Thread: Primal post workout nutrition? page

gazb is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Firstly I know that occasionally fasting after workouts is good for HGH production. But the rest of the time...

What's the Primal school of thought on PWO nutrition? I'm particularly referring to after a heavy weightlifting session.

CW typically says

- Protein within a certain time period afterwards (I've seen different periods ranging from 20 to 60 mins) to start off the muscle rebuilding process. Typically as a protein shake.

- High GI carbs post workout to get the protein into your muscles. Mark did write an article saying this is unnecessary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/muscl...ing-and-carbs/

- No fat. Presumably as it slows down protein absorption? Certainly never heard of a protein powder (or even weight gainter) containing any significant amount of fat.

I realise that on this board protein powder is generally seen as non-primal and at best an occasional meal substitute if you're in a pinch. What about fat though, would eating a fatty protein source like eggs or nuts be less effective than something mostly just protein (whey, jerky, etc.) or protein+carbs?

Or is it not even something worth worrying about in the grand scheme? I guess Grok would have just eaten whatever was there, if anything was there! While I'm generally all for doing as Grok did, I don't see why we can't apply modern nutritional understanding if it'll give better results.

Cheers.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've been advised by a professional to have a small sweet potato (to replenish glycogen stores) following intense exercise. I've been told that fruit, although rich in carbs, does not restore glycogen stores in the same way. Wash your potato, poke some holes in it, and stick it in the microwave for 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg. Perfect!

I've been told fat isn't advisable after a workout since it isn't quickly absorbed in the body. Typically, I'll fry up one egg with some whites for a better protein to fat ratio.

There are also some other posts on this, search around...

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Just one opinion, but I think people spend far too much time worrying about this meal. Most of the workouts people are doing don't stress your body to the point of needing the perfect recovery meal. Eat whatever you would normally eat and you'll be fine. Again, just one opinion. I've had every combination you can imagine following workouts and never felt significantly better or worse from any of them. Good luck!

Tarlach is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

I agree with Get Primal. I have no problems not eating for 14 hours after a workout.

Don't worry about it.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)