Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: two questions: grease and sweet potatoes page

mommy2three is offline Member

two questions: grease and sweet potatoes

Primal Fuel
    okay another dumb question. Do you save the grease from your meats and how do you do this? I drain hamburger but throw it out....

The other question is i have never had sweet potatoes, so how on earth do I fix them. I am looking for recipe in the search and didn't really find any but one that was fried chips...sounds great but I don't have the tallow I think they said??? Any suggestions. Thank you

lizch is offline Senior Member
    If it's grassfed hamburger, don't drain it--eat it with the meat.
    If it's grainfed hamburger, drain it and throw it away. Just make sure to compensate by eating a healthy fat from something else (unheated olive oil, for example, or fish oil.

I just nuke sweet potatoes in the microwave on the "baked potato" setting, and then if I have the oven on, put it in there to crisp up the skin a bit.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I cut sweet potato up and fry in coco oil. pan fry that is. And don't drain the meAT! fat is good.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Cut the sweet potatoes up, boil 'em, and mash 'em. Really, there's a thousand ways to cook anything.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I peel them, cube them, and saute them with chopped onion (optional) in a pan with coconut oil till soft, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Coconut oil is pricey, so you might want to go with lard. Go to a store with a hispanic food section, and you'll find it in buckets labeled manteca or grasa de cerdo.

Some people make "fries" with them, but I've never had luck with getting them crunchy; they go straight from being hard and uncooked to being soft and falling apart on me.
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 12-02-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

superjenni is offline Member
    I mostly just cube sweet potatoes, toss them in olive oil and roast them at 450 degrees on parchment paper.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    you can cook sweet potatoes in any way you cook plain white potatoes. just peel them first! bake for about an hour, then eat as is or mash. to make fries, you can cut them up then bake as you would regular fries, or deep fry them in tallow or coconut oil. very tasty any way you make them!

the only grease i save is from bacon, which is awesome for cooking veggies.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I peel a hunk of yam (really, sweet potato), then chop it into small pieces, sizzle it in some butter in an iron skillet, sometimes with sesame seeds, sometimes with a few peas added, and/or some mushrooms cut up, sometimes with a little curry powder, sometimes with side pork included, then crack a few eggs into the pan, and turn it all into an omelet. Sometimes served with salsa or green tobasco sauce, and/or a little yogurt on the side.

superjenni is offline Member
    Why do you need to peel them?

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I'd be interested to know that, too - I've been eating the skins.

I've been baking sweet potatoes like I would ordinary ones: start them in the microwave if I'm in a hurry, finish them off in the oven, and eat with plenty of butter mashed in. Lovely, but almost too sweet to be part of a savoury course.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast