Thread: Why Diets Fail page

Monty is offline Senior Member

Why Diets Fail

Primal Fuel
    http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...il.html?ref=hp on how stress relates to weight gain/loss.

I believe the third paragraph is almost word for word out of the Primal Blueprint Book (i just read that chapter last night).

And the last paragraph just left me speachless.

croí is offline Senior Member
    And so boys and girls that is how the "stress-free diet pill" was produced!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Another cool example of how our diets lead to epigenetic effects that we might not anticipate... and another reason people who drastically restrict calories are so cranky. =]

That last sentence... lmao.
    It says: "Bale thinks that designing medications to target these stress pathways may help dieters keep off the weight that they worked so hard to lose."
    But I hear: "Bale thinks that doing consulting work for a pharmaceutical company may help her make a few bucks off of the research results that she worked so hard to obtain."
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

entwyf is offline Senior Member
    People under certain kinds of stress don't eat more; they eat less. When my father died, I lost ten pounds in two weeks. The stress of not eating when the body is screaming for nourishment--a slightly different issue.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I suspect the real reason why most diets fail is the lack of fat in the diet.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I suspect the real reason why most diets fail is the lack of fat in the diet.
    Yeah, but I believe I read that the more fat you eat the "happier" you are, so it effects cortisol production. Reduces it I imagine. I'm agreeing with you, by the way.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Weight-loss diets fail because most people view them as a temporary hardship from which they will be liberated as soon as they achieve their 'goal' weight. They then go back to the eating habits that made them obese in the first place.

It's a fact of life that someone who loses a significant amount of weight will only maintain that lower weight by eating very much as he/she has been doing during the final stages of weight loss. For example, over the past several years, I have slowly (very slowly) gone from my high of about 340 lbs to my current weight of 160 lbs. However, I've been 'maintaining' my current weight over the past several months eating approximately 500 calories more--per week! (I have been eating primal for the past year, low carb the entire time, and I have continued eating the same way).

If I were to return to the quantity and quality of the food that my former self was eating, I'd very soon be back over 300 lbs.