Senomyx is experimenting with compounds that feel
    cold on the tongue like menthol and the sensations of ‘fatty’ and ‘creamy’ flavours. “This is really brand
    new science,” says vice president Gwen Rosenberg. “That is part of the excitement - nobody really has
    done this before.”
    It is still early days but if tiny quantities of these compounds can change the way we taste food
    there are infinite possibilities for manufacturers to produce healthier meals. The question is will people
    consume less calories if the scientists ‘doctor’ our fare so that it appeals to our palates without containing
    large quantities of sugar and salt, the essentials that are today considered the scourge of modern
    processed foodstuffs.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    wow, if what you say is true, this is a high-tech form of cannibalism imo.
    you don't eat the embryonic cells... They used the cells to determine what chemicals amplified the response of a taste receptor to sucrose.

The actual additive to the food would be the chemical, nothing that is derived from human cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    Someone posted on here a while back about Sensa. I bet that Sensa "tastants" are made by Senomyx. Here's what I found about this company:
    The thing about the Sensa tastants is that there is NO peer-revievd research showing that they do anything at all. It's just snake oil.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Nestle is already using their imitation savory flavored products in Africa, Asia, and South America. Senomyx has also developed from this same technology "bitter blockers" and "cooling enhancers" - apparently they're thinking of "cool" as a flavor, and want to replace mint in toothpaste, etc., with this ... I guess mint is just too darn costly.

So much for bitter beer face.

From http://www.allbusiness.com/science-t...5096843-1.html
    Other compounds are being developed to make tasty food healthier and healthy foods tastier.
    IOW, the root problem is that we've blamed salt & butter for everything, so foods with them are called unhealthy, and foods without them are called healthy and taste horrible, so we've got to invent more phudes to fix the problem we made.

It is very likely that the bitter blockers will soon be debuting in children's medicine.

Genetic engineering to get you to take more Calcium (which most of us already get too much of, in proportion to the amount of Mg & vitamins D & K that we get):
    Danielle Reed and colleagues at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, have engineered cell lines with a new type of receptor. She had noticed that individual mice have different preferences for calcium. Some seemed indifferent to its presence in water, while it would entice others to drink huge quantities. The receptor involved responds to calcium and magnesium - molecules not usually associated with taste.

"I can taste calcium chloride, but I don't have a word for it," says Reed. She believes that this response to calcium may be a sixth taste. The team hope that by understanding how calcium is detected, they can encourage people to consume more of it, by tweaking its taste.
    More fun:
    For example, a mouse whose sweet taste cells are engineered to be covered with bitter receptors, will suddenly find bitter tastes pleasant. "In theory, you could take a light receptor from your eye and put it into a mouse's taste cell, shine a light on its tongue, and the mouse would experience a sweet taste," says Zuker.
    Oh, boy, I see the next weight loss fad. :/
    Apparently the embryo lines were used to test whether the taste simulation worked. The genes that code for taste receptors were fused with a line of embryonic kidney cells to see if the cells responded to the fake tastes the same way they responded to the real tastes. Or something like that. No reason it had to be embryonic cells, as so-called "adult" cells work just as well for that, but regardless of how it was sourced, it's a disgusting technology and sure to have all sorts of unexpected physiological results.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Has anyone tried miracle berries?

It's totally crazy, you suck on a lemon and you know it's supposed to be sour, but it's ridiculously sweet. Such a weird experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast