Thread: What I've Taken Away From the Primal Blueprint So Far page

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member

What I've Taken Away From the Primal Blueprint So Far

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After 4 months on the PB, what I've taken away from it is that for health reasons we should not eat wheat at all, which is actively harmful, and we should be very sparing on sugar. Get plenty of fat and protein. Exercise randomly and make sure some of it is intense, for short periods. Keep moving and stay fairly physical.

I believe I disagree with the general avoidance of starches, except during dedicated weight loss. Once one is at a desired weight, my experience is that we need some starches for energy. My feeling is that this too can be kind of random, but I think it's important to have them sometimes. Mark has backed off a little on potatoes and white rice, so I've added them back to my diet and feel the better for it. But I don't go crazy on them, just make sure I do eat some, but not every meal.

For me at least, when first going "primal," I ate a lot of fruit to wean myself off of sugar and ate a lot of almonds too. I don't really think that was too healthy either, may have given me gout, but after a while, it's easy enough to take it more easy on those things too.

My allergies and asthma have generally been much better since going primal, although they haven't gone away completely. I'm totally not understanding the smooth elbow thing, but it's kind of cool. The often reported increased libidos are probably a sure sign that the PB is healthy. On the whole, I find the PB exciting and positive, and generally feel better on it, but IMO it's still a work in progress. I don't think we've gotten everything quite nailed down, but we're getting there.

StoneAgeQueen is online now Senior Member
    I can't say I agree with you that everyone needs to eat starches for energy once they reach their desired weight. it definitely seems to be an individual thing, but a lot of us feel like crap if we eat starches, including primal ones. If I eat starches I have no energy at all, I feel utterly fantastic and bursting with energy on a very low carb diet completely free of starch.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I agree about starches... it's very individual and everyone has to sort of feel their own way (which I think is frustrating to a lot of people who *just want answers!!!!* - that would be me LOL.) But the end result of struggling with that idea for me is the acceptance that there is no "one size fits all" nutrition prescription. There are guidelines (like no grain, and eat good amounts of protein and fat) but no magic bullet.

And that's a good thing

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yup, starches are pretty individual. I'm lean and highly active, lots of heavy lifting plus sprints and daily farm work, and I find that I do best with some starches (20-30g carbs or so of them, plus lots of non-starchy veggies) unless I'm having the occasionally lazy day.

I agree that gluten grains are 100% evil (though I do consume them on very rare occasions). The same goes for sugar, which shows up in my diet only incidentally, like the hint of it in my favorite hot sauce.

I am increasingly aware of the value of SLEEP, which I think is underemphasized in the book. Acknowledged, but underemphasized.

Interestingly, my autumn allergies have been much worse since I went primal, but that could be coincidental (other factors, like weather shifts and such, are also at play).
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

lizch is offline Senior Member
    You managed to avoid the word "vegetable" in your summary of primal, yet it's the foundation! Maybe if you focused on enough of those for your carb intake, you wouldn't need the mostly nutrition-less rice and potatoes?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

StoneAgeQueen is online now Senior Member
    Also eating a lot of fruit to combat sugar addiction is counter productive. Could it be that you're still addicted to carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    You managed to avoid the word "vegetable" in your summary of primal, yet it's the foundation! Maybe if you focused on enough of those for your carb intake, you wouldn't need the mostly nutrition-less rice and potatoes?
    That's true, I did manage to avoid the word vegetable. I do try to eat them, but have found it sort of hard to do in the quantities recommended by Mark. I also wonder at times how many vegetables Grok may have had access to in the winter time. At least the Groks who lived in more northern clmates, which would include a lot of the European Groks, like the Cro Magnon people. I agree that you can get carbs from vegetables too. I'll have to watch out that I'm getting enough of them. I do think Grok may have kept some potatoes, onions and roots through a lot of the winter, though, and perhaps apples and things too, which can be kept for long periods of time. Dried meat, too, and perhaps dried fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Also eating a lot of fruit to combat sugar addiction is counter productive. Could it be that you're still addicted to carbs?
    I don't know, maybe, although I think on PB, we're supposed to eat carbs, if not too much starch. I'm not addicted to wheat, though, which I don't miss. Agreed that the eating of a lot of fruit is not a good thing, but that's how I started out.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Sam Cree, you might really like The Perfect Health Diet blog and book. Basically primal + starches, for compelling reasons.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ct-Health-Diet

My dh and ds do fine with starches, where I do better low to no starch. I agree its an individual thing!