Thread: Urgent! Probiotics for Children page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Urgent! Probiotics for Children

Shop Now
    My neice's 7 year old daughter has been sick continually this fall. In 11 days they are going to a resort in the Dominican Republic to spend time with their severely immunocompromised grandfather.

I am suggesting that they add probiotics to the kid's diets ASAP for their protection and their grandfather's. What product would you recommend that is likely to be available at local health food stores in the Princeton NJ area?

I assume something more than just live culture yogurt would be recommended here?

I am also going to suggest to my niece that they back away from the grains...a gentle intro to primal ;>).

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    IIRC there is a huge Whole Foods in Princeton. They would definitely have the same as I get here at my little whole foods. The Jarrow Formulas Jarro-Dophilus for kids is a good multi-strain probiotic. I would go with that one. Or, since she's 7 I think she could just take an adult one by Jarrow, they're basically the same.

Thanks!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    You may want to read this thread about vitamin D, if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    You may want to read this thread about vitamin D, if you haven't already.
    Thanks Dragonfly, I had not read the thread since I have been way ahead of the Vitamin D curve and I don't have any young children at home any more.

Googling Vitamin D and children brought up this:
    The nation's leading pediatricians group says children from newborns to teens should get double the usually recommended amount of vitamin D because of evidence that it may help prevent serious diseases.

To meet the new recommendation of 400 units daily, millions of children will need to take daily vitamin D supplements, the American Academy of Pediatrics said. That includes breast-fed infants — even those who get some formula, too, and many teens who drink little or no milk.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27149764...and_parenting/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I really recommend you read the thread. : ) Current researchers' recommendations are 1000 IUs per 25 lb of body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I really recommend you read the thread. : ) Current researchers' recommendations are 1000 IUs per 25 lb of body weight.
    Will do

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    Kefir is a great source of probiotics for a kid it would be almost like liquid yogurt but with way more valuable bacteria. Fermented cod liver oil is a good source for vit D3 and omega3...

Quote Originally Posted by girl scout View Post
    Kefir is a great source of probiotics for a kid it would be almost like liquid yogurt but with way more valuable bacteria. Fermented cod liver oil is a good source for vit D3 and omega3...
    I did not realize that the strains in kefir will colonize the intestinal tract whearas those in yogurt don't. Who knew, it's kefir for me too! It is interesting to learn that kefir is produced with fermented grains that are reused over and over, and contains a yeast, unlike yogurt which can be made with a lactobacillus starter from a previous batch.