Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequent Stomach Bloating -- Why? page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Frequent Stomach Bloating -- Why?

Why am I still bloating???

I'm talking the 4-month pregnant look for half a day, several times per week. Usually it occurs after I eat, but yesterday it happened on an empty stomach! I don't feel gassy or painful, though passing gas does relieve it, but that hard, distended abdomen is seriously annoying. I thought for a while that going primal (15 months ago) had cured this, but no such luck.

I'm highly compliant -- 98% paleo (stricter than primal).

I've tried going 100% dairy, grain, and legume free for a month. No dice.

I've tried eating my veggies cooked, instead of raw. No dice. I've also experienced bloating when I've had a no-carb meal, so it's hard to blame veggies.

I don't have any other IBS symptoms or known food intolerences. The bloating seems to happen after all different kinds of meals (rarely with an omelette-and-bacon type thing, though), large or small, and even once on an empty stomach.

The bloating almost always occurs after breakfast or lunch, rarely dinner.

It happens less frequently on weekends, which I suspect is due to the fact that I move around more than when I'm stuck at my office. I can try climbing up and down the stairwell a few times after eating, I guess...

My top theories: Candida overgrowth and/or estrogen dominance. I've recently (5 weeks ago) gotten off the pill and added a natural progesterone cream, which should help on both counts, but the bloating hasn't disappeared. Maybe with more time?

Other ideas???
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused...how can you be 98% paleo if you only went dairy, grain, and legume-free for a month?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Oh, sorry. I meant that I went 100%, totally, absolutely clean for that month.

I'm nomally 98% -- like I might use some soy sauce in a stir fry once every 2-3 weeks, or have some cheese/heavy cream once a week, or cook my eggs in butter.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Ah, OK, got it.

No clue on the bloating--it sounds like you've already ruled out the usual suspects.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Gut flora is out of whack. You need a good probiotic.

I used to have this problem years ago, and my yoga teacher recommended a particular dried Japanese plum (comes in a bottle), to suck on one a day. By the time I was done with two bottles, I was cured. Sorry I don't remember the name! But I could take you directly to where it was located at Berkeley Bowl.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 12-03-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: two bottles, not just one
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Candida overgrowth is definitely a strong possibility. I agree on taking the probiotics and eating lots of coconut products if you aren't already.

Thanks, tigerlily and saqueen -- I have just started a good probiotic, so maybe that'll help. I'm also using coconut oil and such to combat candida.

I tried the probiotic yesterday morning on an empty stomach and was bloated until late afternoon, but google searches indicate that this is fairly common upon starting a probiotic. So, we shall see.

It is likely that my gut flora is screwed up due to 3 years of veganism -- tons of "healthy whole grains" and legumes!! -- plus a couple years on the pill.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-03-2010 at 08:37 AM.

HA! Found it! The plum is called Ume.
    Yes, this is it.

I also agree about the Candida.
    I'm still working on this one.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If it is related to gut flora maybe fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchee, kefir, etc) would help.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast