Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreading my diabetic clinic appointment page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Dreading my diabetic clinic appointment

Shop Now
    .. not because I'm scared of finding out anything is wrong, but because every time I go they try to push statins on me and push the CW diet on me. I haven't been to the clinic in quite a few years because I got tired of being patronized by them (I've been diabetic for 23 years, I'M the expert, damnit!!).

Seriously the last Doctor I went to see was barely out of University. Nobody goes to University for 23 years do they! My cholesterol was slightly above what it should have been (not sure about LDL and HDl ratios, will get them this time) and they went on at me to take statins. I tried them for a week and felt so awful I threw them in the bin. After reading numerous studies since then I do not believe statins are helpful, nor do I believe that slightly raised cholesterol is as disastrous as they make it out to be.

It irritates the hell out of me when they try to give me little helpful tips and tricks to manage my blood sugar and are surprised to hear that I already know them. WTF???

So what responses can I have ready about my diet when they start to push the wholegrain crap on me? I'd rather not go at all but I want to see how my kidneys and cholesterol are doing. I've had so many arguments in my head with them over the years, but I know when I come face to face with them that it may be harder for me to stand up for myself.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunatley, it's the only way to get the tests you want done. Think of it like sitting through the 2 hour time share sales pitch to get your free vacation. You know you have no intention of buying what they're selling, so you just smile and nod, and when it's all done you go about with the rest of your day the way you want. Let them give you the CW sales pitch. Who cares. Just take from them what you need. Good luck with your tests.

Thanks I probably will just suck it up. But what really pisses me off is knowing that they give the same advice to everyone, and most people just follow what they're told, and they're literally killing them with it.
    Fruit and starch free.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Thanks I probably will just suck it up. But what really pisses me off is knowing that they give the same advice to everyone, and most people just follow what they're told, and they're literally killing them with it.
    My sister, she is this person. She's been Type 1 for 13 years and they taught her about carbs and how to count and adjust her insulin and all but she still eats whatever sugary, carb filled junk she wants and just takes enough insulin to "cover it". Her A1c's come back normal and her doctors say it's all good but she looks so unhealthy. She's sooo thin w/ very little muscle, her hairs been falling out..ugh, I tried to convince her to eat less carbs but I don't know if she's doing it.

Sorry to go off topic!. About your doctor, you can ask them to fill out an extra lab slip or two for your metabolic panel and A1c and whatever routine tests and tell them you will just go to the lab every three months, then they get the results. My doctor did this for follow up on a few things. You've been doing this long enough you shouldn't have to waste time going into the clinic to be educated, LOL. That is ridiculous, just tell them you don't get anything out of the consultations anymore and you just want to get your labs done on time and see that they're normal! Good luck

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Here in the US, in most states you can order lab tests without a doctor. Probably not an option in the UK though?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grizz is offline Banned
    Queen,
    Are you type 1 or type 2?

Have you read this excellent article? Scroll down about halfway to the chapter, "Reversing Diabetes in 6 Simple Steps."
    ( Hit the Esc Key several times to get rid of the ad screen )
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-be-wrong.aspx

What do you think of that article?

Grizz

JWheelz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    .. not because I'm scared of finding out anything is wrong, but because every time I go they try to push statins on me and push the CW diet on me. I haven't been to the clinic in quite a few years because I got tired of being patronized by them (I've been diabetic for 23 years, I'M the expert, damnit!!). Seriously the last Doctor I went to see was barely out of University. Nobody goes to University for 23 years do they!
    My last doctor was really nice, but then they started having me see some nurse practitioner who was like 5 years older than me, and she talked to me like I had just been diagnosed and knew nothing. SO condescending. (I'm at 22 years of type 1 now.) When I moved out of state and had to get a new doctor, I found a naturopathic doctor, and she was the one that nudged me this way. Not towards primal specifically, but low carb, and that got me thinking more about Art DeVany's work, and then I found this place.

Anyway, I don't have any good advice for you, I just feel your pain. I hated going to conventional doctors, and if I didn't need them to write a prescription for insulin for me, I would have stopped going entirely. Are there any naturopaths in the UK? I'm not sure what your options are there...Good luck!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Nod and smile.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    If you don't feel up for actively attempting to somehow change their minds about low-carb management techniques, I'd say don't bother.

I mean, you don't have to actively agree with them... but you can avoid an argument. Just say "Sounds familiar. Thanks for the advice, idiot." Except don't say the last word out loud.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Queen,
    Are you type 1 or type 2?

Have you read this excellent article? Scroll down about halfway to the chapter, "Reversing Diabetes in 6 Simple Steps."
    ( Hit the Esc Key several times to get rid of the ad screen )
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-be-wrong.aspx

What do you think of that article?

Grizz
    I'm type 1 Grizz. I agree with mostly everything Doctor Mercola has to say about diabetes. One amazing thing that has happened recently though is that a few Type 1s have been able to come off insulin and are no longer classed as diabetic (something thought of as impossible) after taking mega doses of systemic enzymes for several months under Dr. William Wong's supervision. One guy had been T1 for 40 years and had badly damaged eyes, kidneys and nerves from the disease and now he's functioning normally. I've been taking the same doses of enzymes for three months now and my insulin doses have halved already and a few other things have cleared up. That in itself is a miracle. Fingers crossed for more improvements.

@Jwheelz- I totally understand. Yes we have naturopaths here, but it costs a lot of money whereas NHS treatment and tests are free. I'm really just going to go and get all my lab work done and see how everything is going. If they try any of the condescending shit with me I'm going to put them in their places.

thanks for the advice everyone.
    Fruit and starch free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast