Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: always tired, always having colds - what to have checked? page 2

Flexi is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Hi,
    Thank you all for your reponses. I'll get a good supplement tomorrow and will start again with Vit D3 supplements. Though Hypothyrodism is also possible, as I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto's abt 10 years ago, but have never felt the need to start taking hormones (and am still hesitant to do so).

My problem with eating meat is that I don't really know that much about the preparation and storage of meat. I need to learn all these things. If I buy a variety of red meat for a whole week tomorrow, can I keep it in the fridge or do I need to freeze it? I have the Primal Blueprint cookbook, but can't get to the butchers everyday (they sell organic meat). The meat from the supermarket looks very red and bloody to me - which I was told is a sign that it hasn't hung long enough.

Will definitely give it a try. Thanks again!

Flexi

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Meat isn't as scary as it seems. Raw meat I wouldn't keep in the refrigerator more than a week. For some meats that's too long for my liking. If you're concerned about it, just freeze half and thaw it as you need it. All my meat is frozen, and I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator a couple days before I intend to eat it.

There will be some trial and error. Watch the cooking channels and look up recipes. They'll walk you through it.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Flexi,

Here is a four minute video that will illustrate the most key element to cooking meat or anything else, the difference between conductive and convective heat transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8W3vMYRw0

Here is a guide for a basic pan sautee. Use whatever pan you like.

In order to get that nice crispy caremelized sear on your meat, you will need to start with a sizzling hot pan. Test your pan with a droplet of water. If it sizzles, you can add some lipid, like coconut oil, tallow. Just enough to shine the pan. Wait till you see very small ripples or dents in the oil. You shouldn't heat oils to their smoking point, but the ripples show the oil is hot enough to sear the meat. Now, place in the meat (chicken pieces, burgers, chops, shrimp etc), and don't move it for at least a minute. Let the meat develop a nice sear, before you begin moving/turning it. If you think it is getting too hot, or you see smoke on the oil, adjust the heat as necessary. When the meat is cooked, set it aside (tent with aluminum foil). Now those little stuck on bits of meat become magical. Pour 1/2 cup liquid (bone broth, wine, water, cider)into the hot pan, stirring up the stuck on bits with a wooden spoon or whisk. Turn heat down and let it reduce to intensify the flavors. Stir in some butter, to give it a nice shine and richness. Pour over your rested meat and serve.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
    Last edited by MrsToon; 12-03-2010 at 03:00 PM.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Re: bloody meat

It never hurts to thoroughly rinse any meat before you cook it. You can rinse it in cold water two or three times if you want to, for the bloodier cuts.

Orange chicken and vegetable stir fry dish made demonstrating the method I outlined above.
    Last edited by MrsToon; 12-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Besides getting your full vitamin/mineral levels checked along with thyroid hormones, you should certainly consider removing dairy from your diet. Yes eating more meat would be somewhat beneficial but dairy is known to be a pretty widespread trigger for immune problems. There are plenty of people who can handle frequent consumption of dairy but also a significant amount that cannot. Try cutting down drastically on your dairy consumption and consider keeping a food journal to track your symptoms along with your dietary intake.

Edit: on the meat storage questioning.
    The time till spoilage of your meat will vary not only by how it's kept, but where you're getting it from, how it's wrapped, the overall sanitation of your kitchen/fridge, the sanitation of the store or processing plant you bought it from etc.

Some cuts will hold up pretty well for a few days but poultry can often times go sour realllll fast. In general I buy meats for a week or two week's period of time depending on specials or how tough it is to get my local store to order a cut for me (pasture fed heart). I normally make huge batches of any meal I make due to my personal chef training so each dish I make can last me for 2-3 days easily. Because of the somewhat delayed time in needing another batch of meat I normally will freeze any meat that I'm not planning on cooking in the next 3 days. When I'm running low on a saved dish then I'll simply just move another pack of meat out of the freezer and into the bottom tray of my fridge the morning of the day before I'm planning on cooking it. If you are going the frozen route then before freezing, repackage any meats that are in a styrofoam container/tray. This styrofoam tray will severely delay the thawing out process of the meat and will almost always prevent it from thawing in a day or two's time.
    Last edited by ProtoAlex; 12-04-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Ask them to do an immunoscreen. If they don't understand that, ask them to a do a test and find out whether you have innate or adaptive immune problems.

HBarrett is offline Member
    +1 on the starchy vegetables. I got too low on carbs (glucose, not fructose) and my energy tanked.

anaam is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,
    Are you suffering from obesity and could not find any thing to reduce it,don't worry just take a one best treatment which can help to makes you reduce your weight and can preserve from heart attack this is nothing else only one daily exercise.http://DementiaAlzheimers.net/results/bipolar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12