Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Workout - weight lifting page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

My workouts include weight-training w/ dumb-bells (a pair of 10 lb) 2 times a week, squats, stroll for 1/2 an hour whenever I can, sprint once a week and a long walk usually on the weekends. I would like to include more Primal workouts and lift heavy weights. What is the right way to do it? I have membership to a well-equipped gym that I rarely use (it's a family membership and the hub uses it). If I want to start proper weight-training, would I need a trainer? Any tips on lifting weights would be greatly appreciated.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

What do you mean by "proper weightlifting"? I consider heavy lifting doing exercises like deadlifts or power cleans, which can be really dangerous if you don't know how to do them properly. I would suggest getting a trainer if you wanted to try these, since you'll be lifting a LOT of weight and can easily hurt yourself.

Some days I'll just find heavy things in my yard and lift them (controlled and with a straight back!), lug them, or run with them over my shoulders until my arms give out. I never did much "heavy lifting" in the past (I've been weight lifting for about 3 years?) and got pretty strong with dumbbells (just keep increasing the weight), bodyweight exercises (especially during a HIIT workout,) and PULL-UPS!

Oh, and online videos are REALLY helpful. Watch them, take notes. Crossfit.com has a section full of instructional videos. But I'm still warning you...Be careful and take things SLOW! You don't want to throw your back out!

Thanks Jess. I'm still doing weights the conventional way - bicep curls, tricep extension - by isolating the muscle groups. I want to do more functional ones that involve various muscle groups.

Try doing shoulder presses, deadlifts with your dumbbells (try them one-legged too!), chair dips, renegade rows, squats with weight, and push-ups/burpees. These use more major muscle groups and are a little more demanding than a bicep curl, for instance...Do you feel like you're really WORKING when you're doing your isolation exercises?

Not really. I do about 10-20 min of weights and although my muscles tire, it doesn't feel difficult at all. I used to use 5lb dumb bells until recently. And I didn't find the transition to 1o lbs difficult at all. Also, I feel like I can easily do 12-15 reps with the weights. I read on another thread that if you can do more than 8-10, then the weight isn't heavy enough.

Jedi is offline Member

Maba, I thought on another thread you said you wanted to do P90X?

Yeah P90x! I just did shoulders and arms last night, and I felt pretty worked with 12lbs. Seriously maba, try doing bodyweight exercises during a HIIT. My muscles always feel fatigued the next day when I'm doing fast circuits without rest.

@Jedi: Yeah, I got the P90X DVDs but my current schedule does not permit me to spend 1 hour everyday doing it. I hope I can in the future.

@Jess: Do you do it everyday for an hour as recommended? Can it be adapted for a shorter but more intensive workout?

SullynNH Guest

Maba--Tony Horton says you can do one round of each exercise (normally 24 exercise, just do half) this will still give you 80% of the benefit. I've done 3 rounds of X and am starting another one...I do abs on the non-lifting days to keep it shorter too...

Katt is offline Senior Member

On my strength training days, I do pullups, squats (often with a loaded barbell), chest presses (again with a loaded barbell or dumbells), shoulder presses, deadlifts, walking lunges and pushups.

One of the better books I've found is New Ruled for Lifting for Women.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast