Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deep frying page

pucca is offline Member

deep frying

Shop Now
    why is deep frying bad? is it because of the temperature? from the recipes i've seen, you only heat the oil to about 300-350 degrees, which isn't that high. we bake things at higher temps than that. why is baking/roasting/broiling/stir frying supposedly healthier?

egger is offline Member
    I've wondered the same thing. Probably 1) What most people want to fry (battered items, dough, potatos) or 2) The energy/expense of using a quality oil like lard or tallow or 3) Something about Advanced Glycogent End-Products (AGE's).

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    People mostly fry in trans fat or seed oils that are high in omega 6s which cause inflammation. Also there is breading for those celiacs. Other than that I would pig out on deep fried items if they are good ones, like the ones fried in animal fats.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Egger
    AGEs are advanced glycation end products. Endogenously produced ones are very bad, exogenous are probably fine as long as they're in small quantities and you have good gut health.

Most people fry in veggie oils that get rancid and have a ton of n-6 even before they got oxidized. not good.

pucca is offline Member
    i thought AGEs formed in any kind of heated food, whether it's deep fried, stir fried, baked, roasted, grilled, etc. also, i guess i was really asking, why is deep frying bad if it's done with good fat, like coconut oil, lard, or duck fat? or even palm oil. are those ok for deep frying? i had duck fat fries this summer at a farmer's fair and they were scrumptious. i know they were potatoes, but i only do that like once a year. i could do sweet potato fries - those are a little better.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Shitty oil, for the most part, that is heated for long periods.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I've been frying up sweet potato chips in pastured pork lard that I rendered down myself. Half a (large) sweet potato makes a ton of delicious chips for the moderate carb hit, and cures my desire for salty snacks.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I would also say it's mostly the quality of the oil. In addition, if you heat the oil to the proper temp., less of it is absorbed by the food. (At least that's what they say on the Food channel!) I don't think it's necessarily worse than other methods, as long as you're using good fats and proper technique.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    I remember the oil producing another chemical when food is fried, but it's been a number of years since I read that. Anyone know anything about that?

pucca is offline Member
    well, there's the acrylamide, a carcinogen formed by baking carbs at high temps. bread, crackers, potatoes, etc. then there's the heterocyclic amines, another carcinogen formed by cooking protein (?) or maybe anything at high temps. grilling/charring are especially bad. are either of those what you were thinking? i'm sure there are many more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast