Thread: We're Gonna Groove page

The Crunge is offline Junior Member

We're Gonna Groove

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

I'm a former lurker who just registered, and this is going to be my journal. I've been reading MDA and (trying to) follow PB for a while, finally decided to join up and help support this great community. I've had some upheaval in my life recently and I'm really trying to re-focus on my health, get back on the PB track and keep myself consistent and accountable. Hopefully this journal will help with the accountability.

I'm a 37-year-old guy who's been exercising pretty regularly since college (lifting mostly). Been in and out of shape lots of times (sugar addict), but never too far gone - even when my cravings have gotten the best of me for weeks at a time and I've gone way off track, I'd still be in the gym 3 times a week. I'm just under 6ft tall, about 205 lbs right now, and even though I do carry a decent amount of muscle, I'm a good 20 lbs. heavier than I should or want to be. Would like to be somewhere between 180 and 185, thought the actual number doesn't matter to me as much as getting down to a lean level of bodyfat (10%ish?).

Here we go...

I'm journaling to keep myself on track for during my personal 30-day challenge, which I started Sunday.

Goals:

• Strict PB for 30 days – no grains, sugar, or cheats
    • In bed by 11pm / 8 hours of sleep a night
    • Resistance train 3x week – 2 days heavy full-body weight training; 1 bodyweight complexes, a la Simplefit
    • Maintain strength (I realize increase on PB with a caloric deficit is unlikely)
    • Walk 2-3x a week
    • Sprint once a week
    • Grow a holiday beard
    • Lose 20 lbs (probably a stretch goal for 30 days)
    • Play my new drums an hour a day (probably not really a stretch goal)

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    drumming and a beard.... I like this challenge!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to it!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Catching up on the past couple days, since my "challenge" started Sunday:

Sunday
    Fasted till 6:30pm to kickstart things. Pretty impressed with myself since I went to the Broncos game (man are they bad) with my brother, and did not partake in any food or drink. That might be a first for me at a sporting event.
    Dinner: ½ lb. ground beef sautéed with onions, garlic, and a couple handfuls of chopped baby spinach.
    Later: Liquid Fat Bomb. My first, and it was goooood. I used 3 eggs, no sweetener, and only a couple drops of vanilla. I'll try a tsp. next time. Also, used too much ice. But it was nice!

Monday
    Breakfast: My go-to breakfast shake: 1.5 scoops of whey, 1 cup frozen berries, 21 almonds (not 22!), 1 pack frozen Acai. 520 cals. (even though I'm not really gonna count calories if I can help it).

Weight: 201
    Nice 3-lb. water weight drop from Friday, when I was stuffed from Turkey day. That's always encouraging to see at the start.

Workout: Full-body weight training. All exercises include a light and medium warmup set, except the arm supersets.
    • 5-minute treadmill warm up@ 4mph, 4% incline
    • Barbell lunge: 3 sets @ 115 x 7
    • DB incline: 70's x 6; 75's x 6; 80's x 6
    • DB singe-arm row: 65 x 6; 70 x 6; 75 x 6
    • DB shoulder press: 65's x 6; 2 @ 70's x 6
    • DB curl/skullcrusher superset: 2 @ 40's x 7
    • 5-minute treadmill cool down@ 4mph, 2% incline

Was wiped by the end, heart was still racing during my cool down. The low-cal/carb day on Sunday took its toll. Probably need to reduce my weights or volume to survive. Gonna have to check my ego at the door, dammit.

Lunch: 5 eggs fried in butter, 5 thick-cut pieces of bacon. This was a lot of food.

Snack: Coconut butter -- I guess a few tablespoons? (even though I dug it out with a fork). Just got a jar of it last night, after reading about it on here. Need to watch myself around this stuff.

Dinner: Chili w/1 lb. London broil, 1 can diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices. Served with a few dollops of sour cream. Not bad for having no peppers and just throwing it together and cooking for about 30 minutes. Ate most of it.

Snack: 3 small pieces (or 1/6 of a bar, or 1/2 serving) of Chocolove 77% dark chocolate bar. Usually snack on the Lindt 90%, expected this to taste way better/sweeter. It was okay.
    Last edited by The Crunge; 11-30-2010 at 08:24 AM.

@ MeatMe & Jenny, thanks for popping in!

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Lurker no more! I think you should post before shots of your current facial hair situation so we can see how you go in 30 days!

Thanks jazmin. Not sure about the face pic, I think I'm gonna try to stay anonymous. Besides, I just shaved Sunday, there's not much to show yet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tuesday
    Breakfast: n/a

Weight: 200

Workout: 30-minute (2 mi.) treadmill walk @ 4mph, 2% incline. Shot baskets for 15 minutes.
    Felt weak and huuungry after. Leg soreness is starting to creep in from yesterday's lunges.

Lunch: My standard breakfast shake (whey, berries, almonds, acai)

Snack: Small handful of walnuts; a few tablespoons (?) of coconut butter. Again, I need to watch it with this stuff.

Today has been a little rough. I can tell my body is starting to wonder what's up with the reduced carbs and cals. Proud of making it through the afternoon with only a couple primal snacks. Tonight will be a challenge, sugar cravings always seem to hit me at night. Trying to combat that partially by going to bed on time. It's very much a mental challenge for me too, as I've been through so many stop-starts where I'm good for 2 or 3 days and then I fall off the wagon. Not this time!

Dinner: Two 1/4 lb. grass-fed burgers, each with a slice of thick-cut bacon, tomato, and mayo on romaine leaf "buns"; homemade baked sweet potato fries with a small one - sliced and tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper. These were goooood, but I think I'll try to keep my sweet potato consumption more in the post-workout window. Last night I was just crashing hard so I felt like I needed a little boost.

Snack: 3 small squares of dark chocolate.
    Last edited by The Crunge; 12-01-2010 at 08:25 AM.