Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rheum appointment...what's next? page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Rheum appointment...what's next?

Hi everyone;

I had a 3 month follow-up with my Rheumatologist today for my RA. I started PB right after my last appointment. He was amazed at how fantastic all my joints looked. My joints look better now off steroids than they did in August ON steroids. He said if I am stable at my next appointment we will start tapering some of the other drugs I am on. These drugs are pretty nasty - so I would LOVE to get off of them.

I was also quite surprised to find I am 25 lbs lighter than three months ago - woohooo! I am a size 8-10 now!

While I am super pleased with these results, I still have some inflammation. I am stiff at night and still don't have the energy of a healthy person. I am thinking I need to tweak a little. I currently follow PB - but don't eat nightshades or eggs. I greatly restrict dairy as well. I eat too many nuts a eat a fair amount of fruit. Here is what I am considering:

1. Eliminate diary 100% -currently have a little cream or butter 2-3 times/week.
    2. Eliminate nuts -easy fast food for me, but high in lectins.
    3. Go lower carb - I don't restrict carbs now.

Any thoughts on the best way to lessen inflammation even more?

Sorry for the obnoxious length of this post! Thanks for you thoughts!!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    It looks like you're doing a lot of the right things. So I'll say this: be patient. This is a process and your body doesn't heal overnight.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

That's a good point sayrahh...thanks! I saw such a dramatic improvement in the first few weeks, that I am feeling impatient that I'm not yet a superstar.

I am trying to decide which ONE of the above to do....not all of them. I fear if I get too restrictive, I will just collapse and eat pizza til I die!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Supplement Vitamin D to adequate levels.
    Omega 3 supplement. (I take a concentrated 1200 mg one.)
    Get enough sleep.

Clint W is offline Junior Member
    sounds like a good start. Please educate me as to why eggs are bad for RA. I went purely Primal quite a while back and my arthritis (AS) subsided. I eat tons of eggs, but do not have RA.
    Good luck with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint W View Post
    sounds like a good start. Please educate me as to why eggs are bad for RA. I went purely Primal quite a while back and my arthritis (AS) subsided. I eat tons of eggs, but do not have RA.
    Good luck with your journey.
    Hi Clint;

Congrats on the success with your AS - I love to hear about others who control autoimmunity with diet. I follow a low lectin version of PB based on the krispin website: http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html Eggs are listed as high lectin. I had, in the past, done some diets similar (although much lower fat) to PB and felt terrible. When I tried PB plus low lectin, the results were amazing. I am tempted to try adding eggs back, but am afraid to rock the boat. Nightshades are definitely a trigger for me.

AS may be a little different though? Isn't the thought there that limiting refined starched can result in remission? Do you do anything other than primal diet to keep things controlled? I'm always on the lookout for pointers!

Thanks.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Awesome progress. Did you tell the doc what you had changed to make such great improvements?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Turmeric!
    Boswellia!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Clint W is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Jammies. I only do PB. I was having to inject Enbrel, but do not anymore. I tried the no-starch/low starch diet with underwhelming results.
    I'm almost starting to think that Red Wine is a trigger for me (horrors!!), but I'm in denial about that. ha!

lcme: I did tell my rheumatologist about my success and how I'm doing it. I could tell she thought I was a certifiable kook! She didn't say it, but I could tell. I work with MD's. They are fully programmed and brainwashed by big pharma. I've quit arguing with them. After all, they know it all.... just ask em.
    hee!!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint W View Post
    I work with MD's. They are fully programmed and brainwashed by big pharma. I've quit arguing with them. After all, they know it all.... just ask em.
    hee!!
    +1000

I also work with/for them and have since I was 16. I couldn't agree more with you. It's part of my job to clean up their mistakes. As a group, they know next-to-nothing (and don't care to know) about nutrition and/or natural health and are overall remarkably lacking in intellectual curiosity.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast