Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night shift and Sugar page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Night shift and Sugar

Shop Now
    A security guard with twenty years experience told me today that sugary food helps you stay awake better than coffee (which causes a sugar crash or something).

What is the paleo alternative to this?
    Do we need sugar that much? C
    ould more fat be the key?
    How does being in ketosis change things?

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Maybe -- until you get the sugar crash from the sugar!

I wonder if an analogy is comparing your energy levels pre and post PB. Pre PB - i could be on a manic high half the day, sustained by sugar/grains, but crashing half the day. Now - constant energy levels and generally more energy overall.

sure its his experience and he has a lot of that experience but it would be interesting to see how he finds it compares if he tried PB and no wildly fluctuating sugar levels..

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    I work 12 hour night shifts. In the past I ate plenty of sugary foods, and they don't do a thing for keeping you awake. The only thing that really works is getting enough sleep during the day, which can be hard sometimes. These days I fast during the time at work with the excpetion of a cup of coffee at at about 1am. I do better now without food than before.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    My husband stays up at all hours of the night. He isn't Primal. He basically lives off of sugar; I teasingly call him a hummingbird. Everyone is a little bit different but he said he will routinely grab a sugary snack at work to stay awake.

Mamasita is offline Junior Member
    You'll eventually have more energy with PB; especially after eating bacon!! If you need the boost though, which we all do at some point... take
    B Vitamins! It works... as does mate : pronounced mot tay ( it is a tea, and the stimulant is similar to that of caffeine but you don't crash!! Trust me, it works! Good luck

kitana is offline Senior Member
    The best way to stay awake is to get enough sleep. Yes - sugar helps keep me awake, but you have to keep eating it every 2-3 hrs or your blood sugar will plummet and you'll be wiped out. So you get into a vicious cycle and pretty soon you can't live any other way. This used to be my 'normal', and the profound relief I feel at being off that rollercoaster still bemuses me. The tradeoff is that I can't give myself a sugar injection when I need a boost, but to me it's more than worth it to have some measure of sanity with regards to food.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I used to use sugar candies on long drives. Not just for the sugar, but for something to chew.
    Nowadays, I would likely just use nuts and/or dried fruits (sparingly). On the other hand, I'm less likely to try to do 18 hour drives by myself now...far more sensible.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The mistake on the night shift is to pretend that you aren't going to want to eat at 4am. I'm on midnights 14 years now and I can't tell you how many people eat out of the snack machines all night, you've got to pack a good meal or you'll be right there with them.

No different than the daytime office workers and their morning and afternoon sugar fix via donut or other sugary crap. False energy.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Aw, Bushrat, I thought this was going to be a great story about your adventures one night with someone named Sugar. I'll check some other threads for excitement.

Stay healthy.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Aw, Bushrat, I thought this was going to be a great story about your adventures one night with someone named Sugar. I'll check some other threads for excitement.

Stay healthy.
    That story is still in the making. I am determined to tear this country apart to find a girl named Sugar now.

@ Everyone else: Thanks for the feedback. I won't be doing just night shifts. I'll be doing as much casual work as I can get (though I would prefer night shifts) but I may have to be awake for 24 hours so I'll definitely need something to keep me alert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast