Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: big tummy, no butt, swollen face page

pucca is offline Member

big tummy, no butt, swollen face

Shop Now
    these are what i'm dealing with now - even though i'm not overweight. i've heard that these can be hypothyroid symptoms. i wake up with a swollen face every morning. i have too much belly fat and not enough butt fat. how do i lose belly fat and gain butt fat and lose the facial swelling? i'm also developing jowls......yuck. is that also hypothyroid?

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    You cannot gain butt fat. You can gain butt muscle by doing squatz and lunges. Do you eat grains or drink alcohol?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Those aren't any hypothyroid symptoms I've ever heard of (and I am hypothyroid as well as a medical transcriptionist). Suffering from noassatall has nothing to do with it.

Hypothyroid symptoms include:
    - always cold all the time, feet are like blocks of ice
    - tired all the time
    - hair loss (not just head, but also legs and even eyebrows)
    - hoarse voice
    - difficulty losing weight/sluggish metabolism
    - very dry skin
    - coarse, dry hair
    - slow recovery periods
    - chronic low-grade depression

Anytime my face swells, it's because I've been eating grains or drinking.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I can speak to the face swelling because I've suffered from it fairly severely at times. Eating more cleanly is a requirement- I can't do the 20% that others do (although, DAMN CANDY CORN ALL TO HELL....and why is it still around a month after Halloween....but I digress.).

Also, when I've reduced my fish oil consumption, my face gets puffy again. I take 1 tablespoon twice a day.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

pucca is offline Member
    hm.........i rarely eat grains (just a few times a year). i do drink wine sometimes, but even when i don't, i still wake up puffy faced. and what's with the jowls??? darn, i can't gain butt fat? i desperately need more junk in my trunk.

pucca is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    I can speak to the face swelling because I've suffered from it fairly severely at times. Eating more cleanly is a requirement- I can't do the 20% that others do (although, DAMN CANDY CORN ALL TO HELL....and why is it still around a month after Halloween....but I digress.).

Also, when I've reduced my fish oil consumption, my face gets puffy again. I take 1 tablespoon twice a day.
    maybe i can't do the the 20% either. :-(

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    The flat butt has nothing to do with diet. Obviously, you need to build up your glute muscles. Work that posterior chain!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yup, squats and lunges will work miracles for that butt. Sprints too. Here's an old post of mine on the subject: Who Needs Lulus? Loss of bodyfat in general will help with the belly fat.

As for the puffy face, has your salt intake increased since going primal (bacon)? Could be as simple as retaining water. Frequent stomach bloating can also result from inadequate progesterone, so that might be worth checking into.

Are you getting enough sleep? This has a huge effect on hormonal balance.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

lizch is offline Senior Member
    What kind of pillow do you sleep on? Just wondering if you have some sort of reaction to the material it's made from. Do you get the swollen face thing even if you sleep somewhere different (like a hotel or the couch)?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

pucca is offline Member
    first of all, awesome article and blog, barbeygirl! i just spent a bunch of time perusing your blog. thanks - i guess i need to start doing squats and lunges. yep, i guess i just need a butt lift, instead of more fat. however, i don't really want to lose overall bodyfat, as i think i'm at a good level for my age (around 20%). i'm 42 and i just recently on purpose gained more fat, because i was at around 12-13% for a while. that was probably the reason for my messed up hormones and no period since 5 years ago. trying to get it back, btw. i just want to redistribute the belly fat somehow, as i know that belly fat is unhealthy. plus i wouldn't mind seeing my 6 pack. i probably don't get enough sleep, but i think that is caused by my LOW hormone levels - all of them - thyroid, estradiol, progesterone, testosterone. except my cortisol i'm sure is too high. ugh. actually sleep has gotten much better since getting acupuncture on a somewhat regular basis. got one very light period a few months ago too. as far as salt intake, my blood sodium level has been chronically low for the past 4 years or so (hyponaetremia, or something like that) i have to purposely eat more salt - i use pink himalayan. believe or not i don't like bacon.

and finally, i haven't switched pillows lately. maybe i've developed an allergy to the material though? and i haven't slept somewhere different in a while. maybe i should and see what happens.

thanks for everyone's feedback.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast