Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil pre-workout page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil pre-workout

Shop Now
    I just recently saw a recommendation for a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in with hot water or tea as a pre-workout "energy" drink. I'm gonna be working out at the ass-crack of dawn (0445) for the next two weeks and will be in a fasted state because I'm not gonna get up any earlier to eat.

I was thinking of trying this coconut oil "tea" idea. Anyone ever do this? How soon before working out?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    For me that would be a workout fuel, if my workout was sitting on the can...TMI...

If you handle CO well, then why not try the oil and water without exercising. If you feel good and energized or whatever, then try it as a workout fuel.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure I fully understand the pre-workout energy drink idea.

Tablespoons are different sizes around the world, but an average volume is generally taken to be 15 ml. For water, 1 cubic centimeter = 1 milliliter = 1 gram. Assuming that oil has the same density as water ( it's actually lower, oil floats on water ), your 15 ml of coconut oil is approximately 15 grams of fat, which at 9 calories / gram gets you 135 calories of "energy" drink. That doesn't seem like a whole lot of energy to me.

I'm not sure of what your workouts consist, but if the period of exertion that we're talking about is less than 2 mins, then you are taxing and relying on the glycolitic and / or phosphagen energy pathways of the body, neither of which uses fatty acids as a substrate for energy production, as far as I know.

So, if you like coconut oil in your drinks early in the morning, I say go for it. 150 calories one way or another is not going to make much of a difference. Personally, at such an ungodly hour, I would simply jack up on caffeine. Caffeine is an adrenergic substance ( like adrenaline ) which means that it stimulates the release of free fatty acids from adipose tissues, among other things. I'd much rather have my body munch on free fatty acids released from endogenous ( from my adipose tissue ) rather than exogenous ( CO ) sources

-PK

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't work for me. I do apple cider vinegar in water though.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Hi Charlie,

I think this is a good idea, and can work well:

Coconut fat is metabolised at a faster rate than other types of fat - you will have increased energy production during its digestion. Medium chain fatty acids are absorbed rapidly and sent to your liver, where they are transformed into cellular energy in a similar fashion to carbohydrates. (Without an insulin spike)

Using fat as a pre workout fuel - instead of carbohydrates - will avoid a "crash" during your workout.

Coconut fat has lauric acid, a compound also found in human breast milk, with immune-boosting properties.

I often make green tea with a couple spoonfulls of coconut oil. I suggest you have the oil as soon as you get up, and use a lot more than a stingy tablespoon.

***Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no Rocket Surgeon***

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Get some Coconut oil and melt the sucker. In a bowl mix in some Almond flour, Whey Protein. (For extra buzz add some coffee, for extra flavour add some raw cocoa). Mix that baby up and chuck in the fridge for 5minutes until its a little hard.

Scoop those glorious goop up and turn them into little balls. Chuck them on a plate and back in the fridge. Now every morning pop one of those little suckers for a wollop of fat, a little protein and some caffeine.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    For me that would be a workout fuel, if my workout was sitting on the can...TMI...

If you handle CO well, then why not try the oil and water without exercising. If you feel good and energized or whatever, then try it as a workout fuel.
    I have only just started taking 1 tablespoon (20ml's in Australia) of coconut oil prior to every meal and it has the same effect on me too! Thinking I may have to cut it back a bit..............

I have read that coconut water is the 'new' energy drink. Over here we can buy it in a can from the Asian foods section (where the coconut milk/cream is). Tastes pretty nice too!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Why not just drink some black coffee?
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Coffee is over-rated as far as energy goes............I can drink 5 cups before bed and still sleep like a log!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    Coconut fat is metabolised at a faster rate than other types of fat - you will have increased energy production during its digestion. Medium chain fatty acids are absorbed rapidly and sent to your liver, where they are transformed into cellular energy in a similar fashion to carbohydrates. (Without an insulin spike)
    This is my understanding as well. I often eat a tablespoon or so of coconut cream concentrate (which is mostly oil) pre-workout. Works incredibly well -- almost immediate energy but no sense of fullness, and certainly no crash. I've also used this for a quick snack, and it keeps me going for hours of general activity -- better than a HB egg or nuts!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast