Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a terrible time getting off the Junk Food page

gymrat is offline Junior Member

Having a terrible time getting off the Junk Food

Primal Fuel
    I am glucose intolerent (pre-diabetic) and really need to make a big change in my diet. Because I've been insulin resistant for so long, I have chronic low blood sugar. My body just keeps cranking out loads of insulin until some gets into my cells but then I'm left with too much and my blood sugar crashes. This happens starting with breakfast and going until dinner. When my blood sugar goes low, I'll eat anything in sight, especially carbs.

I figure that getting on this plan would be the best thing for me. I may have to do it in stages. Like giving up sugar first for a week, then crackers and other junky carbs, then finally the grains.

Does anyone have experience with blood sugar going too low or having really bad cravings for sugar and carbs? Any help or advice is appreciated.

A little info. about me: I'm 43 years old, mom of 2. I need to lose about 30 lbs. I've been doing CrossFit about 2x/week since January and have lost about 10 lbs with just the exercise. Other exercise would just include walking/hiking/some biking. I eat pretty healthy other than the sugar. Whole grains, brown rice, whole grain pasta (all of which I realize I'll have to give up).

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think most people go through a tough adjustment period to wean off the drug that sugar is. I know I did. The key for me was removing the grains at the same time. There are too many grain-based foods that have sugar included. With both being a no-no, there were no grey areas where I could rationalize "well, it only has a little sugar...." and before I know it, I'd have eaten my bodyweight in sugar

So I suggest giving up the sugar and the grains, focus on really really yummy primal food so that the other stuff quickly becomes bland and unappetizing (NEVER thought I'd feel that way about pasta, but I do!)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I would actually suggest giving up the grains first. It was much easier for me to cut my sugar intake after dropping all grains. In fact, I had very few sugar cravings this way. Replace the carbs from the grains with some good fats and you will have an easier time dropping the sugar.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Dragonfly. Unless you are consuming a ton of sugar, grains are probably wreaking as much or more havoc on your blood sugar that the sugar is. Now, if you are drinking soda and eating candy every day, you may need to cut both. As soon as I cut grains out of my diet, that horrible, "must eat something or I will die" feeling, with the sweating and shaking hands, went away.

Eat meat and fat in place of grains and sugar to start with. I think you will find that your blood sugar will stabilize just from that.

gymrat is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your input. It's good to see other people have the results I want, especially the blood sugar stabilizing. I will try cutting out the grains and sugar tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Lizch, I like your statement at the bottom "skinniest I've ever been and least stressed about food". That would be so great.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    When I atea grain rich diet, my blood sugar would plummet a couple of hours later. Now i can go an easy sicpxteen hours, daily.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Get off the grains. The only way to get a real understanding of what it feels like to get all the junk out is to get off them and stay off them long enough for your body to retune itself to a healthy appetite and healthy energy. What is hard to understand until you get past it for a few days is that craving junk, and I include grains in junk, is the biggest symptom that things are screwed up. You will LOVE not fighting those cravings. I always bought the party line that you just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and resist those cravings harder. The question that should be asked is, what's wrong that I have these crazy cravings? Good luck. You are on the right path!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Get all that stuff out of the house if you can. Fill your pantry with healthy primal foods... that way if you do end up eating "everything in sight" it won't be that bad.

Good luck!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i agree, also, with going grain-free first. get your head/body around the basics of primal, and then move away from sugars.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    My sister has a problem similar to yours, and her issue is that when she tries to wean herself from the junk, she also doesn't eat for long periods (stressful job), and that's why her blood sugar crashes and she turns to a candy bar for 'recovery.'

So my advice would be to go primal as quickly as possible but NOT to do any fasting. In fact, I'd advise you to have primal foods readily available and snack frequently to keep your blood sugar stable. Once you're stabilized and off the junk, you can gradually increase the time between eating, but you may always need to eat more frequently than most people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast