Thread: survival cache--primal ideas page

periquin is offline Senior Member

survival cache--primal ideas

Primal Fuel
    Bad weather is coming on. Always makes me want to stock up. I don't have a market near by and the closest markets usually run out of things in the winter anyway. Most people set up caches of whole grains and beans to get them through our ice storms and tornados. They keep well--the grains and beans, that is. I don't want whole grains and beans. Don't like canned food too much either.

Any ideas about stocking a cache with proper primal goods?
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    check this post out. mark wrote it a while back about the post apocalypse...but i think it works for winter too.

since you're not wild about canned food, i think you need to embrace your freezer. meat and veggies can stay frozen all winter...and with plenty of spices and fats stored up in you cupboard and fridge, you should make it through the snowy months with optimum health and optimum taste

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Properly stored (vacuum sealed) sugary fruits like dates, raisins and prunes last for ages. Well...because they're full of sugar. But, still.

Also, bust out the food dehydrator and make really...really...really crispy jerky, then vacuum seal that.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrator! You can dry anything that is low in fat. This is somewhat problematic for Primal since it's a high-fat diet, but you can supplement with fats from the pantry. Jerky, pemmican, vegtables of all kinds (kale, sweet potato, even broccoli (blanched first)), and fruit of course.

Thanks for the replies.

I dehydrate many things inside some screened solar dehydrators that I made. That is mainly snack foods though. I make jerky and, more often, Pemmican. Still snack foods. I don't mind things that my wife and I can; its the store bought stuff that doesn't pass muster for me. I do keep some canned salmon, kippers, sardines and other tasties though.

Freezing food is an option. I need a bigger freezer. I am collecting components to make an icey-ball freezer. They don't freeze too much but they do keep it cold and all you need is some fire wood to make it work.

Again thanks.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Primalrob: Just finished the post that you recommended. Interesting and kinda funny. Not just staying alive but even some 'warfare'. Never thought of the rice cake napalm. My 14 year old grandson and I need to try that. Then he will show his scout buddies. Nothing like things that flare and go bang to endear one to a grandson and his friends. Makes me chuckle thinking of it.

I am set for hunting, even though it has been some years since I went into the field. Proficient with rifle and sling, not bad with a bow. Often I take my sling and some golf balls when I walk the trails. Still have some old traps stored away somewhere too. I guess for the things Mark was talking about, I should do OK.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, hadn't thought of the power-outage aspect, but if it's a snowstorm then a power outage isn't a problem for frozen stuff!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    This might not contain any additional info beyond the good advice given above, but here's a relevant link:

Food storage program for paleo dieters
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/cuthbert/cuthbert13.1.html