Thread: Dairy (Yet another one for the ladies...) page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Talking Dairy (Yet another one for the ladies...)

I've mentioned a few times that I've experienced heavy periods for years. Didn't realize it until a friend was diagnosed with menorrhagia and I realized my periods were heavier than hers! Then I was diagnosed with anemia AND put on a medication that makes my periods come every 14-18 days, which didn't seem like a great idea. I'm scheduled to see the doctor in a couple of weeks to discuss how to fix this, ranging from hysterectomy to Mirena IUD.

I quit dairy a month ago to see if it would help my skin.

I am currently having a normal period. I think. It's so long since I've had anything other than a heavy period that I'm not even quite sure if this is normal. But it's probably 1/3 the flow of before.

So, based on my clearest skin since I was 12, and the lightest periods since I was 30, I guess I'm sticking with dairy-free for the long haul. Well, until menopause, which is probably another 7-8 years. Then I won't have to worry about zits and periods at all!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing this, Liz! I am going dairy free this month in the hopes of "curing" my non-stop post-nasal drip. If it helps with my periods (painful, but not heavy) even better!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Liz:
    Have you also recently begun high-dose vitamin D, per chance?

Reason I ask is because I have a friend who's been wracked her entire menstrual years by very heavy flow ("flooding") and highly irregular periods. After about a month of the vitamin D, her periods completely normalized....for the first time ever. I told her to watch out, she's gonna come up pregnant. (She's 41 and, thus far, infertile.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

No, I've been taken the same vitamin D dose since August, and my vitamin D levels were already pretty good (45) back in early September.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    What dairy products were you consumming?

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    What dairy products were you consumming?
    Whole milk, cream, butter, full fat yogurt, cheese. Most recently, grassfed. But only occasionally raw.
    Liz.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    interesting to know. i've historically had somewhat heavier periods- too much for a diva cup (sorry, tmi) and very painful cramps. i won't know until menses return a year or more from now how the diet is affecting my periods, but i'll try to remember this.