Thread: How to lose weight like a guy! page 2

Jomp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    pass the damn steak, thanks
    Mhohahahaha. Yes indead!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    So let's not be out to "save" anyone. Let's just lead quietly by example. That will make for a more enduring movement, I think.
    This!

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Aggressive vegans have the same feeling to me as Jehova's Witnesses or any kind of religious missionaries (only the religious missionaries tend to be more polite). Aggressive Primals will be the same. Aggressive tactics bring in aggressive people. You get the whackjobs more than anything. Reading the MDA forums as well as talking to friends and family have lead me to believe that the ways we think about religion and diet are very similar. So let's not be out to "save" anyone. Let's just lead quietly by example. That will make for a more enduring movement, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    This!
    I second this!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I don't think we should be handing out pamphlets on the street but I would like to see more blogs sprouting up, more friends telling friends, people really don't notice every minute thing we do you know? I don't think many people really notice what I eat or don't eat unless I specifically talk about it. I don't think we should be like vegans in aggression (because their message is don't eat animals, not "eat this for health" like ours would be) but I do think we should make a little bit more noise maybe in our personal lives.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I dunno, I don't think we should be handing out pamphlets on the street but I would like to see more blogs sprouting up, more friends telling friends, people really don't notice every minute thing we do you know? I don't think many people really notice what I eat or don't eat unless I specifically talk about it. I don't think we should be like vegans in aggression (because their message is don't eat animals, not "eat this for health" like ours would be) but I do think we should make a little bit more noise maybe in our personal lives.
    That I can agree with that. Word of mouth about our own experiences, vs. pushing your life onto someone else. I know a lady who is a vegan, and everyone knows it, and is almost afraid to eat meat around her. I will admit I'm not as aggressive when it comes to telling people that I eat Primally, but this will be something I will work on.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I thin that you need to be careful with evangelizing. It can be a real turnoff. I think the optimal approach is pull rather than push.

By nature of my work, I tend to see people sporadically since I work for long stretches from home, and I am geographically removed from my colleagues, family, and friends. Without fail, everyone who has seen me lately has asked me about my transformation. That is how the dialogue gets started. It is rather amazing how many people have started IF due to my interactions with them.

I think the principal impediment to change is the dogma that fat kills. This narrative has been promoted since the 50s. Over half a century of anti-fat propaganda.

-PK

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound of muscle equals a pound of fat. muscle is *denser* than fat.
    This is really nitpicky but it's a perfectly acceptable statement to say that (within the same volume) muscle weighs more than fat (because it's more dense).

/ after my wife started her martial arts training two years ago, she was incredibly dismayed because her weight went up...although she was clearly more fit and dropped waist sizes.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    This is really nitpicky but it's a perfectly acceptable statement to say that (within the same volume) muscle weighs more than fat (because it's more dense).

/ after my wife started her martial arts training two years ago, she was incredibly dismayed because her weight went up...although she was clearly more fit and dropped waist sizes.
    i....explained myself horribly there. you are absolutely correct, and if she had put what you did in the parentheses i wouldn't be bitching. i dont think the average person actually understands the concept.

i did the exact same thing as your wife. heh, most chicks do that. this is why my scale has a hugeass layer of dust on it.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Batty, I like the idea of the dusty scale. The damned thing can be very misleading.

I don't think people usually make very wise decisions when they are busily obsessing on numbers.

By the way, many years ago (and many many pounds lighter) I got weighed in a doctor's office. The nurse looked at the scale, looked at me, and said, "My, you're compact."

I think that being "compact" would be a more healthy goal than being light-weight. Dense heavy bones, lots of muscle, and plenty of organ weight.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think most (mainstream) women also have this CW idea of what a diet is supposed to look like:

- You can't have fun with it. You're not eating "foods" you "love" therefore you're supposed to be miserable all the time.
    - You're supposed to count down the days until you're done.
    - You gotta weigh yourself everyday.
    - You can't lift weights because the scale will go up.
    - It's okay to have 100 calorie snacks, because they're only 100 calories.
    - If you run on the treadmill you "erase" that snack anyway.
    - Everything must be fat-free or low cal, especially salad dressing, but since it's fat free you can douse your salad in it. Skip the meat it's got fat in it!
    - Diet soda and juice is okay. Any diet drink is okay.
    - Hot yoga, because sweating means losing weight, everybody knows that. It also helps your flexibility.
    - You gotta let everybody know you're on a diet, so you can cheat with whoever puts the idea forth.

etc etc etc ... I think that's how 8 out of 10 women think diets are supposed to be like. We NEED to get the word out on just training smarter, not like a man, and also educate our people, men and women, about food. It's one of the easiest lifestyle changes I've EVER made, maybe it was easier because I'm a male, but there's plenty of females in the Paleo/Primal world to vouch for how easy it's been for them too.
    + yet another 1. Exactly. Bingo. Especially the 'counting the days until you're done'. Now the weight loss has become visible, what I'm hearing more and more is,
    'Are you still on that diet? Isn't it time you stopped?'
    Right, because I'm bored with being 9 1/2 stone and would like to get back to 12 as soon as possible. Also, I'm missing the spots, fungal infections and aches and pains. Pass the pasta, someone.

I'd suggest that men are 'fed' the idea of eating for strength, so they can do more. The entire objective for women seems to be to look thinner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast