Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot in South Dakota (BarefootExplorer) page

BarefootExplorer is offline Junior Member

Barefoot in South Dakota (BarefootExplorer)

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. This is one of my first times posting on these forums but I have been a long time lurker. Here is my story:

I found out about the Primal diet a little over a year ago. It was part of a process of trying to find out why I was sick and tired pretty much all the time. I have struggled with depression for 4-5 years, and general exhaustion. I had several years of terrible diet. For most of this time I was either underweight or at a healthy weight for me, but I still had a lot of flab and low muscle tone. At one point I did gain about 20 lbs though during a particularly stressful time. (I got married, moved to a new city and started a new job that I hated). I lost this weight simply by cutting calories and had just reached a healthy weight when I found out I was pregnant with my son. Over the course of the pregnancy I ate a conventional "healthy" diet. I thought I was doing well, but I had all sorts of bad pregnancy issues, the primary one being that I couldn't get off the couch. I also had a lot of pain in my hip bones.

Over the course of the next year my health got worse and worse. I found out that breastfeeding can deplete your body of nutrients even more than pregnancy. (something that LLL doesn't tell you) I started getting sick every 3 weeks for 2 weeks. I spent almost the entire winter sick with either stomach or head flu type symptoms. This made me really start researching and I discovered Mark's Daily Apple and the Weston Price Foundation. I began to suspect that I was suffering from pretty bad adrenal fatigue and nutritional depletion.

I also had a bad breast infection that led to me being put on 3 different antibiotics. I have had hives, yeast infections etc ever since.

I had been eating mostly Primal for about a year and had been experiencing slow improvement when I found out I was pregnant again. This is probably too early for my body to be ready for it and I am very concerned that I am not going to be able to keep up nutritionally. The first 12 weeks I had terrible morning sickness and cheated a lot with the grains and sugars. I kept telling myself that I would clean up my act once second trimester hit, but now that second trimester is here I have discovered that I am super addicted to all of the carbs.

The purpose of this journal is to try to get back on track and rededicate myself. I would really appreciate any advice from anyone here that has experienced any of these challenges.

To start things off right I just had my first completely Primal dinner in a long time! I had lettuce wraps stuffed with kippered herring salad made with full-fat Greek yogurt, some olives, and a few orange slices. I did have dessert, but it was just a few more scoops of yogurt with a tiny swirl of honey. This is a lot less sugar than usual! Of course I am still feeling the urge to keep eating like crazy, but I am trying to ignore it.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Congrats on starting your journal!!!!!!! Welcome to the Primal life!!! looking forward to seeing your journey!

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

ben w is offline Member
    Welcome to the forums!

Well today I ended up not doing that well...It is so hard when I am busy to eat healthily and I was running errands all day! How do you guys manage to stay Primal on days where you are just running around like a chicken with their head cut off!?

Anyway here was the run down.

Ate out for breakfast at a little coffee-shop.
    *3 egg omelet loaded with vegetables and cheddar cheese
    *Thick slice of gluten-free pumpkin-raisin bread with lots of butter (still more carbs than I should have though)
    * Cup of coffee with half a teaspoon of sugar and lots of cream

Skipped lunch due to not being home and not wanting to eat out again.

Broke down and got cranky about 5 and went through Wendy's drive-thru.
    *Double junior-bacon cheeseburger
    *Fries
    *Water

Came home and drank a big glass of raw milk. Still hungry.

Lesson learned - plan ahead better? And maybe start keeping a few non-perishable snacks in the car for crazy days like this.

I also am realizing the full extent of my carb addiction. I am going to try to cut it down a bit more tomorrow. Probably not all the way, but enough to start moving in the right direction.

My energy was pretty good today, but I was still super cranky. I kind of felt like I was running on an artificial energy that I summoned forth in order to get everything done. I am nervous that I am going to crash hard-core tomorrow after pushing myself too hard.

Well, we shall see!

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Keep it up. When i started I would swing back and forth between completely sticking to the diet and binging for months at a time. You will get it eventually.

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member
    GOod luck Emily! I have never been pregnant but I am closer to it than the other 3 comment adders considering they are male.

I look forward to your journey on MDA and being able to cheer you on. Make sure you don't beat yourself up too much And planing ahead is my weakness ALWAYS!

Take care!
    Manda
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Eat Eat Eat! You're body is growing a human being and you deprived it of proper nutrition for a trimester or thereabouts (at least). Meat, eggs, veg. Eat and eat some more. Then, have a snack. When you start to feel scared about your intake, have some more. Feed/fuel the system - think of all that nom & nutrition going to the baby, AND being stored in you for when you are breast-feeding and may not have the energy to EAT. As long as it's Primal, you should be fine. Get your carbs from fruit and tubers, winter squash, etc - if you can tolerate it.
    Good luck and you can do this! Best possible start for that little grok or grokette. AND you. Body is a temple - well, a pregnant body is even more so. Worship it with bacon and spinach and eggs and salmon and sweet potatoes, etc.
    Looking forward to following your journal.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Oh - and when I'm headless chicken on crack, I hit Wendy's and get a triple baconator w/o ketchup or mayo, or cheese and eat my 3 little meat/bacon tacos out of the bun I then shamelessly throw away.
    For to-go options.. If you have time you can pack a cooler-lunch-bag thing with plenty of options - salad with vinegar & olive oil dressing, cold meats/wings.. quiche muffins, olives, fresh fruit, homemade beef jerky, hard-boiled eggs.. I like muffins made with almond meal and flax meal and apple or pumpkin. I'd vote for something like homemade beef jerky or pork rinds or a homemade trail mix - nuts, seeds, cut up dark chocolate and/or unsweetened dried fruit, if you can't chill anything.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Good morning everyone! I am super tired this morning due to staying up later than I should have last night. I ate a super healthy breakfast though!

*2 egg omelet with green onions and mozzarella cheese fried in lard
    *2 large sausage links
    *big glass of raw milk

I didn't have any fresh veggies or fruit in the house, so hopefully I can make it to the store today.

I may be updating this several times a day at first..I think it will help me stay accountable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast