Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Primal/Paleo Intro for My Curious Doctor? page

wilberfan is offline Senior Member

A Good Primal/Paleo Intro for My Curious Doctor?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just got back from a visit to the doctor, and was seen by both my regular dude and a young intern. The intern did most of the intake interview, etc, and I felt obligated to mention my major change in diet 6 weeks ago (Vegan to Primal) as I wondered if my malady was in any way diet related. (For the faint-of-heart I'll just say "I blew out an O-Ring"...)

He (of course) didn't know what Primal was, and I was a little reluctant to get into it (assuming he'd just roll his eyes and make a note in my chart to the effect that, "patient possibly insane").

He surprised me, though, by being interested/curious, and I offered to send him a link(s). He admitted that they get almost ZERO nutritional training in med school, and seemed quite interested in what I was describing as "the latest scientific thinking on an optimal diet"...

Can anyone recommend a good link or three that would offer a credible, persuasive outline--one that wasn't too lengthy? Something that could be absorbed in less than 5 or 10 minutes? I'd hate to miss this opportunity!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by TigerLily; 11-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

lcme is offline Senior Member
    IDK. As a person interested in medical school and with an evidence-based approach to food science, I find that link weak.

Sorry I'm not more constuctive though OP. I can't really sum up being convinced by PB with a few links. I really liked the book "good calories, bad calories," but some of his hypotheses are incorrect and might weaken your standing...

Edit:
    Mark's blog is actually a great starting place, but I don't know if you were trying to seem more connected to the data than the ideas. His PB 101 is such a great resource and a really great launching pad for sowing the seeds of CW doubt.
    Last edited by lcme; 11-30-2010 at 01:58 PM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

jturk is offline Senior Member
    I think this is a good, convincing overview of the major principles (I'm a physician, and it was one of the first things I read).

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Dr. Kurt Harris's blog is also a great place to send a physician but takes a little more digging.

And I think every physician should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
    Last edited by jturk; 11-30-2010 at 04:19 PM.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    I really liked the book "good calories, bad calories," but some of his hypotheses are incorrect and might weaken your standing...
    What hypotheses have been proven incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    What hypotheses have been proven incorrect?
    Honestly I soaked it all up myself without questions and I have a biochem background. I guess I just want to believe everything that supports what I think is true. The problems apparently lie in his alternate hypothesis about carbohydrates being the problem (I can't remember what he named the section).

Taubes says that insulin locks fat in your cells and it can't get out unless insulin levels are low, hence why a high carbohydrate diet makes you fat. There is some well supported science that was already in print when he published his book that illustrates that the OPPOSITE is actually true for insulin resistant (IR) people, insulin FAILS to hold fat in the cells. Most IR individuals have an excess of fat, but there are some that actually lack body fat, and Taubes' hypothesis fails to explain this phenomenon.

I'm probably not explaining it completely right, I haven't looked deeply into it, because I do believe that the heart of GCBC is correct, that excessive carbohydrates are to blame for most obesity, not fat.

I'll go search for the thread where I found out about the weaknesses.

Edit:
    I can't find it. Try a quick Google. There are a lot of people who say that Taubes only picked studies that supported what he said, while accusing others of doing the same. You have to search pretty hard to find an eloquent and scientific review of it though.
    Last edited by lcme; 11-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    So you're saying your doctor is pri-curious?
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    So you're saying your doctor is pri-curious?
    hahaha

I guess we all have a curious phase before realizing what we are meant to do.

drbrik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    His PB 101 is such a great resource and a really great launching pad for sowing the seeds of CW doubt.
    This is where I send all my patients to give them an introduction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast