Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: erythritol page

pucca is offline Member

erythritol

Primal Fuel
    does anyone here use erythritol, the sugar alcohol? what are some thoughts about it? i use it for a lot of stuff, like when i make ice cream or bake cakes (like the cheesecake i made the other day), or make stuff that requires some sweet stuff, like fudge. it has no calories, but does have some carbs but they are sugar alcohol carbs. is that bad? i guess other sugar alcohols cause GI distress but erythritol supposedly doesn't. i've never had any.

nutritionut is offline Member
    if your gut isn't in a good place, i wouldn't recommend it.

justjoem is offline Junior Member
    Many sugar alcohols are minimally absorbed in the upper GI tract. They are osmotic laxitives. Erythritol however is relatively rapidly and completely absorbed although diarrhea and cramping is occasionally seen especially with large doses. It is minimally metabolized and is primarily excreted unchanged by the kidneys. It is naturally occuring in grapes, mellons, and pears. I occasionally use it, but I am trying to wean away from my sweet addiction.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    When I was in the U.S last week I bought a box of Truvia (foolishly without reading the ingredients) and was disappointed to learn that it contains more erythitol than Stevia.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Erythritol has a bad effect on my husband. he feels very drained and tired after using it in his coffee.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I don't really get what you are wanting to know. If you are worried about "hidden carbs" then calculate how many carbs you want to eat and if they put you over then don't eat it?

If you are worried about the Erythritol itself, have you experienced anything bad from it? If yes then stop, If no then keep eating.

I use truvia with Erythritol because it works fine for me and I love the taste. Make a judgement call.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I'm generally hesitant to eat something I can't pronounce.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    My general principle is not to eat anything that is not reasonably possible to produce in normally (traditionally) stocked kitchen and pantry, especially if not possible or common 100 years ago. I think it's a good principle, lol, so I wouldn't use it. Take that for what it's worth.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I would consider myself a pretty hardcore paleo/primal eater but I do want to "justify" why I allow myself this sweetener additive to my truvia:

...It occurs naturally in fruits and fermented foods. At the industrial level, it is produced from glucose by fermentation with a yeast, Moniliella pollinis. It is 60–70% as sweet as table sugar yet it is almost non-caloric, does not affect blood sugar, does not cause tooth decay, and is absorbed by the body, therefore unlikely to cause gastric side effects unlike other sugar alcohols.
    I just wanted to add this in because I found it pretty interesting when I was researching this stuff. I generally only eat items I can pronounce, like Kestrel said, but sometimes I have to make judgement calls when I actually read the science of something and can make an informed and knowledge based decision on how something biologically impacts the body.

I'm sure many people disagree with that methodology, but I find limiting something because it won't grow in my backyard to be pretty restrictive especially given how we have access to in-depth research at our fingertips at any given moment and can thusly teach ourselves about these questionable items instead of just writing them off because they failed to meet an opinion based criteria.

My process on these items usually goes like this:
    1. Read ingredients and see something I'm not sure about or can't pronounce
    2. Do not purchase or consume
    3. Go home and research
    4. Do I find it okay from a biological, health based standpoint?
    5. If I do, buy it.
    6. If I don't, forget about it.

This is why I will consume Erythritol but not Malitol.

Sorry for going off on such a weird rant, but I am bored at work and thought it might be worthwhile to explain why I personally find it okay.

Key word there being personally

edit:
    Oh yeah, this stuff is pretty awesome because it's made by fermenting fruit or sweet plants mixed with water, filtering it, and then allowing it to crystallize. It's a pretty simple process which makes me feel -much- better about eating it. I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M POSTING SO MUCH IN THIS THREAD OR WHY I AM DEFENDING THIS STUFF, SERIOUSLY, HOW FUCKING BORED AM I RIGHT NOW?
    Last edited by Rivvin; 12-03-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My doc says artificial sweeteners still trigger an insulin spike :<(...so I've accepted unsweetened coffee and plain kefir.

If I am not mistaken, conventional low carb diet guidelines say to count half of the carbs in sugar alcohol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast