Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food questions page

croí is offline Senior Member

Question Food questions

Shop Now
    Kinda have a few variety of questions..

Almond milk: Can it be heated up? The carton says drink within 7 days of opening.. why?

Coconut milk: What is the shelf life for this after opened? The carton, not a can..

Stevia: I thought any type of sugar was out, but I see some saying they use it in place of sugar?

Coconut Oil: Coat the pan or the meat when cooking?

What is the difference between protein and high fat? I noticed a post saying their relative had a high protein diet, and didn’t know that this would be a bad thing…

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Don't know the answers to the milk questions.

Stevia isn't sugar and contains no sugar. It's the natural-world's aspartame--tastes sweet but isn't sugar.

Oil: coat the pan. You generally want oil to be somewhat hot before adding the things to it to cook. Makes the food less likely to stick and makes a tasty crust on the outside of the food.

Protein and fat are entirely different. Hunk of beef: mostly protein. Butter/oil: almost entirely fat. There are some who believe that high protein is hard on the kidneys, and others say that protein above what your body needs causes insulin levels to rise. Fat is insulin-neutral, so it avoids that effect, hence PB's recommendation that you eat as much protein as your body needs and relatively little carbs, and fill the rest of your caloric needs with fat.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind, when people say "high protein diet" that could mean pretty much anything. They're summing up something that is probably quite complicated.

Protein is used by your body for repairs and tissue building. Fat is a fuel. They're biologically completely different. I wish I knew a good site to point you at for the basics... it's useful to have a certain level of basic knowledge of how your body works. (1, so people can't BS you; and 2, so you can impress your friends at parties!)

Thanks folks for the clarification! I'll see if I can do some more research about the milk questions.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post

Almond milk: Can it be heated up? The carton says drink within 7 days of opening.. why?
    Yes it can but it intesifies the flavor in my opinion. I barely tolerate the flavor when it is cold and really don't like it when it's hot. I find it OK if I add some half and half to it so for me it's useful for reducing my dairy intake but not as a full substitute.

As for the 'use within 7 days' thing it's just like anything else you open. It WILL spoil if you leave it long enough. If it still smells and tastes fine on day 8, 9 or 10 no worries. And trust me, you'll know when it's gone bad.

Coconut milk: What is the shelf life for this after opened? The carton, not a can..
    I can't speak to the carton but I have had a can of coconut milk in the fridge for a week once and it was still fine. Again, use your nose and taste it. And don't try it if it has pink mold. Pink mold is ALWAYS bad. Very bad.

Stevia: I thought any type of sugar was out, but I see some saying they use it in place of sugar?
    It is a naturally occurring sweet plant. I still haven't gotten around to really researching it but some folks like it. My objection is that for ME I need to break the sweet flavor addiction entirely not just move it to a different product. There are some interesting studies out there that have shown an insulin spike from a sweet flavor regardless of the source as well as insulin spikes from looking at and thinking about eating something sweet. Basically your brain sees that you are GOING to eat a sweet thing and gets ahead of the game!

The pan.

What is the difference between protein and high fat? I noticed a post saying their relative had a high protein diet, and didn’t know that this would be a bad thing…
    High protein (if it truly IS HIGH) CAN be hard on the kidneys. There is no proof that I have seen that a high protein diet CAUSES kidney damage but if you already have a damaged kidney function it can be very hard on the kidneys then.
    Now as mentioned before protein is building blocks primarily and fuel to a much lesser degree. Fat is fuel first and a building block later.
    [/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks much!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post

Almond milk: Can it be heated up? The carton says drink within 7 days of opening.. why? I've never heard that it can't, but I used to get a subtle throat tightening effect when drinking it warm

Coconut milk: What is the shelf life for this after opened? The carton, not a can.. I've read 2 days max. I don't really like the change in texture and smell that occurs after that.

Stevia: I thought any type of sugar was out, but I see some saying they use it in place of sugar? Choose your evil. Chemicals that taste sweet or actual sugar which has a true insulin response.

What is the difference between protein and high fat? Lots of turkey, lean chicken, tuna etc while still avoiding fat, specifically sat fat would be a high protein, low fat. I would considered primal high fat and moderate to high proteinI noticed a post saying their relative had a high protein diet, and didn’t know that this would be a bad thing…
    My thoughts

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk will head towards being solid if it sits. That starts immediately. It is natural. That is how coconut water becomes solid white coconut. If it hasn't been opened too long and starts looking creamy, just close the container and shake it. Back like it was at the start. The more creamy coconut milk has some use too, over some desert or something.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I split my can in to 3 4oz servings and split it over 3 breakfasts. It solidifies in the fridge, but when I mix it with my blueberries and strawberries it always softens up into liquid again.

I've never had it go funky by keeping it in the fridge even after a full week.

Ok, so what's your opinion? Coconut Milk or Almond Milk? Why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast