Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking oils page

nutritionut is offline Member

Cooking oils

What kinds of oils do you cook in? I used to cook in olive oil until I learned that it doesn't tolerate high heat. Currently I've been using Safflower oil, but I'm not a fan of the high polyunsaturated fat content. I know coconut oil is a high heat oil, but I don't want everything I cook to taste like Hawaii.

Any suggestions? Mac nut oil? Avocado oil?

http://nutritionut.wordpress.com/

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Refined coconut oil is ideal; neutral flavor, and can tolerate a very high heat.

Also, hang onto any of the fat that comes off of cooked beef, lamb, or pork. It can handle tons of heat, but you'll want to save it for dishes where the beefy/porky flavor fits in.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Butter! I think I have read on the board that all animal fats are the most recommended for cooking with heat. I've also found that one brand of coconut oil I use has NO coconut taste, while the other, as you put it, tastes like "hawaii" so I frequently use the "flavorless" one for cooking savory dishes.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Question about the oil, because I'm still new to cooking and still determining the difference between a pot and skillet.. JK

Would you just coat the grill/pan whatever you are using to cook the steak/chicken with coconut oil, -or- would you coat the meat?

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    The pan.... o_0

theholla is offline Senior Member
    For high-temperature cooking, I use either refined coconut oil or ghee. You can make your own ghee from any unsalted butter. Lard and tallow also can withstand high temperatures.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    For high-temperature cooking, I use either refined coconut oil or ghee. You can make your own ghee from any unsalted butter. Lard and tallow also can withstand high temperatures.
    Salted butter works just as well for making ghee.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Butter to be used for high-heat cooking should be clarified, or ghee, otherwise the milk proteins will burn. Clarified butter is butter with the proteins skimmed and residual water removed, ghee is clarified butter with the proteins toasted in the fat, which provides a nutty flavor. Refined olive oil ("pure" vs "extra virgin") also tolerates high heat, as can high-quality (low acidity) extra virgin olive oil.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I used Coconut Oil and grass fed Beef and Lamb Tallow. Both beef and lamb tallow are very stable and have a higher smoke point than coconut oil and ghee.

Being on the subject, I find it interesting that once upon a time fast food joints like McDonald would cook with beef tallow. Whatever happened to the good old days?
    Last edited by Zed; 11-30-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It depends on what I'm cooking.

Meat gets lard or tallow.
    Eggs get coconut oil or butter.
    Veggies get coconut oil or olive oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast