Thread: Triple That Vitamin D Intake, Panel Prescribes page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

Triple That Vitamin D Intake, Panel Prescribes

Shop Now
    WTF is going on here?

11/29 in the NYT as referenced in another thread here: Report Questions Need for 2 Diet Supplements
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/he...emc=rss&src=ig

11/30 in the WSJ: Triple That Vitamin D Intake, Panel Prescribes
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...841631864.html

Both articles are referencing the same report. It's enough to drive you crazy. Now it's not just the underlying report that needs to be questioned but the spin.

Roguls is offline Junior Member
    I saw the Times article - typical of the knee-jerk hypochondria that Mark Sisson (and we) detest. Not much is known yet about Vitamin D, but, from what I've read, and info given to me here, the level the Times article says is good is a deficiency everywhere else. The tests that have been performed show almost an impossibility to reach a level of toxicity, so I supplement (5,000 iu/day, as per a great member here, Cilkat).

Plus, after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and noticing how much better my body absorbs the suns rays since going primal, I have no doubt that most people, who are carbo-loading daily, are D deficient, which causes bodily imbalance. I'd rather give my body what it needs to find homeostasis rather than try to fix an imbalance with modern medicine.

Edit: Just read through the comments on the WSJ article, and love this one:

The Food & Nutrition Board has once again ensured a certain level of disease in the population at large. The new guidelines for vitamin D neither raise the minimum requirement sufficiently (was 200 IU, now 600 IU) to avert rickets in dark-skinned toddlers, and the safe upper limit (was 2000 IU, now 4000 IU) barely raises blood levels. America has re-entered the dark ages with this proclamation. Modern medicine, lacking in disease prevention, has once again chosen to dismiss nutritional medicine in favor of bone hardening drugs, antidepressants, calcium-blocker pills, heart medications, which would largely be eliminated by sufficient vitamin D levels in the American population. My suggestion is that health-minded individuals pay a visit to the Vitamin D Council website.
    Last edited by Roguls; 12-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    But, dangit, if we take D supplements, we won't have to *buy expensive drugs* to treat maladies that we wouldn't have if we just took the D supps. ;-) I'm adjusting my tinfoil hat as we speak...

Roguls is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    But, dangit, if we take D supplements, we won't have to *buy expensive drugs* to treat maladies that we wouldn't have if we just took the D supps. ;-) I'm adjusting my tinfoil hat as we speak...

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I know...I literally wasted hours yesterday trying to understand. I generally respect the NYT, but in this case it seems like deeply flawed reporting on a deeply flawed report. *shakes head, adjusts tinfoil hat*
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a conspiracy theory junkie. I hate those people, they annoy me. NOT EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRACY, PEOPLE!!

but they might be on to something.
    *starts making a tinfoil hat*
    Calm the f**k down.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    this smacks of conspiracy. Freaky.
    limiting vitamin D testing
    Calm the f**k down.