Thread: Body Type Considerations page

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi, I'm relatively new to primal living, and was wondering if anyone had any advice specific to body type. I'm a classic endomorph - tend towards high body fat, gain weight easily, big booty, carb sensitivity, and can gain muscle pretty easily. I've never had a 6-pack. The lowest body-fat percentage I've ever had was 12-13% and to accomplish this end I lifted for about an hour and did 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and measured out all my food. This is not really sustainable. Currently, I estimate I am around 20% bf. I am looking to build muscle and lose body fat, which I believe is possible to do simultaneously going primal. I don't want to overtrain, but with my body type it seems like I have to do an insane amount of cardio to lose weight. I've been primal for about a month and have gained some muscle, but not lost a lot of fat. I think my body responds better to lean protein and coconut oil/butter versus fatty meats like chicken legs with skin. One day I bought a really gourmet butter and gorged on it and woke up the next day looking pretty lean. I've been eating daily roughly 160 g of protein, 2 apples or servings of berries, veggies and a decent amount of fat.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the endomorph body type. Maybe I need more cardio than Mark recommends or less fructose. I want to continue to gain muscle and maximize fat loss. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. Grok on.

Pankratos Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The somatotypes seem to be an oversimplification of what determines body shape. Certainly one can change and maintain whatever body shape they desire. I feel like I was in a similar situation to you when i started the PB, I resembled a classic endomorph but after two months of focusing on strength training and compound movements I have built musculature that resembles a mesomorph. I think it comes down to body recomposition, you want to change the way your body is, a much deeper concept than how it looks.

As to any special measures you might take to get this done, I would say that if carb sensitivity, as you mentioned, is an issue you might benefit from a drastic cut in your carb intake, which will both force your body to metabolize fat and will decrease your insulin response over time. Hope this helps.