Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid problems page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Thyroid problems

Shop Now
    Well I had my appointment last week. I got a message today from the dr. office. "Please call to schedule an appointment to come in and talk to the dr. Your thyroid is really screwed up." lol Nice message. They won't talk to me over the phone and can't get me in till Friday and I am waiting on the salvia test for hormones and adrenals so I am just going to wait till everything is back. At least I am not crazy and there is something wrong.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    It's a start! Be sure to get a copy of your labs, so you can do some research and what they really mean. Some docs are awesome but most don't have a clue.

It is nice to get some confirmation that you're not making things up, though...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I am new to all this so not really sure what I need to ask. I am wondering if my hormones and adrenal come back wacky as well how they treat everything. I hate drugs. I think Drs. push them too much so I will want to really know what is necessary and what isn't. I will get copies of all my results. I hope the other test results come back quickly.

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Well if your thyroid is screwed up then that answers some mysteries, doesn't it.
    Before you go, check out this website
    Stopthethyroidmadness.com so you have an idea of what you are walking into. Good luck Betty, I know you have been struggling for awhile and know how frustrating it is to not have answers.
    Calm the f**k down.

Thanks, I will check out that link.

I am really hoping things can get straightened out. I would really love to feel like me again.

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    If you choose to medication to help, bio-identical hormones are wonderful. Ask your doc about the options.
    I was on a synthetic hormone for 2 years and had no idea ths it was part of the problems i was having, once i switched, things went back to the way they should have been all along.
    One thing that will help is to avoid unfermented soy products. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-aler...about-soy.html
    and raw cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach... (these are all fine if cooked) as they also inhibit thyroid function.

good luck to you, stick with PB and you will be you again...

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girl scout View Post
    If you choose to medication to help, bio-identical hormones are wonderful. Ask your doc about the options.
    I was on a synthetic hormone for 2 years and had no idea ths it was part of the problems i was having, once i switched, things went back to the way they should have been all along.
    One thing that will help is to avoid unfermented soy products. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-aler...about-soy.html
    and raw cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach... (these are all fine if cooked) as they also inhibit thyroid function.

good luck to you, stick with PB and you will be you again...
    So, girl scout ... what were the problems you were having with synthetic thyroid hormones?

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    Debbie,
    My hair was thining, head fog, lethargy, and i just didn't feel good. It was to a point that they were gonna have to up my dosage. I had to go to a naturopath in order to get the bio-identical hormones as my regular doc. wouldn't even talk with me about them. Now all of the other symptoms have gone and i just plain feel better.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Betty-
    I'm like you in not liking 'meds,' but keep in mind that what you're prescribed for your thyroid are not 'medications' but supplemental hormones to replace those that your thyroid is no longer producing (if you're hypothyroid). Many people (like the previous poster) want 'natural' hormones, but I've done fine on synthetic for years and years.

I understand why they wouldn't discuss your condition in a phone message, but I agree that the message they left about your thyroid being "really screwed up" is weird and unprofessional.

Educate yourself about thyroid issues from the site listed above, but keep in mind that many 'thyroid advocates' are extremists. I also check things with my endo (whom I really trust), and since thyroid problems aren't 'cured,' and you'll need to deal with this long term, make sure this is a doctor that you have confidence in. For example, if you're diagnosed as hypo, the doctor should be regularly checking both T4 and T3. Anyone who checks only T4 isn't well versed in thyroid treatment, and you'd be surprised how many docs, including endos, don't bother checking T3--since they didn't learn about that in medical school and haven't read anything since then.

In addition, the doctor should prescribe your dosage based on symptoms as well as lab results. And this is another reason to have a good relationship with the doctor. For example, I was feeling tired and lethargic and wanted to raise my Cytomel (T3), but my endo thought that the lab values were fine. He agreed to raise the dosage based on how I felt because he also trusted me to notify him immediately if I had any 'hyper' symptoms. Too much thyroid can cause cardiac problems, which is why most doctors are very conservative in treatment. However, it turned out that my increased Cytomel was exactly what I needed.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I'm on 175mg Sythroid and have "stablized" for now. It's not a pleasant road to go down but once you get regulated (however you decide to do that) then most of the symptoms go away. I still sleep a ton and I'm constantly cold but everything else seems to be ok but likely never "normal".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast