Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waking up at night for no apparent reason page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Waking up at night for no apparent reason

Primal Fuel
    I'm on the paleo/primal blueprint for a month, and the last few days I've been waking up (eyes closed) at 4am. Normally I can easily get to sleep in seconds, but these times it has been very hard to sleep again. I'm not getting as much hours of rest as I did (usually 8 or a bit more).

Before you say it, I don't want naps, I rather get that tiredness during the day and use it at night =)

Another thing I noticed, is that a couple of these times I noticed my blood pressure high (my neck veins were beating kind of fast), which is weird, since I'm on a rest state.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Go to sleep later? Your body is supercharged it needs no more sleep.

PALEO!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    How low carb are you?

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    @iniQuity
    I want to sleep as early as possible, I've read it helps with insulin if you go to bed early and get up early.

@NDF
    Probably 50 to 100 grams max per day.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    @iniQuity
    I want to sleep as early as possible, I've read it helps with insulin if you go to bed early and get up early.
    Interesting, do you have any references for this claim. I've never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, as far as your sleeping paterns go, I would not stress over it. Simply sleep/nap when you are tired and don't when you are not.

It is currently 5:20am now, and I've already woken up, showered, made up my bed, did some stretching exercises, logged into MDA, and posted a few threads. If I happen to get tired this afternoon, I will take a nap. The last thing I'm going to do is worry about what time I wake up or go to bed or how tired or alert I am.

Do you have an alarm clock? If so, throw it out the window, it's useless.

NDF
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    @iniQuity

@NDF
    Probably 50 to 100 grams max per day.
    How long have you been eating low carb?
    Any chance you know what your bodyfat percentage is?

The "happy hormones" that help with good sleep can be down regulated when one eats low carb for too long and/or diets for too long.

NDF
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Do you have an alarm clock? If so, throw it out the window, it's useless.
    When someone isn't well rested and doesn't have a regular sleep pattern, an alarm clock is necessary to prevent people from sleeping in, being late for work, etc.

Once you get into regular sleeping patterns, I agree, an alarm clock isn't necessary. I have been waking up before my alarm goes off for a long time now, but I still set it "just in case".

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    Interesting, do you have any references for this claim. I've never heard of such a thing.
    The book "Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival" goes into detail on the hormonal effect of sleep, sleep environment, and sleep timing. Interesting read -- but be warned, the author is a bit of a whackadoodle. She has a very odd style. I'd have had trouble taking her seriously were it not for repeated recommendations from trusted sources (including Robb Wolf) and the fact that nearly 1/3 of the book comprises the list of references.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I also wake up ~4am pretty much every night for about a year now. Carb levels don't seem to have any affect. I eat pretty high carb on workout days and low carb on rest days and I wake up regardless.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    When someone isn't well rested and doesn't have a regular sleep pattern, an alarm clock is necessary to prevent people from sleeping in, being late for work, etc.
    I know, I am all too familiar with that vicious cycle. However, ditching the alarm clock fixed my sleeping issues long before I ever heard about the Primal Blueprint and I cannot recommend it enough. Perhaps this holiday season will provide an opportunity for the OP to give it a try.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast