Thread: Sneaky Sugar in my Tiny Tuna page

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

Sneaky Sugar in my Tiny Tuna

A couple of weeks ago I started to fall off track with eating quality food, in part because my bulk order of beef and pork has been delayed. Or so goes my excuse-making, anyways.

To get myself back on track at work, and avoid having to go out for lunch too often, I stocked up on what I presumed were primal-friendly convenience foods: 85 g flavoured tuna cans, Clover Leaf brand.

I often carry tiny tuna while hiking or camping, as both my wife and I can use them - she eats fish, but no other meats. We normally buy the generic store brand, but the name brand ones were on sale, and they come in more flavours.

However, I was surprised when I glanced at the nutrition label on my Peanut Satay tuna, and found that my tiny 85g can was packing 12 g of carbs, including 8 g of sugar! For reference, there are 4 g of fat and 14 g of protein in the can. That's 34% of calories from combined carbs, and 23% of calories from sugar alone!

I suppose it's all in the sauce, as the "dill and lemon" flavour has 2 g of carbs, NO sugar, 7 g of fat, and 18 g of protein.

I feel a little foolish for not having taken a closer look. I'll have to keep a closer eye on what I'm buying...

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I had one of those moments recently when I realized that those "seasoned salt" mixes have sugar in them (don't know if that exists outside the US - here's an example). I never even thought to look! Guess that's something I'll be making myself from now on if I really want it.

Sometimes it seems like the more labels I read, the angrier I get, haha. They just throw sugar in everything these days.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yup! Just about anything flavored has sugar or other nasties in it.

I was most annoyed a few weeks ago to find sugar on the label of my seasoned rice vinegar. ARGH!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah peanut satay is a sweeeeeet dish - I'd expect there to be sugar in it! I wouldn't have expected a jar of olive tapenade to be packed with sunflower oil...but they did it.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I was most annoyed a few weeks ago to find sugar on the label of my seasoned rice vinegar. ARGH!
    I think "seasoned" rice vinegar just means there's sugar and salt added, which is pretty lame "seasoning" in my opinion, haha. I do love plain ol' rice vinegar, though, I use that stuff all the time.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.