Thread: Replacements for goitrogenic vegetables page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Replacements for goitrogenic vegetables

Shop Now
    I have hypothyroidism, and earlier this year, I've had my Synthyroid dosage doubled. I'm afraid the problem might be diet related. I eat a TON of leafy green and cruciferous vegetables, and nearly all of my vegetable intake is composed of goitrogenic vegetables. Baby spinach, spring mix, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and kale are stapes of my diet, and I easily eat a pound or more of these types of vegetables a day. Despite my thyroid condition, I've continually justified eating these foods due to their nutrient density. I'd like to eliminate all the major goitrogenic vegetables from my diet for a while, and get some new blood work to see if my thyroid levels have improved. So, what non-goitrogenic vegetables can I eat in place of these staples that will provide me with the same quantity of nutrients? I'm used to eating salads with spring mix or raw baby spinach, so what types of lettuce should I switch to? I like the way broccoli and cauliflower add "bulk" to a meal, so I'd be interested in others with that quality. I'm finding it difficult to find nutrient dense vegetables that aren't goitrogenic and of course, are non-starchy/low carb. Any suggestions?

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    Once you cook the cruniferous veggies they would be fine.
    As for replacements. That's a tough one.....

billman89 is offline Member
    Spinach was goitrogenic? Why dont you switch to stuff like onions, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cook all goidrogenic vegetables thoroughly and through a sweet potato in there every now and then.

If you can get raw milk, I would try that as well. I has having some mild hypo symptoms from going VLC way too long and raw milk really helped get rid of them.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billman89 View Post
    Spinach was goitrogenic? Why dont you switch to stuff like onions, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cook all goidrogenic vegetables thoroughly and through a sweet potato in there every now and then.

If you can get raw milk, I would try that as well. I has having some mild hypo symptoms from going VLC way too long and raw milk really helped get rid of them.
    Tomato and peppers are nightshades. I'm curious as to whether there is any link between problems caused by nightshades and problems caused by goitrogenic vegetables?

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Were/are you eating any gluten? Is your hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's? As mentioned, the goitrogenic veggies are fine if cooked. As far as diet does, I think gluten messes with the thyroid the most...
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't already, try adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to your diet every day. You can eventually work your way up to three tablespoons per day.

http://www.coconut-connections.com/hypothyroidism.htm