Thread: Low Iron, B12, and testosterone? page

Jenn is offline Senior Member

Low Iron, B12, and testosterone?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, just had my blood tested and I am deficient in iron, B 12 and testosterone! I'm a 27 yr old female, eat more red meat than any other girl I know, my energy is fine, and I don't have digestive issues. The low iron baffles me. The only thing that I have noticed lately is my hair is thinner and doesn't look as "healthy" as it used to. What gives? Does anyone know if a certain disease has these symptoms? Thanks

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I have low iron too, the result of heavy periods. I didn't have any fatigue issues from it, but I was starting to experience restless legs at night, which can be an anemia symptom.

I didn't even realize my periods were heavy until a friend talked about being diagnosed with them, and when she talked about her flow I realized mine was much heavier. I guess it just got a little heavier over the years so I didn't really notice.

I fixed the iron (well, am still fixing it!) mostly be cooking on cast iron, but also a little supplementation too.

No clue on the B12 and testosterone though.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thanks Liz. One more puzzle piece. I have been on Yasmin for a little over 4 years but just got off it ( as in 2 weeks ago) because I don't want to put any more chemicals in my body. Maybe the bc was causing deficiencies?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Ooooh yes....google Yasmin B12 and a TON of links come up saying Yasmin causes deficiency.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Is your iron low? Or your hemeglobin?

When I suspected myself of being iron deficient the MD looked at my Red Blood Cells (RBCs). The number and size of RBCs is indicative of the amount of hemeglobin. Hemeglobin synthesis depends on iron, but your heme levels can be low for reasons other than iron. Specifically, if your B12 is low...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Ooooh yes....google Yasmin B12 and a TON of links come up saying Yasmin causes deficiency.
    wow. alarm bells for sure. It looks as if Yasmin is able to bind B12, effectively inhibiting uptake in the small bowel.

I CANNOT BELIEVE that a doc put me on this without monitoring my B12. That is ridiculous.
    Last edited by lcme; 11-30-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Wow, thanks you guys. I googled yasmin and b12, scary. LCME, my iron is low, not sure about hemeglobin. Taking iron pills and b12 shots.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    When I was on chemical bcp, a naturopath told me that this suppresses your body's absorption of B-vitamins, including B-12, folic acid and B-6. He instructed me to take a high dose B-complex vitamin daily for at least a year after stopping the pills. Seemed to help.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bee Pollen contains Iron, B-12 and Vitamin C: http://www.envirobee.com/beepollen2.htm

Cooking acidic foods in a cast Iron skillet will add iron to your food. (Like something that has tomatoe sauce). There have been stories on the news this week about the harmful effects of Yasmin.