Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to switch family over; intro... page

it1958 is offline Senior Member

Question How to switch family over; intro...

Primal Fuel
    As an intro, I'm Karen, mom of 5, "adopted" a niece and a nephew, with 4 of them currently living at home, with the nephew visiting at least two weekends a month.

I got turned on to high fat, low carb eating just over a year ago and have realized amazing healing.

I have shared links from Bee Wilder's "Healing Naturally" site, as I strongly believe in her work. While I have mainly been concerned with body composition (I proudly touted 18% body fat about two years ago and was in to power lifting), today, my main concern is overall health and wellness.

I have striven to switch my family over. My middle daughter (DD#1, age 14) and niece (19) are both pretty jiggy with my weird ways of eating, but my eldest son at home (17) is totally against it. He is in his third year of public school (home schooled prior) and last year, his "nutrition" teacher told him all the dangers of saturated fats and the good of carbs/grains and now I can't get an idea in to his head sideways. My nephew, 18, is addicted to carbs (fruit is his favorite and...isn't fruit supposed to be "good" for you???) so it is difficult to provide foods that would be acceptable to him (them) as well.

I've cut out the majority of the 'white' foods. But tortilla chips and ramen noodles are still a horrid staple around here.

Butter, and lots of it, and good Celtic sea salt are always available. Most do not like veggies in any form. But grains still continue to be the foundation of many family meals. The girls and I still home school so are home all day; the girls are pretty good about making good food choices. my DD now makes bread for the family the Nourishing Tradition/WAPF way by soaking the flour overnight prior to baking; any rice we have is also thus-soaked, overnight. We are raising our own laying hens.

I downloaded Mark's "Readers' Cookbook" but most recipes seem elaborate or way more involved than i want to be but i will give them another honest look. I'm going to print out Mark's introductions (again, I'm sure) to give at least to my 17yo (football player; all-around-jock, JROTC he-man) so he can see that eating low-carb is truly the way to go.

But I'm going to also continue to look for ideas here on how to get my family fully switched over. I read, with interest, the 30day challenge. I don't think i'd do that to my family, but I really want to make the chips, pretzels, ramen noodles, pasta that is currently in the house to be the last and never to have it replaced. I'm getting better at reducing sugar in the baked goods we make. They still have more carbs than I think they should: 17-yo DS and his cousin (18) are the worst. the cousin/nephew is obese, while my 17-yo has lost around 100# and is a very fine looking, chiseled boy at just about 6 foot and 120#, so it is difficult to convince him that the way he is eating is not the best for him...

Rambling now. Thanks for having me here. And I will continue to read and glean information and hope that you will share some of your ideas on getting the family (kids; BOYS!) switched over - for good!!

Karen

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I suggest not baking anything. When the last of the sugar and flour was gone, I didn't buy any more. It's REALLY cut down on the amount of baking that goes on here, and if there is any, it's with almond/coconut flour, maple syrup, butter.

I also recommend not mentioning "Bee Wilder" in every interaction with them....it may be a fabulous program, but if you push something like that too hard, it just feels evangelical. Same is true of pushing "Primal" or anything else.

The printed Primal Blueprint Cookbook is great. The recipes in there are mostly very simple and VERY tasty.

One final thought...except for your 14 year old, your kids are really adults now. Your influence over them has waned to where it may simply be too late to do much to change their course. They'll have to pave their own way forward. I suspect all you can do is provide an example and limit the availability of the junk food (though if the kids can drive and have some money of their own, even that might not make much of a difference)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

carlh is offline Senior Member
    "When you're under my roof, you'll eat what I cook. It's up to you if you want to get spaghetti and rolls at school." - at least that's what I heard whenever I complained about dinner as a teenager.

I gave away twenty odd packets of ramen when I committed to this low-carb no-crap thing. Donate stuff to a food pantry.
    Last edited by carlh; 12-03-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Seconding carlh. Cook what you want. Tell the complainers that this is what there is to eat, and if they want something else, they can buy it themselves. I don't think it's a good idea to directly force people to switch their diets.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Seconding carlh. Cook what you want. Tell the complainers that this is what there is to eat, and if they want something else, they can buy it themselves. I don't think it's a good idea to directly force people to switch their diets.
    +1

Just don't buy any more Ramen.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Thank you for all the ideas. I have told them the end of December will be the end of my grain-buying (which will include the pretzels, ramen noodles, tortilla chips, etc.). And I know most are "adults" now and can make their own choices. I'd just like to put together something tasty in place of those things to help them switch over. And because they haven't eaten whatever I fix, I throw away things (totally my fault and responsibility, for sure).

I'll look in to the printed copy of the cook book, too.

I don't mention Bee to them, either.

Karen

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by it1958 View Post
    And because they haven't eaten whatever I fix, I throw away things
    Can't you eat it as leftovers?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Hey, welcome to the boards! I saw that you're homeschooling teenagers, and i just had to say that you're my hero! My little ones are 7, 4, and 6months, and I'm really looking forward to having teenagers in the house. I hope they're still choosing to home school then. I don't have any advice, just a welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Hey, welcome to the boards! I saw that you're homeschooling teenagers, and i just had to say that you're my hero! My little ones are 7, 4, and 6months, and I'm really looking forward to having teenagers in the house. I hope they're still choosing to home school then. I don't have any advice, just a welcome!
    Thanks so much! I home schooled the two oldest ones through graduation but #3 opted to go to public school and is very happy with that choice (we just cover him in prayer daily!!!). It is almost a sweet relief to only be home schooling the two youngest ones... We seem to have more time, are more relaxed and are really enjoying the process. It really is fabulous! Karen

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Can't you eat it as leftovers?
    I can if it's just a meat dish. But I will still try to entice them by putting something familiar in a dish, which would be a grain. Which I cannot have. Or cheese, which I cannot have.

I'm getting smarter, tho... I'm just hoping to get some more ideas from this forum...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast